So I'm really confused about this "Lunar Eclipse" thing...

Gemini Rising

What exactly IS a Lunar Eclipse, and why is it so significant? I have NO idea what it is, but all I know is this weekend my life and pretty much everybody else's has gone totally out of control. Can anybody clear this up? Thanks!

~Nicky

dadsnook2000

Pretty simple to explain

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Moon is on one side of the Earth with the Sun on the other side of the Earth such that the sunlight that normally illuminates a full moon is blocked by the Earth. This happens relatively frequently, always has, always will.

Now, why do you think that the "out of control nature of yourself and your friends" relates to the lunar eclipse -- given that you know nothing about them or even what they are? What actions, emotions, problems did you observe? Do you think that any of their charts had sensitive points in them that were connected to the lunar eclipse point? Do you and/or your friends have similar issues during a normal full moon period when no eclipse occurs? Were any of you born near a new moon, a full moon, or an eclipse event? Have you posted your chart in the section at the top of this Astrology forum so that any who are interested can take a look at your chart?

We had clouds here in New England so I didn't get to observe the eclipse. There are sometimes some interesting variations -- one eclipse a few years ago had a reddish glow to the Moon while it was in shadow. This was due to the small amount of light that passed thru the Earth's atmosphere and gave it just enough light to be faintly seen. Dave

AJ

Our weatherman said last night that there is a total lunar eclipse every month but because most of the earth is covered in water, in most cases it won't be seen or noted by anyone. It makes the news when it happens where people live who will be able to see it clearly.

paradoxx

Every month? No, the moon will have to be in the line of the shadow of the earth for the eclipse to happen (the shadow being the eclipse), this requires the declination to be lined with the equator for a full eclipse with only partial eclipse shadowing the further north or south you go.

the charts at www.astro.com have an emphiries link, that gives the declination and www.lunarliving.com has many many links regarding the lunar aspect to astrology.

But all the erratic behaviour could be more from teh moon being full than from the alignment with the planet (although the two go hand in hand) and with mercury going stationary the emphasis is on 25Aquarius.

Gemini Rising

Thanks Dave, that was a pretty good explanation. I noticed the full moon was pretty dim tonight, barely noticeable in the clear night sky.

As for charts, I have absolutely no idea how it's affecting mine or my friends (I only have one or two of my friend's charts anyway) since I don't know how to read them or transits. And no, I don't have my chart up, the image host keeps going on and off.

All I know is since I read about this full moon eclipse thing two days ago, up until this point, almost every life I know about is chaotic--even some of the more stable ones! I like having something to blame, so the stars are always good, lol!

(And I only know one person who was born under a full moon and they never seem to affect me or my friends.)

Papageno

that's interesting because this particular moon has been a great clarifier for me.

franniee

dadsnook2000

I was on long island and when it first began we couldn't see it because it was partly cloudy but within 20 minutes we could and the moon was orange and eery and oh so beautiful! I don't remember ever seeing it like that and I have been a fan of eclipses for as long as I can remember - I would set my clocks to all hours of the night just to catch it But as the sky got dark it really popped! Ever so cool!!!!

dadsnook2000

For franniee

Thank you for your note. I also like to watch the eclipses. I had a daughter born an hour or two before a solar eclipse. I watched a solar eclipse at the National Seashore Museum on Cape Cod quite a few years ago. They had set up a screen with a small hole in it through which the sun could shine. The small hole permitted the cone of light to cast a much large disk onto a white paper. As the eclipse took place the projection of light/dark areas was clearly shown. I guess that is one of the easiest approaches for most of us to watch solar eclipses. Dave

franniee

dadsnook2000

One of my earliest memory of a solar eclipse was when I was 9 or 10 or so and my Dad gave me very dark overexposed film to view it thru - it was awesome! But even with that we only looked for a quick moment and then looked aaway - yours was a much better way by far!

BTW what does that mean in her chart if she is born that close to an eclipse?

How Apropos with you being an astrologer and all!!!! :)

dadsnook2000

Being born just before an eclipse

Symbolically, the Sun is going dark. Together, the Sun and Moon represent the core of our living experience -- or will and emotions, our intent versus our habits, our vitality versus our ups-and-downs, our energy versus our need for support, our strength relative to our primary needs, etc.

With the Sun going dark, she didn't seem to have any energy in life. Her emotions were not balanced and she became increasingly emotionally unstable as she grew up and became an adult. She didn't walk untill she was 22 months old, never liked to exert herself, never reacted to the loss of anything (how could you punish a child by taking something away when it didn't matter to her?). Astrologically, I diagnosed her as needing cell salts, particularly lithium, and years later a doctor did put her on that -- she just didn't follow thru and take them, so she remained unstable until she went her own way in life. I have no idea where she is these days. Dave