Sabian Symbols

MCsea

Indigo Rose said:
Marina,
Would it be appropriate to look at house rulers for corresponding Sabian Symbols, and compare/contrast those to the symbols for specific planetary placements?

~:heart:~

Yes I do this - though I suppose intuitively. I also look at those cusp sabian symbols its a good locator in my eyes... An example is when a person is going through a saturn return or say a pluto square the cusp sabian symbol (I think) offers lots more information my cousin was having her saturn return and was having a terrible divorse, anyway she visited and the day she visited there were 6 children playing in my home (inside in winter) anyway her sybmol for the 6th house where her saturn was sitting was children playing on a rug - she turned up to my house (by chance?) within 4 hours of the saturn 'hit'...

Marina

MCsea

Just a quickie here

if you go to the FREE sites

http://sabiansymbols.astrologyweekly.com/

http://www.crystalastrology.com/

they tell you the right sabian symbol without having to worry about rounding up - rounding up is for people transposing their own astrology chart..

Also
references I cant live without in no particular order of preference

Jones, Dr. Marc Edmund. The Sabian Symbols in Astrology: A Symbol Explained for Each Degree of the Zodiac, Santa Fe, Aurora Press, 1993.
THe original and very detailed.. lots of example charts

Hill, Lynda. 360 Degrees of Wisdom: Charting Your Destiny with the Sabian Oracle, U.S.A., Plume Books, 2004.
My personal favourite - a whole page per symbol easy to read and VERY VERY life changing

Birkbeck, Lyn. The Astrological Oracle: Divining Your Future and Resolving Your Past, Great Britain, Thorsons, 2002.
A Brilliant book that rounds out the top three listed so far and if you are lucky on amazon at times its only $5

Bovee, Blain. Sabian Symbols & Astrological Analysis: The Original Symbols Fully Revealed, U.S.A., Llewellyn Publications, 2004.
Still reading this - really good for life path stuff I think

AND the book I just wrote which will be available in July 07 (which has colour pics in it of crystals that resonate with each sabian symbol)

Marina Costelloe: Crystal Astrology 360 Crystals and Sabian Symbols for Personal Health, Astrology and Numerology. (Earthdancer) Findhorn Press 2007.
but thats enough from me

MARINA

dadsnook2000

For the record -- figuring degree positions

This post simply addresses the problem that some have in determining their "degree" for a Sabian symbol. Lets look at degrees in terms of degrees, minutes and seconds -- or DD-MM-SS.

Any degree of any sign consists of 01-00-00. We might also say 00-60-00 if that made it clearer. A degree is a whole degree or you can say it is made up of 60 minutes.

The FIRST degree of any sign starts at 00-00-00 and goes forward for 60 minutes. Now if we count a position at 0 degrees, 0 minutes, 0 seconds as being in a sign, that position is in the first second of that minute and degree. Once we hit 00-00-01, we start working on the second second of arc. This logic applies also to the first degree.

The FIRST degree starts at 00-00-00 and ends at 00-59-59. The SECOND degree starts at 01-00-00 and ends at 01-59-59. This logic follows thru for any number. Dave

Sophie

Marina - I don't understand what you mean by degree positions (and therefore symbols) for a house.

If I am looking at this from my own chart: Transitting Uranus conjunct Sun at Pisces 12°6' in the 11th House. That happened between the 15th and 16th January 2007, as I was in the air to South Africa, setting in motion a new life for myself.

(although I knew I had that conjunction, I hadn't realised until just now that it was exact on that date!)

The Sabian Symbols for Pisces 13:
A sword, used in many battles, in a museum.

Which indicates that I am leaving behind many old battles.

But what of the house? What is a "sabian symbol for a house"??? Or do I look at the cusp of the 11th House? (is that the position where the 10th becomes the 11th?) In this case it is at Pisces 2° (I can't see the minutes). The Sabian symbol to that one is Pisces 3 - A pertrified forest, an eternal record of a life lived long ago. That means nothing to me in relation to what was happening.

My Sun and Moon square each other to the degree, and at that time, transitting Jupiter was conjuncting my Moon just a degree away (Moon at Sag 12°14 and transitting Jupiter at Sag 11°10) in the 7th House - would that have played any kind of role? Which Sabian Symbol should I look at for that conjunction - Sagittarius 12 or 13? Do I look at the House cusp at Sag 3°15' ?

How do you work Sabian Symbols into aspects?

Rather confused here.

Thanks for the book recommendations, btw. I have Lynda Hill's, which is wonderful. Looking into the others.

MCsea

Fudugazi said:
If I am looking at this from my own chart: Transitting Uranus conjunct Sun at Pisces 12°6' in the 11th House. That happened between the 15th and 16th January 2007, as I was in the air to South Africa, setting in motion a new life for myself.

(although I knew I had that conjunction, I hadn't realised until just now that it was exact on that date!)

The Sabian Symbols for Pisces 13:
A sword, used in many battles, in a museum.

Which indicates that I am leaving behind many old battles.

