The Bible and Tarot

Alex Monin

The article in the Hub for Tarot and Oracle Self-Publishers and Collectors on http://www.tarotpublisher.com/?p=54 is an extraordinary story about the Tree of Knowledge in the Garden of Eden, the place where the Fool started his quest for knowledge. What is the deep meaning of the Hermes Trismegistus’s phrase ‘as above so below’: ancient astronomical knowledge was coded in the Bible, the precession, and old gods, etc. Highly recommended for those tarotists who believe that Tarot is not ‘for entertainment only,' but for discovering the Path. Amazing!

Abrac

I can't get past the fact that this author calls it the "Tree of knowledge" when the Bible clearly says "Tree of the knowledge of good and evil." The former implies Adam and Eve were punished for seeking knowledge; but it wasn't knowledge per se, but the knowledge of good and evil. Many so-called Bible authorities do this and it drives me nuts.

Nemia

The article looks like an introduction. I waited for something more substantial and it didn't come. Quoting bits from the Bible doesn't prove a link. The Hebrew Bible is much older than the rest of cultural topoi the article wants to connect it to.

Zephyros

I can't get past the fact that this author calls it the "Tree of knowledge" when the Bible clearly says "Tree of the knowledge of good and evil." The former implies Adam and Eve were punished for seeking knowledge; but it wasn't knowledge per se, but the knowledge of good and evil. Many so-called Bible authorities do this and it drives me nuts.

Yes, the difference is very important since the biblical story makes it clear that some of the "punishments" weren't punishments at all but natural consequences of eating of the Tree.

Abrac

Can you elaborate? Which consequences are you talking about and what verses "make it clear" they were natural consequences and not punishments?

Edward Tarot Hands

I think The Tarot can be connected to any other explanation of existence if you try hard enough because they all use the same ideas of a journey from a fallen state to a reunification with the divine and contain similar archetypes

What is the deep meaning of the Hermes Trismegistus’s phrase ‘as above so below’:
I always thought this referred to the idea of explaining how things are on higher plains by using how things happen on our plain of existence as an analogy. a chapter in The Kyballion explains this perfectly

Ron521

Since the Tarot was conceived, born and matured in Christian Europe, is there any surprise at all that it contains lots of imagery drawn from Hebrew and early Christian mythology?

roxana

Tarot and the Bible are really connected and both are based on astrology.
Behind is a firm mathematical formula described in many places in the Bible, hidden in plain sight but not seen by uninitiated.
For example, The Sola Busca Tarot, the oldest tarot deck with Minors illustrated, created in Venice in the XV century, long before RWT.
This deck has its secret formula. Below a few examples how it is hidden in design.
5 of wands – three wands are put on the man’s back (secret number = 3)
9 of wands – two wands pierce the woman’s heart and have no exit ends (secret number = 2)
8 of amphorae/cups – six amphorae are thrown down, only two on top (secret number = 2)
4 of disks/coins – you can see how the woman’s breasts match the design of disks (secret number = 6)
10 of wands – eight wands are put in the urn, while two are fixed below (secret number = 8)
6 of amphorae/cups – amphorae are designed to form one vessel (secret number = Ace/1)
and so on.