Pros and Cons Thread #2 - Enabling and De-Enabling

Kissa

Mary El Tarot

I don't know what's gotten into me, this deck used to freak me out when I watched pictures online. Now I'm going through a period where anything Asian attracts me and there is definitely something Asian in some of the Mary El Tarot. It is beautiful. Weird and beautiful.

Does anyone read with it regularly or is it "too heavy"?

Any input is most welcome, as always :) Thank you in advance!

Kissa

Rose Lalonde

Mary-el

Does anyone read with it regularly or is it "too heavy"?

I've used the Mary-el as one of my regular reading decks for the past several years, but I've mostly used the early majors/aces deck, which feels lighter. The thin white borders make a huge difference, and it has different Magician and Hierophant cards. Compare the Hierophants (taken on my phone, sorry).

I don't know how helpful that is, but to answer your question, I do feel bogged down by the heavy feeling I get from the full deck, and I've only read with it when it suited a particular situation.

EDIT (10 months later): Having learned more about the Tree of Life, GD, and Thoth, I feel like I'm better able to get a feel for the 78 card deck, and am enjoying it much more than I did when I wrote this.

Kissa

Mary El

Oh Rose, thank you! Your point of view was much helpful. I was comparing the borders (white vs black) and wondered how it affects the whole thing. I was even unaware there were changes between the first version and the latter one. Of course, as you can guess, the new Hierophant is one of the cards that make me hesitate.
Thank you for the picture, it was much helpful!
Kissa

Rose Lalonde

Kissa -- Oh, good! Glad that was helpful.

ivanna

Revelations Tarot (Wong)

I need some opinions about this deck. I think it will like me a lot, but it costs 30 euros and I have to think about it before buying it.

velvetina

Mary-El

I've been 'using' the Mary-El deck for a couple of years now & love it. I'd recommend it to anyone prepared to allow it to speak its own particular, peculiar language....it can be challenging & infuriating at times.

However, I've experienced some remarkable insights with it and some bizarre synchronicities.

The first was as I walked home and an owl practically flew into my face! When I arrived home, the Mary-El was on the kitchen table, just delivered that day by the postman.

The most recent was drawing the 5 of Cups and then having conversation with someone (begun by someone else) about the healing properties of horses, riding them and just being around them...the horse in question wasn't white, but the conversation was extraordinarily similar to one of the meanings of the 5 of Cups.

Most times I pull a card & see what happens. Later, I'll compare my thoughts & experiences to what Marie white has written in the book, but as time goes on I find that I've my own ideas & they are as valid. At first, I was worried that the images were too idiosyncratic to be of relevance to me, but I was wrong! :)

My question to you Kissa is this: what do you mean by 'Asian'? its a big place!!!

If you mean 'un-European, kind of unfamiliar & strange' then, yes, I can see that!

To me, its beyond a particular cultural in many of the images. Its a kind of Faerie- Mesopotamian deck!

Sophia77

Fenestra Tarot

What are people's thoughts?

Debra

Fenestra Tarot

I thought the Fenestra is very stylish. However, I found the cards did not have enough content, and the people looked too melancholy.

magpie9

I agree with Debra on this. Pretty, but lacks both and content.