Nigel Jackson oracle...

6 Haunted Days

Does anyone own the Celtic Oracle by Nigel Jackson? It was published in 1992, here is a link to some pictures...http://www.wicce.com/celtoraclepix.html

And a link to a description.....http://www.wicce.com/celtoracle.html

I just happened across them and fell in love with the scans, but they're not listed here on Aeclectic or much else really, I am assuming they're OOP. I just love Jackson's artwork and style...

room

6 Haunted Days said:
I just happened across them and fell in love with the scans, but they're not listed here on Aeclectic or much else really, I am assuming they're OOP.

I like it when people devise and depict slughtly different systems.

I have his Witches Runes which have beautiful artwork, and when I saw he had an odd deck related to Ogham I wanted it too, but it's not around to buy any more unfortunately.

We are too late to the party 6HD.

felicityk

I have this oracle, and if you have any specific questions I can try to answer them. I love all three of Jackson's decks.

I can't tell if the item listed at Amazon has cards with it, or is just the book. It indicates the book that came with the Aquarian Press book and deck set (which is what I have) is "truncated". My book appears to have 122 pages while the one on Amazon is listed as having 206.

Felicity

6 Haunted Days

room said:
I like it when people devise and depict slughtly different systems.

I have his Witches Runes which have beautiful artwork, and when I saw he had an odd deck related to Ogham I wanted it too, but it's not around to buy any more unfortunately.

We are too late to the party 6HD.

Not true Room! I put out a search for one in the trading section and Flugour led me to one on Ebay going for 10.00 :surprise:. I just paid for it on Friday. They're out there, just have to keep looking. I know on Amazon there is one listed in the used and new for 35.00 still shrinkwrapped....but I had wanted something cheaper.

RaeBelle said:
I found this on Amazon - The New Celtic Oracle. It sounds like a more complete version than the 1992 printing.

Yes Raebelle it looks to me like a fuller more definitive book built on the original one that came with the set. Though with all my research and asking questions of sellers, it appears it is just a companion book and there are no cards that come with it. I may or may not want to get it later. I do already have several books on the Ogham/Celtic Tree Mysteries.

felicityk said:
I have this oracle, and if you have any specific questions I can try to answer them. I love all three of Jackson's decks.

I can't tell if the item listed at Amazon has cards with it, or is just the book. It indicates the book that came with the Aquarian Press book and deck set (which is what I have) is "truncated". My book appears to have 122 pages while the one on Amazon is listed as having 206.

Felicity

I just love his artwork as well! I wish he would do more :) At some point I would like his Tarot deck and the Rune cards. Though I am hesitant about them as I detest Silver Ravenwolf for numerous reasons, why he hooked up with her is beyond me.
So are all the cards as delightful as the scans I saw?

Thanks for your help everybody!
:spade::TDEAT:spade:

room

6 Haunted Days said:
I just love his artwork as well! I wish he would do more :) At some point I would like his Tarot deck and the Rune cards. Though I am hesitant about them as I detest Silver Ravenwolf for numerous reasons, why he hooked up with her is beyond me.

I like those Witches Rune cards. I bought the book--what a lot of gobbledygook--Silver Ravenwolf must be a specific taste. I bought it to understand the artwork better, but you could just get the cards and enjoy them.

I don't know why he hooked up with her either--probably needed the money and took the job. He is an illustrator after all.

[p.s I way overextended myself spending $21 US to buy the Irish Fairy Cards, so not able to purchase anything.]

6 Haunted Days

room said:
I like those Witches Rune cards. I bought the book--what a lot of gobbledygook--Silver Ravenwolf must be a specific taste. I bought it to understand the artwork better, but you could just get the cards and enjoy them.

I don't know why he hooked up with her either--probably needed the money and took the job. He is an illustrator after all.

[p.s I way overextended myself spending $21 US to buy the Irish Fairy Cards, so not able to purchase anything.]

:laugh: When I read what you wrote about Ravenwolf's writing I had to laugh! She's a hack, just out to make money IMO. Did you get the cards yet? I know you were searching for awhile! I know what it's like to be broke. You see so many on here getting many tarot decks in one week, all the time, and I wonder how they afford it! *sigh* I wish.....

felicityk

6 Haunted Days said:
I like all the cards; I don't think there's a dud among them.

His Tarot deck is one of my all-time favorites. On the Runes: I don't have an opinion of Silver Ravenwolf one way or the other, but you could always just ignore the book.

Felicity

6 Haunted Days

I just for the set yesterday (can we talk about fast?! I just paid for them on Ebay on Friday!) and am completely in love. The artwork, symbolism, myth and messages are just captivating. And every card is gorgeous, not one bad one. If you're really involved in anything celtic spiritual wise (I am a traditional witch/british ilse etc) or are into the faery practices of the under/otherworld you will LOVE this deck, I highly reccommend it. And the book is small, but the author Nigel Pennick writes beautifully and pretty deeply considering the size of the book. So much so I am considering getting the book he released years later as a more in-depth study of the cards. He gives an overview of the image, the symbols and their meaning within the system. Very well done.

The Weaving Sisters, The Lapwing, The Wild Hunt(wow the imagery!),Queen of the West and the Island of Apples are my favourites, though it was hard to choose! I love how he chose to include the 4 sacred treasures of the 4 otherworldy cities in the card set. My other celtic oracle doesn't have them, but in my Ogham book they are part of the whole tree letter set, so now I have cards to go with the descriptions and reading.

And the backs. Sheer beauty. They are second only to Waking the Wild Spirit in beauty IMO. In too many decks the back is overlooked and either boring, jarring to the senses of just ugly. So glad I found this deck even though it's OOP, they should release it again!

room

6 Haunted Days said:
Did you get the cards yet? I know you were searching for awhile!

No, I bought from an amazon.com seller (thanks AJ and Fulgour) but it will probably take 2 weeks to get here, maybe more. I was hoping to trade--put up two items for this, but no one wanted to trade. I just didn't want to let the cards go so bought them--I really wanted them for the I Ching aspect.

I can't really complain about being broke as I spent huge amounts of money on books and decks when I had a job. I have a wonderful and varied card collection which brings me a lot of joy.

Congratulations on getting these Ogham cards! I hope one day to come across them myself--your comments on the artwork are encouraging.

I've always liked images and stories about the Wild Hunt. Baba's Fairytale Tarot has a card depicting it, and I read a young adult fantasy book for a reading group (Tamsin by Peter S. Beagle), and the Wild Hunt figured in that. The Legend Arthurian deck has a Wild Hunt card too. And let's see--The Sacred Circle (which I don't have), and there may be more but I can't think of them.