Study of the Marseilles pips: The Two's

skytwig

Thanks, Mimers, my printer is not working. Diana, I was so hoping that would be done, but, being a newbie, I thought I might be too pushy........

This is fun, though. thanks!

Mimers

Summeries complete!

Hi everyone!

Diana had asked that someone collect all the unanswered questions and summerize them. Well, after 'pm'ing each other we decided to go ahead and create a summery for each card and also just general statements by disecting everyone's controbutions, and put them each in their own thread. They are followed by questions that were posed throughout and never really answered.

I quoted everyone and kept it in cronological order so the flow of the conversation could be preserved. It is really worth going through and reading it. It is interesting to see how one person's ideas led to others!

Please feel free to add any questions that you feel were unanswered or comment on ones still open. Perhaps some of our fellow Aeclectic members more knowledged on the Marseilles symbology could delve into some of these more puzzling aspects of the cards!

Please forgive me if I left things out or misquoted. I did a lot of cutting and pasting and errors may have occured.

Enjoy!
Mimers

Diana

Mimers: You are doing a wonderful job! It must be taking up so much time. Many, many, many thanks.

Off to print out your summaries! :)

Khatruman

Big Big hugs for the Mimers!!! :D Thank you for sorting out our disjointed thoughts.. Bravo!

Mimers

Mimers takes a bow :D

jlbvt

Woah, slow down!

Hi! I just wanted to let you guys know I am going to study this deck right along with you, and I plan to join in the discussion as soon as I get my deck. I ordered one today, then I noticed this thread! How convenient! I don't think the one I ordered is Grimaud, but are they really so different? I will probably have it in 3-4 weeks! :( I think it will be a lot easier to study them when I can hold the cards and walk around with them, kind of "observe" them and just let my imagination work.

I love all the ideas so far about the 2's. I guess the publisher knew something about Tarot, putting their tag on the 2 of pents!

I think the difference between the straight swords and the bent ones shows that things in the material world(our world) have to keep their given shape, while things on other etheral planes may distort their shapes at will.

skytwig

GRAND JOB, MIMERS!!!

Wow!! thank you so much for all that work!!

Interesting to note that we didn't touch on the 2 of Pents that much, and that is a card with a lot of movement to it. Are we intimidated by its statement? It appears so symbolically LOUD with infinity and motion. Yes, jmd, as above, so below.

Your summary helped me to see things I hadn't noticed in my first readings. I think it was Diana who pointed out that the Cups 2 was the only one with an 'animal' on it. That has to be significant. Blood? Motion? Fishies swimming...... through the waters of life?

Oh, we can't help waxing poetic now and then.....

thanks again Mimers... Where do we go now, Khat?

Mimers

OK everyone, I am posting this here also so that everyone who has this thread marked will know I have opened a thread for the 3's.

See you there,
Mimi

Little Baron

The 'Absolute Begginer' tip-toe's in ...

I have not read the other posts as yet, and since the 'two's are so vibrant, I wanted to have a go at interpreting them from my knowledge of 'absolutely nothing', lol.

The two strongest cards, for me are the 'coins' and the 'cups'.

In the cups, I see the red band at the bottom in the same way I think of hot, bubbling volcano lava; boiling away and ready to explode. When it does, it shoots upwards; like a broken waterpipe sending a long stream of water into the air. And in this picture, it does, flowering, so to speak, into the two fish at the top of the card. I see the order of the card in the symmetry and relate that to some kind of mutual energy. What is interesting to me as a first observation is the flower from the water as it shoots upwards - it is almost like the neck of a third cup, in colour and size. Secondly, the erruption between the two fish. It is like a mini explosion, possibly a new life gained from the 'two' fish. They seem to be tender to it and mutually nurture it. It reminds me of how some fish carry their young in their mouth - the male stickleback does that, I think. Is this card about a love? I am not sure at the moment; these explosions and new growths could be the product of a love, I suppse, and in that sense, it could suggest a message about keeping that love alive and constant. Making sure the lava is always hot and bubbling, the cups are constantly filled and the 'little erruption' is consistantly fed and cared for.

I see the two swords as being a bit of a prison. Where the fish were nurturing the cups card and keeping it alive, the swords contain the beautiful flower and keep it away from light and constrict it from movement. The little yellow (interlect?) bars in the centre of the swords are like little gateways. Maybe, if you use your mind, you can find a way out. Some of the buds on the outside of the swords have done so and are finding their way in new directions. The leaves in the middle are looking a little as if they are dying, tinged in a darker yellow that looks almost brown to me. They are suffocated within the swords tight grip and the original promise of the beautiful flower from which they are growing seems to have its days numbered, unless an alternative means of survival is found.

The first thing I think of when I see the wand card is the crossing of the two in the middle. Looking at the way the wands are, the first word that comes to mind is 'No!!!'. Almost as if someone is holding out their hand and blocking you. I think this also because of the colour of blue. Someone told me once that blue stood for communication. Even though the white stems of the centre flowers have buds on each end, I also see that the dramatic crossing of the wands could have broken what was originally one flower into two. This is not all negative though since both flowers have regrown little shoots to their tips - possibly suggesting a new project or venture that is in its early stages or that has mannifested from the original.

In the Pentacles/Coins, I see movement. The 's' shape seems to protect the coins and should it be moving round them constantly, will never let them fall into the white space of the card. It seems very protective to me through grounding and earthy qualities. As it moves, I can imagine the folage moving with it in the same rhythm and giving further births and substance to the two coins.

Well ... just my initial thoughts. Will go back now and see what others have said.

Best wishes

Yaboot