Tarot for Yourself or 78 Degrees of Wisdom?

Finally, vote the best of them! :)

• 78 Degrees of Wisdom

Votes: 72 62.6%
  • Tarot for Yourself

Votes: 43 37.4%

• Total voters

Jewel

truthsayer said:
yesterday i bought the second edition of "tarot for yourself". mary greer just blows me away. i like the new edition even more than the first edition. she's added things there were in previous books like tarot constellations(OOP) and improved others like the charts.

Thanks for reporting on this! I have the 1st ed. and have had it for about 5 years, love it! Could you give more specifics on the differences between the 1st and 2nd editions?

truthsayer

jewel, i went thru both books fairly carefully to see the similarities and differences. much is the same but i really like the improvements on the charts and additions. this is what the back of the book states the changes are:

*expanded interpretations of the minor arcana
*reversed card meanings for all 78 cards
*an entirely new history based appendix on the latest research and discoveries
*info on your shadow/teacher cards
*a new introduction
*an updated bibliography

you really have to compare the 2 to see what i mean but there are slight changes in text that help make things that i didn't understand completely in the old book make sense this time. the list of cards she uses is updated and OOP ones taken out. the charts are definitely better even if the difference is subtle. it costs $18.99. the cover is a gorgeous shade of blue versus that old ugly brown. i have the 19-10-1 birth combination and she explains that better.

it's subtle things but i think it's worth the money if you really enjoy the book as much as i have over the years. heck! just buy it b/c the cover is prettier! LOL

Jewel

truthsayer said:

*expanded interpretations of the minor arcana
*reversed card meanings for all 78 cards
*an entirely new history based appendix on the latest research and discoveries
*info on your shadow/teacher cards
*a new introduction
*an updated bibliography

it's subtle things but i think it's worth the money if you really enjoy the book as much as i have over the years. heck! just buy it b/c the cover is prettier! LOL

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHH ... must have that blue cover *ROFLMAO* ... thanks Truthsayer, I think I will see if my local book store has it available if not I will order it through Amazon. Some of the charts are a bit confusing so I will really benefit from that change (hopefully), and I like that she adding to the minor arcana interpretations and the reversed card meanings (although I am about to buy her new reversals book). Thanks again!

SherryZoned

Well I do not have tarot for yourself..but I did have 78 and frankly..Did not like it!..it was just OK for me...I traded it away! It seemed Overrated!

ihcoyc

I have never read Tarot for Yourself. I have read 78 Degrees of Wisdom. In my opinion, it's the best thing I have ever read about the Rider-Waite-Smith deck(s). This suits me fine because it's hard to escape familiarity with those images. It would be very difficult to apply what's in that book to other decks, especially if they vary from the RWS imagery.

My current personal favourites, and the books I'd recommend to a new reader, are Gareth Knight's The Magical World of the Tarot, an exploring-style book that has helped me immensely; and Anthony Louis's Tarot Plain and Simple, a great dictionary of keywords (though it sometimes seems a bit haphazard).

Moongold

It is an impossible choice! I think that both books try to do different things and it is hard to say that one is better than the other. Both authors are superb.

Moongold

wavebreaker

Simple choice for me: 78 Degrees of Wisdom.

I have both books, but Tarot for Your Self just isn't for me I guess... I've completed some of the exercises, but I just can't bring myself to continue and finish the book...

Trogon

I'm afraid I just had to vote for 78 Degrees for two reasons. #1; like so many others here, it has taught me more than the other Tarot book I have. #2;... I don't have Tarot for Yourself... :|

Minderwiz

Ahhhhhhhh! I have both these books and find them equally useful - though for different things. I just can't choose between them. Everyone should have both of them :)

Minderwiz

WolfSpirit

I voted for 78 degrees... because I like the book and don't have tarot for yourself. I was looking for it, and stumbled upon tarot for self discovery by Nina Lee Braden. Someone here at Aeclectic recommended this one (where else would I get my information ;)) so I bought it, seems to be very useful (haven't done that much with it yet).