Rules of Lenormand

Barleywine

The Petit Lenormand have nothing to do with Mlle. Lenormand. They originated, as far as we now know, in Germany at the end of the 18th century and were 're-packaged' in 1845/6 following the death of Mlle. Lenormand, appropriating her name for promotional purposes (a very common practice at the time, especially among divinatory works). We have no idea who "Philippe" was, but he was probably an employee or acquaintance of the publishing company. The meanings are EXTREMELY close to the meanings given in an 1796 Austrian work (translated into English) on reading 32 coffee-grounds that included a set of cards printed with the coffee-ground images. The technique given for reading these cards is nearly the same.

So, even though she was an historical personage who practiced cartomancy in France in the first half of the 19th century and who left a body of written work (apparently unhelpful on the specifics of divination), there is no surviving evidence of her working methods? I wonder whether she had one of the German precursor decks or just used playing cards. With our penchant for revisionism and knowing what we know, I'm surprised we haven't given the whole system a different name.

andybc

The Petit Lenormand have nothing to do with Mlle. Lenormand. They originated, as far as we now know, in Germany at the end of the 18th century and were 're-packaged' in 1845/6 following the death of Mlle. Lenormand, appropriating her name for promotional purposes (a very common practice at the time, especially among divinatory works).

We can only say that she did not invent them and that evidence, as of 2014, indicates she never used the GoH. We know she sometimes, in the grand jeu, used several packs of cards which included a deck of cards with Alemannic suits. There are several examples of German suited cards that look an awful lot like the Dondorf, et cetera.

We have no idea who "Philippe" was, but he was probably an employee or acquaintance of the publishing company. The meanings are EXTREMELY close to the meanings given in an 1796 Austrian work (translated into English) on reading 32 coffee-grounds that included a set of cards printed with the coffee-ground images. The technique given for reading these cards is nearly the same. .

The meanings are close but not extremely close. Also, if the method you're referring to is the one outlined in that book, English Lenormand, then it's not nearly the same as the PL sheet. Whitman and Gypsy Witch, yes.

The coffee card theory is just a possibility and, with no primary or second sources to demonstrate that either Hetchel or the company saw them, cannot be proved. In addition, current research done by two independent historians, have found other sources that contain the same iconography. You'll love what they've found Mary. :)

andybc

So, even though she was an historical personage who practiced cartomancy in France in the first half of the 19th century and who left a body of written work (apparently unhelpful on the specifics of divination), there is no surviving evidence of her working methods? I wonder whether she had one of the German precursor decks os just used playing cards. With our penchant for revisionism and knowing what we know, I'm surprised we haven't given the whole system a different name.

She never wrote a manual on cartomancy that is true and was vociferous in the fact that she never taught anyone or took students.

But in two of extant works she does document two readings which give us a good idea on what she did. In one reading she uses the trumps of Tarot which was Marseille-type (not Grand Etteilla) and in the second she does a tableau (she calls it a game of piquet). She uses the staples of parlour tradition to read it – extremities (corners), pairing, counting, and appears to do it at twice, which would also be, in keeping.

We think this is what the clients sometimes called the petit jeu. Her meanings from what she says is a bad match for Etteilla but a 60 % match to a deck that Grandville designed, called Book of Destiny, based on the parlour tradition. Grandville is believed to have known Le Normand herself but I doubt he cribbed them from her, just possibly a similar source.

The grand jeu, which was more expensive, seems to have used several packs included a tarot, piquet, German cards and some necromantic and celestial cards.

