What do you love most about RWS?

Richard

The RWS (especially the Smith-Waite Centennial version in the Commemorative Set) is my favorite Tarot deck and has been so for many, many years. Like most people, I used to read it intuitively (without notable success). However, within the past ten years, I discovered the connection between this deck and the Western Mystery Tradition (in which A. E. Waite and Pamela Colman Smith were actively involved), and the meanings of the cards have begun to open up like flowers. Most people read the RWS only intuitively, but for me the most enjoyable thing about the deck is the deeper magical meanings embedded in the images by Smith and Waite. Unfortunately this involves learning a little technical background material, to which a lot of people apparently are allergic. Anyhow, MagsStardustBlack, good luck with the deck, however you decide to use it.

Bhavana

i'm not sure exactly what it is that i love about the RWS - the nostalgia plays a big part, the fact that it looks like what a tarot deck should look like to me. It wasn't the deck I learned with, but it's one i used early on, so it is like a "basic" for me, the little black dress of the tarot world. No matter what, i know I can pick up this deck and use it and be able to see clearly with it.

I have several versions, but prefer the ones with the best cardstock - the PCS being one, China printings too - or the very early Switzerland printings.

MagsStardustBlack

The RWS (especially the Smith-Waite Centennial version in the Commemorative Set) is my favorite Tarot deck and has been so for many, many years. Like most people, I used to read it intuitively (without notable success). However, within the past ten years, I discovered the connection between this deck and the Western Mystery Tradition (in which A. E. Waite and Pamela Colman Smith were actively involved), and the meanings of the cards have begun to open up like flowers. Most people read the RWS only intuitively, but for me the most enjoyable thing about the deck is the deeper magical meanings embedded in the images by Smith and Waite. Unfortunately this involves learning a little technical background material, to which a lot of people apparently are allergic. Anyhow, MagsStardustBlack, good luck with the deck, however you decide to use it.

Thanks LRichard for sharing! So for you too it is the magic and mystery of the symbols. I think this is going to be most enjoyable studying this deck. I have the little Arthur Waite book that came with the set but after I read it I will be looking for another book to relate to this deck can you recommend one with emphasis on the symbolism? Is there a particular symbol or origins of symbol that interests you? :.)

MagsStardustBlack

i'm not sure exactly what it is that i love about the RWS - the nostalgia plays a big part, the fact that it looks like what a tarot deck should look like to me. It wasn't the deck I learned with, but it's one i used early on, so it is like a "basic" for me, the little black dress of the tarot world. No matter what, i know I can pick up this deck and use it and be able to see clearly with it.

I have several versions, but prefer the ones with the best cardstock - the PCS being one, China printings too - or the very early Switzerland printings.

Thanks Bhavana!

Yeh I get your point about it 'looking like what a tarot deck should look like'. It is the sort of deck your door to door fortune tellers in the past would carry. And I did notice with the Pamela deck the card stock is great as it is nice and firm and crisp. I also love the tone of the colours as they are not bright, but a lovely cool shade - I hate garnish or insipid colouring. And the cards also feel silky to touch too.

Richard

Thanks LRichard for sharing! So for you too it is the magic and mystery of the symbols. I think this is going to be most enjoyable studying this deck. I have the little Arthur Waite book that came with the set but after I read it I will be looking for another book to relate to this deck can you recommend one with emphasis on the symbolism? Is there a particular symbol or origins of symbol that interests you? :.)
There is not much material available about the Rider-Waite symbolism. Some time ago, Mary K. Greer posted that she is working on a book about this deck. It will probably address the symbolism issue.

At the present time, I am particularly interested in the Tree of Life symbolism in the RWS Major Trumps.

Barleywine

I think this is going to be most enjoyable studying this deck. I have the little Arthur Waite book that came with the set but after I read it I will be looking for another book to relate to this deck can you recommend one with emphasis on the symbolism? Is there a particular symbol or origins of symbol that interests you? :.)

For the Major Arcana, I would recommend The Tarot, A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages by Paul Foster Case. Jessie Burns Parke, the BOTA deck's artist, copied the PCS trumps almost exactly (so much so that Case complained mildly about it in the book.)

For the Minor Arcana (as well as the Majors, of course) you could try to find The Qabalistic Tarot for a reasonable price. (Someone here recently said they found it for $45, which would give me pause.) Robert Wang used the RWS deck as one of his four example decks for each of the card descriptions (the others being the Thoth, a TdM deck and Wang's own Golden Dawn tarot.) In many cases he specifically discussed the meaning of the RWS card. The qabalistic front material alone is worth the price of admission, but there is also a lengthy quote from Waite's autobiography, Shadows of Life and Thought, that describes a little about the genesis of the Rider pack. That autobiography might be worth hunting down as well.

