Best books or online courses too follow (paid/unpaid)

Meemai

Hello,

I know there is a beginner books section, however there is a lot of books for beginner but it does not give a list of 'here these books are good.' And offers a set of books that are good to use but also go more advanced. Like I could when I want to study philosophy say 'Start with plato discourses, later try aristoteles, and build up. Also there might be courses online that either are free or cost money I was thinking of buying one (by john ballantrae does someone know him?) but maybe books might be better.

My problem is however I can buy like 3-5 books out of the beginner section and be stuck with 3 times the same but a little different. I would like a book as stepping stone and build up, etc... Or books that complement each other well... I think you know what I mean.

Also I understood and I found out there are a lot of different tarot schools, personal, intuitive etc. I think I like intuitive but that one seems rather dangerous as you can say one wrong thing. And I find that when I try to use it on others like family they laugh a bit, or do not really...

Well I hope you understand what I am trying to say and ask and would be very helpful. I thank you for your time and help!

3ill.yazi

IMO dangerous is a strong word. You have to trust yourself.

But to your question, I think the problem is there is no set school, and opinions differ about what makes tarot "work." I think you can't go wrong with the authors commonly cited for beginning readers --Mary Greer, Rachel Pollack, Joan Bunning, etc. Bunning's book and free website are in the form of a course. And for intuitive IMO you should turn to Dusty White's books.

Also, personally, before you get hung up on what is "right" and "correct" in terms of how to go about, I strongly urge you read A Wicked Pack of Cards or Paul Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot. The history of how we got here is pretty wild and wooly, and hip-deep in flim-flam. Cognitive dissonance is your friend, IMO.

There are a number of people with classes online. Biddy Tarot is one I'm familiar with. I don't have the cash to go that route though, and stick to being an autodidact.

RunningWild

You'll see it mentioned in other threads on the same topic, but Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card is a great workbook, done at your own pace. There's a thread for it in the Tarot Decks section of the forum.

While certificates might impress potential future clients, they're really unnecessary, if that's what you're looking for in considering online courses.

I feel that this forum is one of the best places to learn, to be honest, even though I love, and possess, many tarot books myself.