Sweet Twilight - 6 of pentacles

Flaxen

I find the imagery in this card quite intriguing. For me, it does fit the RWS meanings in many ways. The shower of money is done almost without thinking - she is not looking at the recipients of her generosity. One side of her body seems dead to me, while the other is alive. I wonder if this symbolises that by sharing our gifts we become truly alive. When we hold on to them, part of our spirit is deadened.

The circus in interesting, it leads me to think that she is a performer. Is there an element of showing off about her generosity? Is it a bit 'Look at me, aren't I clever!'?

How do you interpret this card?

Hemera

Flaxen said:
I wonder if this symbolises that by sharing our gifts we become truly alive. When we hold on to them, part of our spirit is deadened.
I really love this interpretation!

I always think she is wearing a mask over the other half of her face. The masked side is the performer and the actress, the side she is wearing in show business. That side is probably the more greedy one and therefore more dead as well? The other half is her true self which is human and warm and generous.

I have never noticed the way she is showering the money about as almost opposed to the traditional RWS image. Interesting!

Attachments

• Six of Pentacles.jpg
    Six of Pentacles.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 210

Aerin

I think too that she may be showing off rather, enjoying being the one to "save" people and thinking by doing this she's OK, really.

I wondered if there might be a "you need to look after and love yourself" message in there, she may be splashing the cash but there are other ways to give and withold your gifts. Maybe she'd be better nurturing herself and then working with others by acknowledging them and their needs.

There's an element here that reminds me of the way some celebrities cash in on charity giving, others do a lot but don't make a song and dance about it.

Flaxen

Aerin said:
I wondered if there might be a "you need to look after and love yourself" message in there, she may be splashing the cash but there are other ways to give and withold your gifts. Maybe she'd be better nurturing herself and then working with others by acknowledging them and their needs.

There's an element here that reminds me of the way some celebrities cash in on charity giving, others do a lot but don't make a song and dance about it.

I like that take on the card - it puts a different spin on it. Perhaps it can represent someone whose only solution to a problem is to throw money at it. Rather like a parent who buys their child endless expensive gifts but is not there to provide emotional support.

Aerin

Oh yes, I like the parent/ child analogy. I used to teach sooooooo many children who had parents like that, and the sad thing was the parent often knew but felt they had to use money instead of time as it was all they had.