Another possibility for a more condensed (and shallower) discussion of the esoteric symbolism would be Eden Gray's "The Complete Guide to the Tarot," which is an expansion of her earlier works, "The Tarot Revealed" and "Mastering the Tarot," all three of which used the RWS for illustration. I understand that Rachel Pollock's latest book is an attempt to recapture some of the simplicity and economy of Gray's approach.

Also, was the "little Arthur Waite book" you mention the full version of his "Pictorial Key to the Tarot," or just an abbreviated LWB? If the latter, you should definitely get the PKT, even though Waite was sometimes less than forthcoming about the full meaning of the symbolism in the cards (despite his stated intention to tell "the unadorned truth about them").

MagsStardustBlack

There is not much material available about the Rider-Waite symbolism. Some time ago, Mary K. Greer posted that she is working on a book about this deck. It will probably address the symbolism issue.

At the present time, I am particularly interested in the Tree of Life symbolism in the RWS Major Trumps.

Thank so much for your cool opinion. I am not familiar with the term 'Tree of Life'. Going to do some googling :.)

MagsStardustBlack

For the Major Arcana, I would recommend The Tarot, A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages by Paul Foster Case. Jessie Burns Parke, the BOTA deck's artist, copied the PCS trumps almost exactly (so much so that Case complained mildly about it in the book.)

For the Minor Arcana (as well as the Majors, of course) you could try to find The Qabalistic Tarot for a reasonable price. (Someone here recently said they found it for $45, which would give me pause.) Robert Wang used the RWS deck as one of his four example decks for each of the card descriptions (the others being the Thoth, a TdM deck and Wang's own Golden Dawn tarot.) In many cases he specifically discussed the meaning of the RWS card. The qabalistic front material alone is worth the price of admission, but there is also a lengthy quote from Waite's autobiography, Shadows of Life and Thought, that describes a little about the genesis of the Rider pack. That autobiography might be worth hunting down as well.

Another possibility for a more condensed (and shallower) discussion of the esoteric symbolism would be Eden Gray's "The Complete Guide to the Tarot," which is an expansion of her earlier works, "The Tarot Revealed" and "Mastering the Tarot," all three of which used the RWS for illustration. I understand that Rachel Pollock's latest book is an attempt to recapture some of the simplicity and economy of Gray's approach.

Also, was the "little Arthur Waite book" you mention the full version of his "Pictorial Key to the Tarot," or just an abbreviated LWB? If the latter, you should definitely get the PKT, even though Waite was sometimes less than forthcoming about the full meaning of the symbolism in the cards (despite his stated intention to tell "the unadorned truth about them").

Cool - so these are your recomendations:

The Tarot, A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages by Paul Foster Case
The Qabalistic Tarot
Shadows of Life and Thought
Eden Gray's "The Complete Guide to the Tarot''

I take it The Qabalistic Tarot book is hard to come by? I'l do a search. I wonder why Waite chose to disclose the secrets of the symbols then told half truths. Why talk at all? Anyhow this little thread has done what i hoped and given me teasers of info to seek out and build on.

Thanks for offering your advice to me, i feel really enthusiastic with this new deck, like i'v just bought a great book i cant wait to read!

Mags :.)

Yes i think it may be the full version of The Pictorial Key to the Tarot

Ambrosia

This is pretty much me too...

An old 70's or 80's Rider Waite with the softer colours and the papery finish was really my first exposure to Tarot. But I was never really in love with it as such so I bought several clones hoping to find "my" deck.

Bought and used several RWS clone decks over the years but the Rider Waite has always been a go-to for study, symbolism, comparison etc with other decks I'm using.

Fast forward and I find myself returning again and again with a new found reverence and passion for the RWS decks - they read like a dream, and I love the clear and uncluttered images, and agree that they are somewhat nostalgic and comforting to me. The Grand Daddy of most of the clone decks I use, you can't help but have a soft spot for the good old RWS.

Illustrated pip decks are definitely my main focus but I do dabble with the Thoth and the Soprafino style pip decks when the fancy takes me too...there is just so much to study and learn from all these different styles of deck but there's something familiar and visceral about the way a RWS picture triggers my intuition that keeps me coming back to RWS and its variants.

I've been using the Universal Waite standard and pocket decks for years but am now waiting on the Centennial as we speak.

I can hardly contain my excitement!

chongjasmine

I like the pictures in rider waite.
Also, most of the tarot books use the rider waite.
Therefore, I love the rider waite as I can better understand the meaning.