Death and Tower as outcomes in otherwise positive readings

katep

I have recently done 2 Celtic Cross readings on the topic of relocating with very positive cards until the final outcome card, which was Death in the first and Tower in the second. I am somewhat stumped by the appearance of a 'negative' card after so many positives. I can see Death as just being the ending of my old life / new beginnings but surely Tower is bad? I see this as meaning hopes being dashed, sudden and apparently disastrous change even if in the end it gives way to good.

I wondered if the position meant I would get my wish to relocate but it would not be the right decision. So I did a spread asking if relocating was the right thing to do. No major arcana cards came up, it was a fairly low key spread with 6 swords as outcome which I interpret as a sad journey to a better place.

So this means I will relocate, it won't all be plain sailing but in the end it will be the right decision? Thoughts?

rwcarter

Death is an ending that leads to a new beginning.

The Tower could mean the sudden realization that you don't like where you relocate to and/or you have to relocate again.

The 6S could then reflect the second relocation after the Tower realization.

Which is better? Realizing that the place you've relocated to isn't the right place for you and relocating a second time or realizing that the place you've relocated to isn't right for you and being forced to stay there?

Rodney

HeatherRose

As you mentioned seeing positive cards in the bulk of your reading, I see these both speaking of change for you. Some psychological, some actual physical location. lso with Death it can speak of the elimination of old patterns, so if you are relocating, you may not be driving down the same streets, visiting the same places, interacting with the same people, or acting the same way, your "routine" will be changed. And at first, with the tower, this may seem a little hard for you. Letting go of the old, no matter how exciting, or even if it's your choice, can always be a little scary for everyone, and it takes awhile to adjust. You may find your previous foundation a bit shaken up, or maybe you will be a little uncertain as you move through the transition into your new location, however, I see the tower telling you to flow with the river of life to make it easier, roll with the punches, and don't let any breakdown prevent you from a breakthrough. You will get there after some chaos or upheaval you may experience along the way.
I see the 6 of swords as a moving forward to calmer waters....endings to troubles, travel away from difficult situations. Solutions to problems or pain, obstacles overcome. So again, I feel that yes, during the transition there will be some turbulence and breaking down of some prior walls (tower), to then be able to build completely new.

LeFou

So this means I will relocate, ... but in the end it will be the right decision?

Hmm, personally, I'm not sure Tarot is often as definitive as that (but perhaps it is, at times).

Death = Saturn. On a mundane level, are you shedding a lot of possessions (or metaphorical baggage) in order to move? In that case, it seems auspicious. It can also be "the natural end of something," so what is ending that prompts your move? What are you "burying" or "grieving"?

Tower - is there a chance that your planned living arrangement may be problematic? It could also refer to the house you're leaving, of course (in which case it might hint "just in the nick of time"). Tower often refers to jobs, or whatever situation we're depending on. But what crumbles was "false" anyway, at least many would say.

Six of Swords - So what's your motivation for this big move? Are you escaping, grieving, seeking sanctuary in some way?

Thirteen

Only you know if this is a right decision

It's one of those misconceptions that "Death" and the "Tower" are "bad" cards. Simply put, we mortals don't like two things:

(1) we don't like to see things we are familiar and comfortable with end. Think of horders and how hard it is for them to even give up junk. Now, if what you're giving up isn't junk, then it's even harder. We don't like things to go-away-forever. So, we associate "Death" with "bad." But is that "bad"? like "You're going to prison" bad? Of course not! You move and the outcome is very predictable here. It's going to feel final, and you're going to mourn some of what you had to leave behind, and you're going to have to find new stuff to replace it. That's it. Not a party and "hooray! living the dream!" but not "I've descended into hell" either.

(2) we don't like to be surprised. Most of us even hate surprise parties, and though we think it all romantic, a lot of women go into shock when a man surprises them with that engagement ring (I, personally, went completely numb and silent for nearly ten minutes, much to the consternation of my soon-to-be-husband). Surprise goes back to primal feelings of falling down. We *HATE* that feeling.

But does the Tower mean "you're going to fall down, surprise!" every time? Nope. It simply means "surprise revelation." So. Not pleasant delight and cheer. But it isn't always because of something terrible. Death + Tower. Exactly what did you expect if you're going to uproot your life? Even if the place is paradise, you're going to be in for some mourning for what they lack or you miss, and you're going to be in for some surprises, and you're going to feel like the ground isn't solid under your feet. Isn't that pretty typical? 6/Swords says, that you will see the shore on the other side of all this, and feel an "ah-ha" of things coming together. But none of these cards say "you're going to be miserable forever." They only say, "there will be sad time and surprises." Can you deal with that? Is there enough good stuff on the other side to make this crossing worthwhile to you?

You're lucky. Most people relocate and the loss and surprise overwhelms them. But you know what's coming now. That's what the cards are for, to warn you of a rainy day so you can bring an umbrella. But you are the one who decides if it's the right decision to venture out into the rain, if what you're going to is worth dealing with that or not. Is this relocation worth "Death and the Tower"? If this is something you really want, or need, then it will be worth it. And therefore the "right decision."

katep

Thank you everyone for some very sensible replies.

Rwcarter: I see your point regarding good v bad but if I was answering your question simplistically I would say I would rather miss out the move to the wrong place? I am interested as to why you see two moves in the cards - are they not more likely phases of the same move or shift?

Heatherrose: you put it much more eloquently than me, thank you.

LeFou: um, it's complicated! Lol. I have had a tumultuous few years with more than a few Tower moments. Domestic abuse, Separation, financial difficulties, family problems and a house fire that left me and my kids homeless. Now living in a flat owned by family but wanting to cut the apron strings and move back to a place I was very happy in several years ago and where the cost of living is cheaper and I hope to build a better and secure home for my children and me. Lots of job interviews but no job to move for as yet. Could do without any more Tower moments!

Thirteen - that makes sense. I think the problem is I don't trust my judgement right now.

rwcarter

Rwcarter: I see your point regarding good v bad but if I was answering your question simplistically I would say I would rather miss out the move to the wrong place? I am interested as to why you see two moves in the cards - are they not more likely phases of the same move or shift?
Sometimes you have to get what you think you want only to realize it isn't really what you wanted. Then you can get what you need.

The only reason I saw a second move was because of the 6S outcome of the 3rd reading. If it had just been a change of perspective, I would've expected a different card to appear.

Rodney

wildcatsensation

Death is ending of cycles but I never saw it as a bad card. Usually it points to changes I am already aware of.
The Tower was my least favourite card for a while, and this shows how my relationship was with sudden change. ;) I tried to wrap my head around it though, and after it came up in a few readings, I found that to me personally it means collapse of beliefs I had that are no longer true. This is usually very uncomfortable because I don't want to realise they are to be left behind, and then comes the Tower to help. :) I never had anything catastrophic happening in connection with the Tower, though, not even necessarily in the outer world. Only re-shaping, shaking up my inner world and thought patterns. Hope this makes sense.