Tarot of Ceremonial Magic by DuQuette

Grizabella

I think the new rules indicate that if we start a thread, we need to respond to all who take part in the discussion, so here goes:

I bought this deck and book just last week :D (See other thread)
However I'm not that impressed by the big accompanying book because 1) it doesn't really discuss the artwork 2) it assumes a lot of knowledge I don't have, so I've also been using the big Israel Regardie 800page Golden Dawn book.

I've managed to avoid reading any more Crowley, and I've been using GD Magical and Temple Tarots of late- much more vibrant, beautiful artwork especially in the pips :)

I don't mind the art work on the cards. Motherpeace is almost as obtuse
in my mind. It took me a long time to get over the art on that deck so I could stand to use it.

I have this book, and found that half of the book is also about Ceremonial Magic i.e. Enochian and Goetia Rituals.

I cannot see how the Tarot deck has anything to do with these rituals unless it is used as flash cards for sigils studying, because it has all the sigils drawings on the cards.

So without the deck the book is only doing half of its job, although it still is a good book for Thoth based decks reference.

I may have to decide either get the deck and use it with the book for retuals studies, or sell the book, if I do not go into Enochian and Goetia Rituals.

I did buy the book for mine, so if we start a study group, I'm all set. I don't know if I should try to "host" a study group because I don't know much about the material but I could start the thread if nobody else wants to. I have many irons in the fire right now---working on beadwork orders and doing paid readings from my postings online and also getting ready to travel to a few places I've never seen in the next few months. And now that I've found my Native American roots on my mother's side, I'm going to start Seneca regalia for myself, two grandkids and Gabriel.

Exactly. I was hoping for more unusual magical type things to physically DO with cards, not just use them as flash cards and do Enochian calls. They seem to be more of a learning device. Although they do read well.

It's going to be interesting learning about Ceremonial Magic. I haven't read with the deck yet so it's good to hear that it reads well.

You may have seen this but DuQuette's book on the Crowley deck is -IMO- an excellent introduction (with depth) to the Crowley/Thoth deck. I realize that this thread is about DuQuette's deck and don't mean to hijack.

I've got the Chicken Cabala and the book for this deck, so I'll look for this book, too. Maybe it will ease me into Thoth doing all this stuff.

Unexpectedly, I ended up getting this deck recently purely by chance from a local friend, and am very much impressed with it.

The images and feel of the deck looks totally different from my previous imagination on the deck. The monochrome photos of each cards in the book, doesn't do the justice for the deck in reality.

The colouring of each cards gives and very pleasant feel with fresh energy. Moreover, they are loaded with rich astrological, goetia and enochian symbols, which is great for readings and learning about the tarot with the correspondences.

It is also in good size for shuffling, and the stock is nice not too thick or thin just right with excellent print quality. If anyone is using this deck, would be nice to exchange information about it , and I would ask if a study group could be set up.

I agree about the size and I don't really find the art work to be that bad. It's just that all the other images on each card were Greek to me.

As others have noted, the book focuses quite about on magic and ritual, not surprising for a deck called "Tarot of Ceremonial Magick." It has a long list of correspondences for each card but doesn't really explain any of the symbolism. It does have a few gems though that probably make it worth having.

I'm sure I'll understand what's meant by your observation as we go through it in a study group.

Understanding A.C. Thoth T was the most useful and helpful book I've ever read about the Thoth tarot. I get that this thread is about another book of DuQuette I'm just mentioning that this one is a real good book and maybe it would be helpful to start reading DuQuette's work with this one.

I'm going to get this book when I can. Thank you for mentioning it. :)

While some may read well with this deck there is no doubt about its main purpose, to be used in ritual. However, getting past all that it is basically the Thoth with ugly pictures.

Thats Duquette ... also see the Emperor - and the feminine cards for Mrs Duquette

and the terrible Trump 13

Will do. lol

In trying to use other decks that attempt to draw from the same Golden Dawn well as the Thoth, I find that all they succeed in doing is pointing out - often painfully - how wide a gulf exists between them and the Crowley/Harris masterpiece. DuQuette, the Ciceros and Robert Wang could all have benefitted greatly from such an inspired collaboration. Anthony Clark and Tony Willis (The Magickal Tarot) fare slightly better, but not much. I can't comment on the Golden Dawn Temple Tarot, but I may someday find out. About the only one I get any satisfaction out of is Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal, but that's basically just a reimagined Thoth. None of them are essential beyond their original ritualistic intent; such artistic mediocrity should simply be kept for private use.

Good to find you here, Barleywine. Are you going to help us out with a study group if we start one?

Yes it is rare that such a perfect union of form and function come together. In the Thoth the esoteric and exoteric and united and are brought forth beautifully. In fact, that may be by design, the exotericism of Nuit and the esotericism of Hadit forming the impression on the user, Ra-Hoor-Kuit.

But there is ultimately a certain charm about the DuQuette deck. He is a funny, affable man and his little doodles are cute. Not enough for me to buy, but it doesn't seem like a deck that takes itself too seriously. DuQuette saw a need, ritual flash cards, and he filled it. It is charming how unambitious it is, and how straightforward.

I love funny---especially droll humor. I'm glad to hear I can find some humor in this deck, too.

I'll be watching with interest if one is set up. :)

I am tempted though at the moment I already have a backlog of things to read and I'm struggling with reading about Enochian magic It is very mathsy for me... all those letters and combinations and sub angles etc.

Oh no! Math is one of my "dumb spots". :bugeyed: But I'll give it a good old try.

In the past, I never thought I would get this deck, because the art is too simple, and having more symbols on each cards might clutter the readings rather than helping. So, I used to think this deck is only good for flash cards studying the correspondences.

But when I saw the cards in flesh and held them in my hands, there were instant and powerful positive connection between the cards and me.

I liked the colouring, images and all the symbols on the cards. I also liked the back of the cards, which is designed with the Enochian Alpabets and tables. I could see tremendous efforts and time must have gone into designing the deck.

And perhaps this instant connecting feeling of me and the deck was due to the fact that I have several books by Lon, and read them all in the past, and there is some kinda spiritual connection between me and him, I don't know. :D

But the simplicity of this deck's art was not regarded as drawbacks at all anymore. Sometimes simplicity in the card images could be help in focusing the actual readings with more concentration on the symbols and colours. Many times in life, the less is more, and it is the case in here.

I made an offer for the deck, and thankfully my friend, who was the previous and first owner of the deck, accepted the offer, and the deck became mine. I had the accompanying book for the deck by Lon already, so empty space was filled, I felt, and it was a kinda fate that the deck was meant to come to me.

The deck reads very well, and I like the refreshingly bright water colourings on most cards, and even the negative cards like The Death, Devil, Tower, ... they are not dark and scary, but funny, positive and even cute.

It is an easy feel deck for daily use, and readings for anyone and occasion. Especially The Death card is depicting a skeleton cutting grass with a hand push mower, which is kinda funny. And more funnily enough, the hand push mower in the card looks exactly same as my own lawn mower, which made me shout, "omg that's my bloody lawn mower."

Anyhow, this deck would not replace the Thoth deck, or any other deck, as they are all unique, and has different feels, uses and purposes in their own ways. I agree that the art of this deck is no where in the same plane as Thoth deck, but it is not too bad either. I have seen worse in the Tarot arts.

In a way, it gives very friendly feel when looking into each card, and soft water colouring makes the deck look green and organic.

I did some readings with the deck, and it read very well, and it would be great for further studying Tarot with the traditional correspondences i.e. Astrology, Qabala, Enochian Angels and Goetia, and even I Ching.

Crowley talks about I Ching or Yi King in Book of Thoth despite briefly and sprodically, and this deck has the I Ching symbols on all the Court cards, which is interesting and unique. The only other tarot deck I have seen with I Ching symbols was the Handl deck, which didn't quite connect with me, hence departed from my collection very quickly.

This deck would be very good for people who find, like me in the beginning, while it is beyond doubt that Thoth deck is highly artistic having been drawn by a highly talented artist LFH, some of Thoth deck cards image too dark and depressing, like The Death, The Hanged Man, The Moon and Tower, even the 7 of Disks and some Swords cards. I got used to them now, but it took me almost 10 years to feel ok with them.

This deck will enable those readers get friendly very fast with Thoth system, Thelema and all its correspondences both in readings and studies.

Awesome! You've given me a lot of enthusiasm for the deck. I'm excited to learn more. :)

Thank you all again so much for responding to my thread about this deck. I'm very grateful to see all the information and opinions here.

foolMoon

Tarot of Ceremonial Magick

I did buy the book for mine, so if we start a study group, I'm all set. I don't know if I should try to "host" a study group because I don't know much about the material but I could start the thread if nobody else wants to. I have many irons in the fire right now---working on beadwork orders and doing paid readings from my postings online and also getting ready to travel to a few places I've never seen in the next few months. And now that I've found my Native American roots on my mother's side, I'm going to start Seneca regalia for myself, two grandkids and Gabriel.

It's going to be interesting learning about Ceremonial Magic. I haven't read with the deck yet so it's good to hear that it reads well.

I'm sure I'll understand what's meant by your observation as we go through it in a study group.

Awesome! You've given me a lot of enthusiasm for the deck. I'm excited to learn more. :)

Thank you all again so much for responding to my thread about this deck. I'm very grateful to see all the information and opinions here.

Thank you for the wonderful thread. A study group for this deck would be very meaningful from following points from my opinion.

1. As already mentioned in the thread, currently available book for deck is reference only without discussion on the art and its symbolism.

2. Although it is Thothy and the GD type deck, there are some unique features to this deck such as a few cards having different names and book meanings from the other tradition, which calls for discussion.

3. Sigils on the major trumps, I ching symbols on the court cards, and Enochian angelic names on the minor cards ... these features would be good source for enriching the interpretations of each cards. What are the relevance between these symbols and each cards in the readings from different angles? If interested in these aspects of the deck, can discuss and understand. I am. Also from the Ceremonial ritual aspects of the deck would be interesting to discuss.

4. Some parts of the deck is the GD, some Thothy and Thelemic, and some are unique to LMD. Which is which? Etc, etc.

I am sure there will be plenty more, which will be forwarded by the study group members through time.

I would be grateful, and look forward to studying the deck with you and with all the interested readers and students, when you host the study group :)

Zephyros

Moderator Note:

I think the new rules indicate that if we start a thread, we need to respond to all who take part in the discussion, so here goes:

Actually that's not true in free discussions like this. The readings forums have this rule, for example in UTC the thread starter must answer all suggestions in threads relating to a reading, but not when asking general questions about cards. When interpreting readings the same rules apply across the forum (feedback, etc.) but in discussions there's no imperative to answer everyone.

As for the discussion group, I wholly support it and will try to contribute from time to time, although I don't have the deck. Since this is a Thoth-type deck its natural place is here rather than in Study Groups but the same rules apply, which boil down to:

1. Try to make each thread title uniform, for example "Tarot of Ceremonial Magic Study Group: The Star" or something like that. This makes it easier to index.

2. Anyone can open new threads in the group, not just the host, but try to send me a PM when you do so that I will add the thread to the index which I will create once the group has amassed a few threads and is in full swing.

3. Keep administrative talk to one thread dedicated for it, for example discussions about what to study, when, who, etc., and the study threads to, well,study. For the time being you can continue to discuss the group in this thread and when everyone has seen this message I'll move all related posts to a separate administration thread.

Michael Sternbach

I greatly welcome this study group. I have the book since quite some time, and I recently got the deck as well. It's artistically simple, but it's amazing how much background information it summarizes in an easy format. A nice addition to any card collection, but especially to one that focuses on the GD/Thelemic take on the Tarot.

foolMoon

I greatly welcome this study group. I have the book since quite some time, and I recently got the deck as well. It's artistically simple, but it's amazing how much background information it summarizes in an easy format. A nice addition to any card collection, but especially to one that focuses on the GD/Thelemic take on the Tarot.

So what's your thoughts on The Fool card of the TOCM? Especially comparing it with Thoth deck?

Zephyros

Moderator Note:

Please make a new thread for each card, as I have outlined but two posts above. Thanks.