Reading for yourself could be dangerous?

Leila_selda

Hi all,

I had a interesting conversation with my friend today. She is wiccan and very wise and knows a lot of stuff about the spirtuel world. I told her that i sometimes do readings for myself. She told me not to do it anymore. That you should only read for others because its dangerous to read for yourself.

I would like to hear your expertise and opinions about this.
And why it could be dangerous.

BlueSun

Did your friend say why it is dangerous?

barefootlife

I have no idea why your friend thinks it could be dangerous, but I don't practice wicca. I read for myself all the time. Some people are disinclined because they're concerned about their ability to read a thread for themselves honestly instead of trying to find the positive light, or that a negative spread might shift their attitude on a subject. It probably depends a lot on your philosophy about where card readings 'come from', as it were.

Leila_selda

Hi barefootlife,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes i agree with you. I also thinks it depends on the reader. How the reader read the cards. And what choices they make after the reading. Its like reading a word everyone can read or understand a word differently. I think its the same with tarot. Its about the actions you take wheater good or bad cards came up. Thats what i think and believe. I also have no clue why she thinks it dangerous.
I have no idea why your friend thinks it could be dangerous, but I don't practice wicca. I read for myself all the time. Some people are disinclined because they're concerned about their ability to read a thread for themselves honestly instead of trying to find the positive light, or that a negative spread might shift their attitude on a subject. It probably depends a lot on your philosophy about where card readings 'come from', as it were.

Gwynydd

I think what she should have said is, 'it works for me to only read for others'. She has no business telling you what you should do. I'm always wary of people who want to force their spiritual ideas onto others. Is there a part of you thinking, 'well, I can't see why it would be a problem?' if so, do what you want! I'm so sick to death of the 'you shoulds' and 'you shouldn'ts' of the tarot and spiritual world. They 'should' shut their mouths, lol

Edited to add: use your best judgement on this: has anything dangerous ever happened to you as a result of you reading for yourself? If not, there's your answer. I can honestly say nothing dangerous has ever happened to me from reading for myself, and I do it a lot.

Leila_selda

Hi Gwynydd,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you that she should have no business about what i should do.
She is very protective of me and i guess she has her reasons why she told me not to read for myself. I told her that i read tarot in my own way.

And yes i also hate people like that. Trowing some kind of relligion or spiritual believe on you!
Or telling you what you should or shouldent do. I also think that people should believe in there own stuff and be respected for that.

Well no nothing bad has ever happend to me. The only difference i feel is that my intuition is stronger. And sometimes feel presence in a room. But nothing scary.
I think what she should have said is, 'it works for me to only read for others'. She has no business telling you what you should do. I'm always wary of people who want to force their spiritual ideas onto others. Is there a part of you thinking, 'well, I can't see why it would be a problem?' if so, do what you want! I'm so sick to death of the 'you shoulds' and 'you shouldn'ts' of the tarot and spiritual world. They 'should' shut their mouths, lol

Gwynydd

I like a lot of wiccans, but like every religion, you do get the odd one or two people, who think their way is the only way. And those people can be very vocal about their belief in the 'law of three' (as an example), which if someone believes that, fine, but they need to be aware that other people are free not to believe it. Sorry, a pet peeve of mine, lol

DaughterOfDanu

I don't see any real danger in reading for yourself. I've heard the superstition that it can't be done, but again I disagree.

The only risk I've come across is how personal bias and point of view come into play with a reading. It sometimes pays to be emotionally removed when doing readings. But then again I've had times where I felt being emotionally invested in a reading helped too.

That bias can make doing readings for yourself confusing and unclear at times. But other than that I've never known of any danger.

Amigone

I feel like someone told me that a long time ago too. I think it's an old wives tale like "You should only use a deck you received as a gift". As far as it being a Wiccan thing, I don't think so. None of the books I've read on Wicca say you shouldn't read for others (I am not Wiccan though).

I think a more practical statement is to not read for yourself too often. So don't lay out a ten card spread for yourself daily! But I think a daily card draw is fine. And if you want to do a massive reading for yourself every day, well it's your life :)

I do large readings for mysekf once a month and then small 1-3 card readings every few days (2-3 days) as it keeps me sharp since I don't get out much.