Tarot of the Zirkus Mägi

Freder

Hello friends;

I recently "completed" my Tarot of the Zircus Mägi -- the effort of 18 months or more. I have to use quotations around the word "completed" because even now I feel like some of the card images need revision. It's the nature of the animal, I suppose...

One thing -- I can absolutely attest that the way to best come to understand Tarot is to design your own deck! NO doubts about that. When I began this project I did not feel confident at all in my readings. A year and a half later, I'm still by no means an expert... but I'm no longer _intimidated_ by the cards. I feel like I can look them in the eye, if that makes any sense.

So my advice to anyone who may be thinking about creating their own deck is -- do it! Make it so. Building my deck has certainly been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life -- it hasn't just brought me understanding, it has made new friends for me and opened doors that did not exist before.

If you're curious, my deck is here: http://circustarot.blogspot.com . But the main thing is, I now understand why one of the requirements of advancing within the Golden Dawn was to build your own tarot deck. If you do it right, it is a rich and rewarding learning experience.

Thanks for reading --

DT

Update 9.7.14: I'm now taking pre-orders for the deck at the URL above. Thanks!

Gulliver

Wooow, excellent! May you tell how is the cardstock and how big are the cards? Have no words to express how much I like your ideas you've put in the cards and your art.

Alta

Very original and well executed. I am impressed.

You may post your Kickstarter link directly if you wish.

Babalon Jones

Hi DT,

Nice job, congrats on completion. 18 months, wow that is impressive timing :)
It looks like a lot of thought went into your image and keyword choices. I like that!

Good luck on your Kickstarter hope you make it

~MM

PS I just figured out that I can start an account on Kickstarter to back you without having Facebook - yay!

Thoughtful

OMG!!! What a wonderful and original tarot. I love it, love the victoriana feel about it. Will have to have this deck no question.

Freder

Thank you!

Wow, thank you all for the kind words! Gulliver, the cards are 3 x 5" printed on 16 pt card stock. The first time I got a proof they used something really thin, thinner than playing card stock, made the cards look like photographic prints and impossible to manipulate. We changed that FAST. The 16 pt stock almost goes to the other extreme, but they're sturdy, that's for sure! I think the full deck will be pretty substantial if it gets printed. I didn't do much shopping around for printers -- most local shops did not seem interested, and the people I'm using have a high local reputation, deservedly so because they do good work.

Again, thanks everyone for your interest and kindness!

DT

Chronata

I love this deck! It's really beautiful, and looks to be quite magical.

I am excited for you!

(and for me...because hopefully I can purchase one soon!)

magpie9

Kudos from an old circey! Excellent deck! I'll back it come July.

Freder

Thanks, everyone!

Freder

All Together Now

Although the formal reveal of the last card is still a day off, I created a long, tall graphic that shows the full deck, all laid out in order. The card images are on the small side but it is a way to see all the cards together at once -- the first time I have seen them that way myself!

I posted it as an update over at the Kickstarter project. Here is the link (Alta, is it OK for me to do this? Let me know if not and I will take the link down!)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1911920092/tarot-of-the-zirkus-magi-full-deck/posts