The meaning of the dog upon the Fool

Dreth

that is very true and it makes me think about what it is that makes us human.

Fulgour

Helvetica said:
It's occurred to me that the Tarot shows dogs in two cards:
The Fool and The Moon.
And perhaps too on La Roue de Fortune...

tmgrl2

firemaiden said:
isn't it because the dog, like many predators, knows you attack the one who is already down? The tear in the pants is the tear in the protective covering, a symbolic psychic wound. It is both wound and opening - someone who has suffered a great blow, like the loss of a loved one, will feel "ripped open" in spirit and psyche for a while.

Yes....often the weak ones, the sick ones are the ones open to the predators...they can't "keep up." And, yes, too....when we have been "ripped open" in spirit and wounded deeply emotionally, we are more likely to feel "bitten" by what life sends our way.

Sometimes innocent comments by others, can wound, because of our vulnerability.

This makes me think, too, of how a mother dog, for example, will often not nurse the pup who is weak or who might not make it....Sometimes only external halp (dog's owner, vet) will "save" the pup that would otherwise be killed or shunned and, therefore allowed to die.

Again, the dog symbolizing vulnerability.

We have a saying in our house:

"Remember Buscaglia!" Leo Buscaglia (did I spell that correctly?) tells a story of a young person driving at breakneck speed in an effort to come to the aid of an ailing or dying family member, and, as a result of rushing headlong toward trying to help another or be with another, the person is in a fatal accident.

So..."foolish" disregard for our own well-being when life is dealing us lemons, can seem to be "the dog biting the man with the torn pants."

Remember Buscaglia...when we say it...we mean, take care...this is a time when you are open to more trouble as you worry about someone else's difficulty.

terri

tmgrl2

jmd said:
Only this evening, we were discussing some journeys of a young man across a three hour desert as he was followed by two snarling dogs - which at no instance caused him actual harm (apart from fear), and yet were fierce and attacking to others once this young man reached his port destination.

When I read this I think of horror stories...sort of Stephen King-ish types, where people are traveling between worlds, parallel universes, taken their by their own madness or mental anguish, and, always, it seems that there are

creatures...like packs of mad dogs, or hyenas, or wolves, with vicious fangs lurking about...to be dispelled only by a campfire or by the daylight or by the leaving of a dark forest.

terri

jumptothemoonyea

The dog can be seen as a follower - sometime they lick, sometime bite, but they are always there to remind us: whatever we do, our actions will be reflected on/by others

Major Tom

Letting the question of whether or not it is a dog go begging...

Paul Foster Case from his book The Tarot said:
The little white dog is a descendant of wolves and jackals. Thus he is a human adaptation, whereby something given in a wild and dangerous state by the unmodified processes of nature has been changed into a friend, helper and companion of man. He also indicates the truth that all subhuman forms of the Life-power are elevated and improved by the advance of human consciousness. Finally, ... he is a symbol of intellect, subordinate to superconsciousness.

So according to Paul Foster Case:

Through human intervention with wild animals - dogs (as companions) were created.

All life is improved by advances in human consciousness.

The intellect is subordinate to the higher (or true) self.

Rosanne

All that has been said is wonderful and true. Still I am left with the thought- A simplistic one at that! Sirius rising and grasping Orion by his....... Al Jabbah are you real? Man below wants to know where he is in the Universe. ~Rosanne

Sophie

Rosanne said:
Man below wants to know where he is in the Universe.
Hopping and howling with pain...wouldn't you?

tmgrl2

Rosanne said:
All that has been said is wonderful and true. Still I am left with the thought- A simplistic one at that! Sirius rising and grasping Orion by his....... Al Jabbah are you real? Man below wants to know where he is in the Universe. ~Rosanne

ROFLMHO!!

Or...

Hey, I could use a little help down here!

terri

Michellehihi

I am reviving this old thread, because I want to thank you all who had posted in it. So profound, so true. Thank you for making me think more. While I was reading I even had to go cuddle my dog to thank him for being here with me.
Terri, I love this story about Buscaglia. It reflects so much my situation at present!!! I am running to help my son but I am putting my own mental and physical health at risk in worrying so much!
Yes....often the weak ones, the sick ones are the ones open to the predators...they can't "keep up." And, yes, too....when we have been "ripped open" in spirit and wounded deeply emotionally, we are more likely to feel "bitten" by what life sends our way.

Sometimes innocent comments by others, can wound, because of our vulnerability.

This makes me think, too, of how a mother dog, for example, will often not nurse the pup who is weak or who might not make it....Sometimes only external halp (dog's owner, vet) will "save" the pup that would otherwise be killed or shunned and, therefore allowed to die.

Again, the dog symbolizing vulnerability.

We have a saying in our house:

"Remember Buscaglia!" Leo Buscaglia (did I spell that correctly?) tells a story of a young person driving at breakneck speed in an effort to come to the aid of an ailing or dying family member, and, as a result of rushing headlong toward trying to help another or be with another, the person is in a fatal accident.

So..."foolish" disregard for our own well-being when life is dealing us lemons, can seem to be "the dog biting the man with the torn pants."

Remember Buscaglia...when we say it...we mean, take care...this is a time when you are open to more trouble as you worry about someone else's difficulty.

terri