Marseilles La Roue de Fortune

Diana

Fulgour said:
Uneasy sits the crown...?

And when Oedipus answers the question, the Sphinx gets hurled from her place of honour. Disappears into the waters below who swallow her up.

Silly old Greek Sphinx. I never liked her. She's nasty. The Egyptian one is much nicer.

tmgrl2

Diana said:
No, no, no. (And no.) It is not a dog at the top!!! It is a Sphinx. A Greek sphinx. How can one mistake her for anything else? She asks you the famous question, you know, the one that goes: What walks on four legs in the morning, on two legs at midday and on three legs in the evening?

Where do you come from? she asks.
Who are you now? she asks.
And where are you going? she asks again.

The monkey is our instinct.
The rabbit/dog is our rational side.

Sorry, Diana, for not reading past Klea's opening discussion of all three animals. She says in the summary passage "chien"/dog...then as she discusses each creature separately, she does refer to the top as The Sphinx who poses the questions not to be answered till Trump XXI.

That'll teach me to read just a piece of something. If you do a quick read through of this section, Diana, I would be curious as to your feedback. Pages. 677-681. I'm not sure you have this book. I know you have the other.

terri

Diana

tmgrl2 said:
Diana, I would be curious as to your feedback. Pages. 677-681. I'm not sure you have this book. I know you have the other.

I have the book. It is falling to pieces. Very bad binding.

I will read those pages tonight before going to sleep, and then when I dream I will PUSH the Sphinx off her pedestal and I will take her place.

I think we should answer her questions BEFORE reaching Arcanum XXI, or else we will just turn and turn and turn and turn until we get dizzy.

tmgrl2

firemaiden said:
Don't forget, of course, to read our study thread on this card: X- La Rove de Fortvne.

(See jmd's table of contents for all the previous study threads on the Marseille majors.)

Thanks for the link, firemaiden.

The varied representations of the figure on top depending on the deck, add to my confusion.

I read through that link. Will have to reread. I do like the notion of the top figure representing the "missing link" between the other two...the one that integrates and elevates and evolves.

terri

tmgrl2

Diana said:
I have the book. It is falling to pieces. Very bad binding.

I will read those pages tonight before going to sleep, and then when I dream I will PUSH the Sphinx off her pedestal and I will take her place.

I think we should answer her questions BEFORE reaching Arcanum XXI, or else we will just turn and turn and turn and turn until we get dizzy.

LOL...I agree about answering the questions BEFORE. However, Klea lists SO MANY questions posed by the Sphinx, it will take the next 11 Majors to get there.

Seriously, I would love your comments on her section. This part of the Wheel Trump (the creatures) still has me "sphinxed."

(My pages are already falling out. The book is HUGE.

terri

punchinella

You know, it just hit me that a (superficial, at least) correspondence exists between the principle seemingly set forth in this card, & the basic principle of I Ching . . . that is, everything always in a state of flux, nothing permanent &, moreover, an extreme of one thing (e.g. power & influence) bound by natural law to, at some point, switch over to the alternate extreme. I've never been comfortable with this card, but I am with I Ching, & so thinking about the card this way helps . . .

Diana, this is your energy conservation idea again isn't it. :)

tmgrl2

punchinella said:
You know, it just hit me that a (superficial, at least) correspondence exists between the principle seemingly set forth in this card, & the basic principle of I Ching . . . that is, everything always in a state of flux, nothing permanent &, moreover, an extreme of one thing (e.g. power & influence) bound by natural law to, at some point, switch over to the alternate extreme. I've never been comfortable with this card, but I am with I Ching, & so thinking about the card this way helps . . .

Diana, this is your energy conservation idea again isn't it. :)

I like this, Punchinella. That is why I like the idea of remembering when all goes well and we feel "on top" that the Wheel turns.

That and the ideas of extremes.

terri