Tao Ooracle By Ma Deva Padma

214red

Hey

i got this lovely deck from a friends recently, she knew i would love the art work because i fell in love with the osho deck.

The instructions seem really complex, that could just be me not understanding them.

just wondered if anyone had this deck, and who they use it, do they follow all the instructions or just part of them, or none

thanks

Nik

squeakmo9

Hi 214Red!
I also have and love this deck as well as the Osho.
To config the hexagram, I use three pennies.
Heads on my coin are worth 3, and tails are worth 2.
Toss all three coins for a total of 6 throws(6 lines).
After each throw add them up.
With each throw, you will draw either a solid or broken line...starting from the bottom, going up.
Odd numbers are solid lines, while even numbers are broken lines.
The 9's (solid line)and 6's(broken line) are known as changing lines.
If ever you get them, they change to the opposite type of line(broken to solid and vice-versa), creating a 2nd or "changing" hexagram, which you could read about as well.
So I never mix/shuffle my deck up, I just create the hexagram and then find the card. It's nice to have such beautiful pics to represent a hexagram...I find it helpful, and insightful.
Hope that makes sense:)enjoy your deck Nik!

214red

thats a great help, will practice at the weekend...thank you for taking the time to write!

will let you know how i get one

Nik

214red

decided to create some crystal runes to help me use the cards, i will use your method but get someone to pick 2 runes for their question and then find the card

Ravenswing

my method

214red--

I figure that if there's a deck of cards, that's all you use for divination. I've developed a method that's based on the I Ching, but uses only the cards.

Pick two cards. Let's say you pull out:

46. Pushing Upward

58. The Joyous

Look at the hexagrams from the bottom up, see what lines change.

In this example:
The first line goes from broken to solid; it has changed.
The second line goes from solid to solid; it hasn't changed
The third line goes from solid to broken; it has changed
The fourth line goes from broken to solid; it has changed
The fifth line goes from broken to solid; it has changed
The sixth line goes from broken to broken; it hasn't changed.

So the first, third, fourth and fifth lines change when you move from Pushing Upward to The Joyous.

Now, read the meaning for Pushing Upward. That's where you are.

After that, read the meanings for moving lines. In this case you read the meanings for the first, third and fifth lines. That's how you're moving.

Now, read the meaning for The Joyous. That's where you are going.

Reading the Tao Oracle is like doing this three card spread:

1st card: Where am I?
2nd card: Where am I going?
3rd card: How will I get there?

The 1st card is the same as the 1st hexagram. The 2nd card is the same as the 2nd hexagram. the 3rd card is the same as the moving lines.

I hope this helps. If you've got any questions, drop me a line.

raven

AJ

In spite of my abhorrence for Osho himself and his padma henchwomen :)
I love this oracle. I just disassociate the cards from the source.
I've been using it for two months as a daily meditation card here on my desk, love the art.

I have about 10 decks listed as oracles that do not seem oracular to me, so thoughtful meditation is what I use those for.

lightbug

I love this deck too. (And I'm no big fan of Bhagwaan Rajneesh either).

It has lovely illustrations and is a really lovely interpretation of the traditional I-Ching.

The use, 214red, is pretty easy too :)

You can use it as a standard card-oracle and select cards (As in previous post) or do almost any kind of spread but you can also access the "Changing Lines" and read evolved meanings from the book by doing this simple (once you get the hang of it) routine as outlined in the book:

-(or use the traditional method for constructing a hexagram)

The method in the book is to use three coins (or I-Ching coins)

1) Decide which side is YANG (heads) and YIN (tails)

2) copy the hexagram from the card onto a sheet of paper

3) then, starting with the bottom line -- throw your three coins once for each line -- to make a NEW hexagram that you draw to the right of the first on the paper.

4) if you see THREE YANG (heads) coins on a throw you get a straight, unbroken line
like so: ______ if the corresponding line in your original hexagram is also ______ YANG you will make a little *star and draw the opposite BROKEN YIN line in your NEW hexagram so _____ changes to * __ __

5) if you get THREE YIN (tails) coins on a throw you get a broken line like so:
__ __ if the corresponding line in your original hexagram is also __ __ YIN - you will make a little *star and draw the opposite SOLID Yang line in your NEW hexagram so __ __ changes to * _____

6) if you get TWO of one kind and one of another -- it doesn't count and the line from your original hexagram stays the same.

7) Look up the lines with the * stars (the ones you changed) in the book on the page your Card appears. ( it says "THE CHANGES then line one, line two, etc. etc. ) and read the expanded meaning.

8) you can ALSO look up your NEW hexagram and use the grid on the back of the book to find which one it is.

:)

Hope that helps?

Parzival

Tao Oracle

I have the original and the reprint. (Back design changed.) I like the art /symbolism/wisdom of this oracle. The book is well written. It's a good deck for single card readings and for writing poems based on images. I like just deliberately choosing a card and musing on it. It's also good to have a complete I Ching and refer to the hexagrams chosen in the classic text as well as see Ma Deva Padma's magical images.

214red

thanks u all, will go away and try these methods to help me as i love the cards!

will be getting the crystals too to use

will check back and give you all feedback

cardlady22

My set is on the way!