But what of the house? What is a "sabian symbol for a house"??? Or do I look at the cusp of the 11th House? (is that the position where the 10th becomes the 11th?) In this case it is at Pisces 2° (I can't see the minutes). The Sabian symbol to that one is Pisces 3 - A pertrified forest, an eternal record of a life lived long ago. That means nothing to me in relation to what was happening.

Well the museum and the petrified forest echo similar images to me 'preserved in time', the key word for pisces 3 is Survival - echos again the battle and you leaving those times behind YOU survived.. also the past life inference - of a life lived long ago - you completed that survived that energy exchange (if you hold past lives in your belief system) just a couple of ideas they still may not resonate with you at this time..

Fudugazi said:
My Sun and Moon square each other to the degree, and at that time, transitting Jupiter was conjuncting my Moon just a degree away (Moon at Sag 12°14 and transitting Jupiter at Sag 11°10) in the 7th House - would that have played any kind of role? Which Sabian Symbol should I look at for that conjunction - Sagittarius 12 or 13? Do I look at the House cusp at Sag 3°15' ?
I would write down those 3 sabian symbols for the sun the moon and transiting jupiter, I would then
Adjustment and Rectification are key words for Sag 12 and 13

(A flag that turns into an eagle that crows and A widow's past brought to light ) not sure which is the sun symbol... anyway..
then I look to the tension of the square so Id look to create a 'story' with the symbols Sun Symbol (power) tension Moon symbol (emotin) will highlight the trouble and maybe indicate the lesson to be moved through, the jupiter (luck)near the moon moves the energy to focus on this sag 12-13 like hey there is a chance - opportunity for growth and luck here if I can 'see' my way to - Ill say adjust and rectify the past... I would look at the cusp of hte 7th house to see IF any further details can be seen - a location /timing/ movement..

I am simplifying this some what, I tend to take a very long time to work through a sabian symbol reading in this way - I suppose I try and use traditional astrological methods but interpret sabian symbols instead of planets.. I hope the meaning is sort of peeping through and I hope it helps..

Marina

Sophie

That's very helpful, thanks Marina. I'll have a look at that chart again, and try and make sense of it with the Symbols (astrologically, I think I have - at least the main themes). BTW, when you say you look at the house rulers' symbols, do you mean all the symbols for that house ruler, to see if anything resonates with symbols corresponding to the planet placements and cusp? So in the case of the 11th House - I'd look at all 30 Aquarius symbols, and see those that have a similar theme? Or is there another method (I'm referring to your conversation with Indigo Rose, above).

BTW, for other learners here - I'm finding it useful to look at my natal chart with transits a little while (or even years!) back, because I can trace how events and inner growth occurred during that time and have evolved since then. It's giving me a good learning tool. Since that day (15-16 Jan 07) was a crucial one for me, it's interesting to see how that was reflected astrologically, and to see how things have evolved since.

MCsea

Oh I am glad some of my rambling made sense ;)

Fudugazi said:
That's very helpful, thanks Marina. I'll have a look at that chart again, and try and make sense of it with the Symbols (astrologically, I think I have - at least the main themes). BTW, when you say you look at the house rulers' symbols...... So in the case of the 11th House

Ok here it is a definition of sorts taken from http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/houserulerships.htm
When the planetary ruler of the sign on a house resides in another house then there is a special link between the affairs of both of those houses. The ruler of a house is found by looking at the sign on a house cusp.

SO this rather than a specific sabian symbol refers to the influence

example taken from the above site - If Gemini is on the 2nd house cusp then Mercury is the house ruler for the 2nd house in that particular chart. If Mercury is posited in the 4th house, then we can make a statement as follows. The ruler of the 2nd house is in the 4th house. Then a likely interpretation can be made. A connection between the houses and the sabian symbols

Sooo you can pair up the house with certain attributes and then read your sabian symbol in with that - http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/index_list.html has a list of key terms too which I link to key words and sabian symbols..

blessings

MARINA

Sophie

Thanks for the links and the explanation, Marina :)

Interesting that the 11th House (in which so many of my natal planets reside that it is practically "my" house!) has keywords like "comfort and relief, confidence, hope, trust, freedom, release" all strong ideals of mine.

I'll do as you suggest with the symbols.

MCsea

11th house Bona Fortuna The House of Friends! :party:

I hope things lighten up for you and that the sabian symbols shed hope and understanding :)

MARINA

Indigo Rose

MCsea said:
example taken from the above site - If Gemini is on the 2nd house cusp then Mercury is the house ruler for the 2nd house in that particular chart. If Mercury is posited in the 4th house, then we can make a statement as follows. The ruler of the 2nd house is in the 4th house. Then a likely interpretation can be made. A connection between the houses and the sabian symbols

Thank you for the links and instruction, and Dadsnook for the help in figuring out the degrees.

I am studying all this now. It seems complex, but is starting to make more sense as I dig through it.

It' seems a worthy study. Your story about your sister's visit is amazing, Marina. Thanks for sharing.

~Blessings~

:heart: indigo rose