Angels of Major Arcana & Courts?

JackofWands

I know the Minor Arcana are linked to the 72 angels of the Shemhamphorash, but are there angels assigned to the other cards in Tarot, as well? You could probably do some finagling and contrive correspondences based on the astrological attributes of the cards, but I was wondering if there was an existing tradition that systematically assigned the names of specific angels to the rest of the Tarot deck.

Frater Benedict

Papus used to connect the 22 Hebrew letters and their corresponding trumps (according to the French correspondence system, not the English) with divine attributes or names, rather than angelic names. I write in haste, and give the Hebrew words as Papus preferred to transcribe them into roman letters (therefore the very 19th century French spelling).

Magician Eheieh
Popess Bachour
Empress Gadol
Emperor Dagoul
Pope Hadom
Lovers Vezio
Chariot Zakai
Justice Chesed
Hermit Tehor
Wheel Iah
Strength Kabir
Traitor Lumined
Death Meborake
Temperance Nora
Devil Sameck
House of God Hazaz
Star Phodé
Moon Tsedek
Sun Kodesch
Angel Rodeh
Fool Schadaï
World Thechinah

Papus also give a few amgelic correspondences allegedly corresponding to the divine names or attributes, but the system look very entangled.

Tzadkiel

Hi Jack,

in the Golden Dawn tradition (Mathers, Crowley, Fortune, Regardie etc.) there are different (Arch-) Angels ascribed to the Trumps, according to their astrological attributions:

0 (The Fool) = Raphael (Air)
I (The Magus/Magician) = Raphael (Mercury)
II (The High Priestess) = Gabriel (Moon)
III (The Empress) = Anael (Venus)
IV (The Emperor) = Malkhidael (Aries)
V (The Hierophant) = Asmodel (Taurus)
VI (The Lovers) = Ambriel (Gemini)
VII (The Chariot) = Muriel (Cancer)
VIII (Adjustment/Justice) = Zuriel (Libra)
IX (The Hermit) = Hamaliel (Virgo)
X (Wheel of Fortune) = Sachiel (Jupiter)
XI (Lust/Strength) = Verkhiel (Leo)
XII (The Hanged Man) = Gabriel (Water)
XIII (Death) = Barkhiel (Scorpio)
XIV (Art/Temperance) = Adnakhiel or Advachiel (Sagittarius)
XV (The Devil) = Hanael (Capricorn) --- [Note: not "Haniel", the Archangel of Netzach, or "Anael", the Archangel of Venus.]
XVI (The Tower) = Zamael or Samael (Mars)
XVII (The Star) = Kambriel or Cambriel (Aquarius)
XVIII (The Moon) = Amnitziel (Pisces)
XIX (The Sun) = Michael (Sun)
XX (The Aeon/Judgement) = Michael (Fire)
XXI (Universe/World) = Cassiel (Saturn)

If they are not lined up in Crowley's "Liber 777", they are definitely explained in the Cicero's "Tarot Talismans". The "Hermetic Tarot" by Dawson and the "Magickal Tarot" by Clark use them as well.

Aside from this traditional/astrological attributions, I guess it would be okay to use a pair of Archangels for each Trump, according to their pathway on the Tree of Life. That would make the Fool correspond with Metatron (Kether) and Raziel (Chokmah), the Empress with Raziel (Chokmah) and Zaphkiel (Binah) etc.

Hope that helps :)

Tanga

Hi Jack,

in the Golden Dawn tradition (Mathers, Crowley, Fortune, Regardie etc.) there are different (Arch-) Angels ascribed to the Trumps, according to their astrological attributions...

Oh COOL! Thankyou.
And I have a couple of Angel dictionaries...

Happy time...
:)