Teheuti

The coffee card theory is just a possibility and, with no primary or second sources to demonstrate that either Hetchel or the company saw them, cannot be proved. In addition, current research done by two independent historians, have found other sources that contain the same iconography. You'll love what they've found Mary. :)
Unless or until the historians share what they've found we won't be able to compare theories. I'm open. It's what history is all about: new evidence revising/upsetting old theories. I wouldn't be surprised to discover an earlier deck of cards or set of images that influenced both coffee-grounds and the Game of Hope. There are also theories involving the Biribissi/Biribi Boards (a kind of Lotto, some with 36 images where about 1/3 of them are the same) and the Emblem Books - some from the Netherlands with many of the same images, plus a motto and/or moralistic text - and having spinners in the back for selecting the message that will guide you. None of the texts, so far, are as close as the coffee-ground texts.

andybc

Unless or until the historians share what they've found we won't be able to compare theories. I'm open. It's what history is all about: new evidence revising/upsetting old theories. I wouldn't be surprised to discover an earlier deck of cards or set of images that influenced both coffee-grounds and the Game of Hope. There are also theories involving the Biribissi/Biribi Boards (a kind of Lotto, some with 36 images where about 1/3 of them are the same) and the Emblem Books - some from the Netherlands with many of the same images, plus a motto and/or moralistic text - and having spinners in the back for selecting the message that will guide you. None of the texts, so far, are as close as the coffee-ground texts.

I'm trying to encourage the one to contact you, as it stands. But historians are very wary (as I think you know). I'd always backed the Flemmish/Antwerp patterns, in terms of the actual symbols (which is one reason why I don't like saying Le Normand couldn't have had a GoH-style deck), but will have to concede it probably isn't now.

Teheuti

So, even though she was an historical personage who practiced cartomancy in France in the first half of the 19th century and who left a body of written work (apparently unhelpful on the specifics of divination), there is no surviving evidence of her working methods?
Caitlín Matthews has read through most (all?) of her writings and has confirmed that she rarely describes an actual reading and then in the most general terms that tell us very little.

We have quite a few first person accounts of readings with her. I've included most of those that are in English (or English translation) in a post on my blog (some are in the comments section). They often state how she had quite a few decks of cards on her table of all kinds and would lay out cards from all of them. I haven't seen the mention of a German-suited deck (most of which have little pictorial scenes on them), but I would imagine it would have been one of these common decks. There's no reason to believe it was a Game of Hope deck (that contains both French and German suit pictures - something worth remarking on).

andybc

Caitlín Matthews has read through most (all?) of her writings and has confirmed that she rarely describes an actual reading and then in the most general terms that tell us very little.

I think she went through them all - not an enviable task lol.

We have quite a few first person accounts of readings with her. I've included most of those that are in English (or English translation) in a post on my blog (some are in the comments section). They often state how she had quite a few decks of cards on her table of all kinds and would lay out cards from all of them. I haven't seen the mention of a German-suited deck (most of which have little pictorial scenes on them), but I would imagine it would have been one of these common decks. There's no reason to believe it was a Game of Hope deck (that contains both French and German suit pictures - something worth remarking on).

You've got all the ones that are worth seeing on your blog.

There are a few others. There is one person, the Prussian officer, who states she has some cards that are French and German.

Teheuti

There are a few others. There is one person, the Prussian officer, who states she has some cards that are French and German.
Thanks, Andy, for sending me back to my own blog page.

I see that one person notes: "Her cards, which were of large size and covered with colored hieroglyphics, were painted by Carle Vernet."

The piece you reference is in the comments section, contributed by "Terry":

"she took, in addition to
some seven packs of cards which already
lay on the table, seven packs more, mak-
ing in all fourteen packs. They were,
however, of very different kinds; for
instance, Tarok-cards, old German
cards, whist cards, cards marked with
the celestial bodies, cards with necro-
mantic figures, and I know not what all
besides."

Barleywine

Thanks for the education! I've never been one to take anything at face value if I can at all avoid it, so having some of the background filled in is invaluable. Looks like I would have to learn a few languages to get closer to the source. :)

intothemusic

Even if her exact method was revealed, I do doubt it would work for others. Everybody has their own personal methods. However, aside for being quite intuitive/psychic (which plays a big part) she was extremely adept in many forms of divination (predictive astrology, palmistry, cartomancy) and if one uses all of these different methods in a reading, they will likely excel and provide astounding accuracy.