Is "Oracle Tarot" an oracle or tarot deck?

The Happy Squirrel

<grin> It's a Tarot. I think of it as the shopping Tarot, and I rarely-if-ever pull it out - not keen on shopping or shopping-trolleys.

As to the difference between tarots and oracles:

All horses are animals, but not all animals are horses.
All Tarots are oracles, but not all oracles are Tarots.

You don't have to find between-words for them - the strictest-structured and most traditional Tarot deck is still an oracle, just as a thoroughbred horse is still an animal.

That is a good analogy :) I did think about that fact, but it did not resolve my questions :D
It is a tarot deck without the court cards really :)

Will visit those threads mentioned above :)

The Happy Squirrel

Hmm well it tends to bring the reading to a self focus more than bringing other people into the equation.

Interesting. Interesting. Thanks for that ravynangel!

The Happy Squirrel

Sigh. Those threads did not help. But ravynangel's comment does help :)

Cenozoic

Cenozoic, this is what I was thinking as well! As you can see I am a little confused :D Again, not so much because I care for definitions, just wondering how I can use a tarot system sans the court cards exactly.....

I think that you can just use the cards as you normally would. :)

When I started learning tarot, the courts were kind of tricky. I understood all the other cards before I understood the courts, yet I still have trouble from time to time as to what they could mean. So I think that you can still conduct normal readings without the courts and it would be fine. But you could always get another deck with the courts if you want to learn with a full deck.

The Happy Squirrel

Sweet :) Indeed. Thanks for that :) I might also use it as a 'gathering theme' card together with a 'normal' 78 cards deck :)

The Happy Squirrel

. . .

2dogs

I think the lack of court cards makes it an Oracle, but together with the very definite keywords it could be very useful for people who are only used to reading Oracle decks to start to move towards Tarot. :cool2:

Orecan

In the publishing/printing industry, anything that does not corform to the stadard 78-card format is considered an Oracle deck. It doesn't matter if the deck contains just the court-cards, or a mixture of, if it ain't 78-cards, it's an Oracle.