Putting the book down

FaeryGodmother

SpiritOfTheDogz said:
I think some people just see more in to a picture than others do, there are numerous decks I could say I would never read without a book as the pictures don't "speak" to me...
Can I offer some advice about this? When it comes to reading intuivtely (especially so with oracles) be more willing to be wrong. That was the hardest lesson for me to learn but it was worth it. By that i mean don't worry if it doesn't feel like you are reading 'intuitivly'. Make it up as you go along. To this day I feel like a fraud sometimes, because I feel like, what on earth am i doing??? How on earth can I jump to that conclusion from that little prompt? But experience here has taught me to go with it. No, I'm not 100% right but it often does make sense to the person I'm doing the reading for.

To put it simply, the biggest hurdle I had to overcome when it came to reading intuitivly was my own ego- my own desire to be 'right'. When I got over that (by doing lots and lots of readings) my readings got better. And I got more confident. It wasn't just about cards 'speaking' to me- it was about me listening.

SpiritOfTheDogz

FaeryGodmother said:
Can I offer some advice about this? When it comes to reading intuivtely (especially so with oracles) be more willing to be wrong. That was the hardest lesson for me to learn but it was worth it. By that i mean don't worry if it doesn't feel like you are reading 'intuitivly'. Make it up as you go along. To this day I feel like a fraud sometimes, because I feel like, what on earth am i doing??? How on earth can I jump to that conclusion from that little prompt? But experience here has taught me to go with it. No, I'm not 100% right but it often does make sense to the person I'm doing the reading for.

To put it simply, the biggest hurdle I had to overcome when it came to reading intuitivly was my own ego- my own desire to be 'right'. When I got over that (by doing lots and lots of readings) my readings got better. And I got more confident. It wasn't just about cards 'speaking' to me- it was about me listening.

I'm not worried about being wrong, just worried about what others will think if I am...I've been told I'm know good too many times in my life and feel that if I were to open up to being wrong then I open up to being know good again...I know it has to be done but doing it is another story.

Paul

Gavriela

Then find a deck you like and play with it. It's still 'jeu de cartes' in French - a game - even when it's tarot or oracles.

Throw cards and make a story out of them - most oracles are great for that - and it doesn't matter how ridiculous or gothic or comedic you get - it's a wonderful way to learn the cards, it's fun, and there's no pressure to it, and no right or wrong.

I really encourage people to do that with Lenormand, and they often find they've worked out what the cards can mean along the way - quite painlessly.

So instead of reading for someone - tell them a story. I do it all the time, even for myself. And you know what? It works.

FaeryGodmother

SpiritOfTheDogz said:
I'm not worried about being wrong, just worried about what others will think if I am...I've been told I'm know good too many times in my life and feel that if I were to open up to being wrong then I open up to being know good again...I know it has to be done but doing it is another story.

Paul
I'm sorry, but you are worried about being wrong if your worried about what other people think. Thats your ego talking. Swallow your ego and be prepared to make an idiot of yourself. The worst that can happen is that someone will say, 'well, i have no idea what your talking about'.

Having said that I get where you are at with it. I'm sure most of us have been there too- at least I know have. And it is a huge leap of faith to let go of the need to be right. But as someone one standing on the other side of the chasm, I can only encourage you and wish you the best of luck with it. :)

There will always be times when you read well and other times when it feels like you can't get a single thing right, but the more you trust, the more willing you are to accept that you may be wrong, the easier it is to get amazing insights that astound even yourself.

silverr

SpiritOfTheDogz said:
I do like the Psycards but for my style there isn't enough of them.
I felt the same way, so I bought a second deck and shuffle them together. It went from a great deck to an awesomely great deck. :D

SpiritOfTheDogz

silverr said:
I felt the same way, so I bought a second deck and shuffle them together. It went from a great deck to an awesomely great deck. :D

I'd thought about doing that but didn't know how well it would work.

Paul

Logiatrix

silverr said:
Way nifty!:thumbsup:

I enjoy doing that - combining or doubling decks, especially oracle decks. I've done it with several.

SpiritOfTheDogz said:
I'd thought about doing that but didn't know how well it would work.
One way I read a double deck is to interpret two of the same card as the major arcana (archetypal journey) meaning of the card, and likewise interpret singlularly revealed cards as minor arcana (day-to-day journey) meanings.

My favorite deck for reading that way was the Healing with the Angels Oracle. Might hafta bring that one out to play again...
:)

silverr

Logiatrix said:
One way I read a double deck is to interpret two of the same card as the major arcana (archetypal journey) meaning of the card, and likewise interpret singlularly revealed cards as minor arcana (day-to-day journey) meanings.
That's a very cool idea. I've just let the questions (and layout positions) determine the reach of the card, but I'll give this idea a try when applicable.

And I wanted to add that the other nice thing about doubling Psycards is that the deck is pretty inexpensive, so it's easy on the wallet. ;)

SpiritOfTheDogz said:
To add to what's already been said, Paul, there are two bottom lines to that issue. You're already choosing one, but you can always change your choice:

1 - When you choose to not know or accept that you're good/talented/worth enough, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks: you'll always doubt yourself. When someone scoffs at you, you'll accept it as proof that you're no good, and when someone praises you, you'll accept it with surprise and rationalize that they really don't know you well enough to see how incapable you are.

2 - When you choose to know and accept your innate goodness/skill/worth, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks: you'll always support yourself. When someone scoffs at you, you'll accept it as proof that they're not a very good judge, and when someone praises you, you'll accept it in good graces because you already know how good you are.

Either way, it really doesn't matter one whit what anyone else thinks. Invest yourself where you feel drawn to, and explore what's drawn you there. If trying something new makes you look silly or foolish for awhile, well, welcome to the club that all beginners join as soon as they start something new. We've ALL been in that club, even many, many times over.

Don't be afraid to be a beginner and make the inevitable mistakes. It's why they call that important card "The Fool." :party:

Logiatrix

silverr said:
Don't be afraid to be a beginner and make the inevitable mistakes. It's why they call that important card "The Fool." :party:
Very well said, silverr, I love it!:thumbsup:
:love:
May I appropriate this quote for my signature, pretty please?:D

silverr

Ha! be my guest. :laugh: