Sun and Moon Tarot - Serious occultism for the younger reader

Aeon418

Yes, it does seem like it's more "Thoth scented" rather than having any actual connection. There have been threads here before about what actually constitutes a Thoth deck.For me it is, at the very least, the Star/Emperor interchange and as you mentioned, Art and the Aeon being... well, I'm not sure Thelemic would be the correct definition, but certainly not traditional.

I think Crowley gives a good definition in The Book of Thoth (p.24-25):
Aleister Crowley said:
From the foregoing it will be clear that the Tarot illustrates, first of all, the Tree of Life in its universal aspect, and secondly, the particular comment illustrating that phase of the Tree of Life which is of peculiar interest to those persons charged with the guardianship of the human race at the particular moment of the production of any given authorized pack. It is therefore proper for those guardians to modify the aspect of the pack when it seems to them good to do so.

Many so-called 'Thoth decks' are perfectly adequate representations of the Tree of Life in its universal aspect, but they tend to fall down when it comes to the 'particular comment' that expresses the perspective of the New Aeon.

Herodotus

I view this deck as its own entity that draws from many influences, one the more predominant of which is the Thoth. Not a Thoth derivative, though.

I can't speak to the Hebrew letter associations, because I am no Kabbalist (or Crowley-ist), but the defining characteristic of the Thoth to me is the underlying concept of the New Aeon (which goes beyond just the imagery of the Aeon card). Whether or not the Sun and Moon counts in this regard is debatable, but as far as the Aeon/Judgement card is concerned, the imagery is certainly more closely related to more traditional systems than Crowley's.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily aimed at young readers, either. The artistic style is misleading - it's more "mature" than it appears at first glance.

With all that being said, I think these cards are beautiful, and I really like this deck.

I agree with whoever it was who said this deck falls firmly between the Thoth and the Rider. That is precisely how I view it within the context of my own collection.