programming key words

andybc

We all know what a heart means. I'm sure no one would disagree what it represents. Feelings, romance etc. And we probably would all agree on what a ring means... but then there's other cards like the fox, and the bear, etc... that are a bit more open to personal interpretation. I believe, based on my experiences of course, that how I interpret these cards (my personal definitions of them) is how the information is then relayed to me.

Going with the Bear, the traditional meaning was good fortune but, as per an Acorns card, that you would need to beware envy. Most of the differences in opinion on this card was just how explicity you took the good fortune - with some just taking it as money or being more loose and saying it's fortuitous circumstances thus giving you some firm standing. The envy has often been taken as bureaucrats by some or general envy by most.

So whilst traditional reading has some differences it's not the schism often implied. It tends to be lingustic and that is just the nature of the beast.

But the reader has to do what is right by them. I have always said, however, there is a difference between reading Petit Lenormand and just using Petit Lenormand cards.

Barleywine

From my perspective, a simple approach of traditional meanings, minimal rules (just enough to create order), and the element of intuition is the most effective way to read the cards.

Well said! We fully agree on something ;) But I would also take them in that order of importance, at least for my Lenormand reading. With tarot I find it a different ballgame.

intothemusic

Going with the Bear, the traditional meaning was good fortune but, as per an Acorns card, that you would need to beware envy. Most of the differences in opinion on this card was just how explicity you took the good fortune - with some just taking it as money or being more loose and saying it's fortuitous circumstances thus giving you some firm standing. The envy has often been taken as bureaucrats by some or general envy by most.

So whilst traditional reading has some differences it's not the schism often implied. It tends to be lingustic and that is just the nature of the beast.

But the reader has to do what is right by them. I have always said, however, there is a difference between reading Petit Lenormand and just using Petit Lenormand cards.

I understand your point. When I first began reading Lenormand cards I learned all the traditional meanings. But I don't feel Lenormand meanings are like words in a dictionary, where if one was to slightly edit the meaning, no one would understand their language. At some point on the journey, I do believe the language can become personal. Of course, I'm not saying one should completely change the meaning, not at all. I believe everyone should first learn the traditional meanings - and once that is accomplished then allow themselves some room to interpret. If the point is to understand the language of the cards in order to divine accurately, then personal interpretation I would think is quite necessary. For example, 90% of the readings I do are about love. When the bear appears in love readings (when I'm inquiring about feelings and such) it's usually referring to someone trying to maintain control or in some cases possessiveness and jealousy. And of course it it appears next to the heart, i usually see this as powerful emotions. If I'm asking about money topics, then yes, I will use the traditional meaning.

But I suppose I do agree that there is a difference between reading them and just using them. I guess I just use them, a lot! :)

Lee

Aren't we just hair-splitting over semantics? One person's "spiritual radio" is another person's "synchronicity with the cosmos."
I agree with this. Whether we're receiving messages from the cosmos or messages from our subconscious, how can we ever really know, and what ultimate difference does it make?

andybc

I agree with this. Whether we're receiving messages from the cosmos or messages from our subconscious, how can we ever really know, and what ultimate difference does it make?

Culture also plays a role. In my own there are traditions and beliefs around fortune telling (or divination, whatever you want to call it) such as Gee. But also the belief that the ‘divine’ is remote and unfathomable.

Fortunately, we now live in a time where we are allowed to practice our own culture and beliefs without having other's forced on us with such sweeping statements.

I understand your point. When I first began reading Lenormand cards I learned all the traditional meanings. But I don't feel Lenormand meanings are like words in a dictionary, where if one was to slightly edit the meaning, no one would understand their language. At some point on the journey, I do believe the language can become personal. Of course, I'm not saying one should completely change the meaning, not at all. I believe everyone should first learn the traditional meanings - and once that is accomplished then allow themselves some room to interpret. If the point is to understand the language of the cards in order to divine accurately, then personal interpretation I would think is quite necessary. For example, 90% of the readings I do are about love. When the bear appears in love readings (when I'm inquiring about feelings and such) it's usually referring to someone trying to maintain control or in some cases possessiveness and jealousy. And of course it it appears next to the heart, i usually see this as powerful emotions. If I'm asking about money topics, then yes, I will use the traditional meaning.

But I suppose I do agree that there is a difference between reading them and just using them. I guess I just use them, a lot! :)

I firmly agree with you. Whilst in my course I did use the noun, and adjective, analogy to explain how to build a combination, with the use of keywords, I never advocated that this method would be avowed as holy writ. I also never gave them a list of meanings or keywords, I left that to them lol.

On several occasions I’ve been surprised to see my students from two years ago still using this method religiously.

I thought, as the students progressed, they would begin to under the cards’ essence – such as Fish being affluent near or when far/with bad cards austere – which can transfer into contexts as diverse as love and weather. Like you, if I saw the Bear in a love reading, I’d see it as strong feelings and with an element of possessiveness, the latter becoming more pronounced, if the cards it was with were negative or the Clouds was present, too.

Teheuti

tend to believe the Lenormand is a pretty intuitive system and much more difficult to read accurately than other forms of divination.
Why would Lenormand be more difficult to reading intuitively than one of the Oracle decks that are designed to be read intuitively - say the original little Angel Cards or the SoulCards?

Mellaenn

Moderator Note

Hi, all, just a quick note to let you know that the posts that had previously been found here have now been moved to a thread of their own:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=220104

Posts about programming key words are still welcome here! :)