Gay Tarot - Youth of Swords

telcontar

As Elentir alluded to the Youth of Swords, I think that's a good choice for our next card:

Elentir said:

Are computers a common theme in the suit of swords, or is it just this one and that other one I mentioned (I forget which card it is)?

You can see a scan of the card here:

http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/images/gayswordsyouth.gif

I somehow like this card, too, though the presence of such a modern thing as computers in a deck might startle some. I think they are a good modern substitute for swords: they can be used for having fun, like in some show-fights or competitions, for solving problems like the famous Gordian knot (versus getting information from the web) and of course for more questionable tasks like killing people vs. playing games where you do just that virtually.

I like to think of the Youth as doing some kind of research, curious as he is, maybe drifting from one topic to the next, losing himself in the boundless www . Maybe discussing Tarot with someone, at Aeclectic, who knows? But he looks more like a young guy in his school uniform, doing research for some kind of homework.

Anyway, I think it is a viable modern interpretation of the Page of Swords. But I count on you for some disagreement that will lead to a lively discussion :)

Elentir

Well, I'm afraid I don't disagree with you, so if I'm to make the discussion lively, it will have to be because of my additional insights, unless someone else would like to post something controversial. :)

A computer seems perfect for swords to me, because I associate swords with mental/intellectual activity. And since, as Telcontar says, it looks as though perhaps he's doing research, that fits in very well with what I associate with the Page of Swords and the characteristic of curiosity. Similarly, perhaps the young man is hacking his way into some classified database-- which would be equally fitting for the Page of Swords, since it is often associated with spying.

On the other hand, I do think an important part of the symbolism of the suit of Swords is the fact that they are weapons; in which case I think the computer is more of a stretch, although I like the idea of a computer being used to commit "virtual" violence through video gaming as falling within the same scope.

Lee

Elentir said:
Similarly, perhaps the young man is hacking his way into some classified database-- which would be equally fitting for the Page of Swords, since it is often associated with spying.
Interestingly, I included the word "hacking" in the LWB for this card. Perhaps it's a little far afield from the standard RWS picture, but it seems to me hacking would be a good example of intellectual energy applied enthustiastically but without the more focused (Man/Knight) or mature (Sage/King) outlook of the other Sword court cards.

-- Lee

Zephyros

Perhaps I'm way off track here, but it looks like a card of inhibitions. The man is sitting at his computer, working, the room is dark, and he's dressed in a "stodgy" suit.
it looks like he is avoiding his full potential by hiding in his job so as not to confront his issues. In this case, the swords/computers association is kept, since when the mind is too analytical, the feelings are stopped from being let out.

Lee

I think closrapexa has a good point. Every card has its negative side, and I think the negative side of the Youth of Swords would be what closrapexa mentions, being too much into himself, too analytical, spending too much time on the computer or in his head, instead of getting outside with nature and other people.

-- Lee