Giving advice during readings (split off from Intuition Discussion)

andybc

Tehuti:

If anyone (or any internal voice) tells you what to do, they are not coming from a position of love and light. They are coming from a place of fear, ego, control, etc. No one has the right to say what a person must do. For better or worse, this is the dimension of free will. Screwing up is how we learn.

It is fine for a reader to accurately describe a situation, it is absolutely wrong to tell the client what to do.

As we know, (so called) good intentions are very dangerous when they involve controlling another.

And.......Sylvia Brown? I know you must be kidding.

Izzydunne these are your personal beliefs. Nothing else. [Off-topic comment removed by moderator.]

If anyone had taken the divine into their head they would demonstrate it by action.

Izzydunne

[Off-topic comment removed by moderator.]

I am espousing individual personal responsibility. This is not accomplished by going to readers (or anyone else) who tells people what to do. Those who tell others what to do are the fear and control merchants, not I. How could you possible be so mistaken? Unless, perhaps you are a reader who enjoys telling others what to do.

andybc

I am espousing individual personal responsibility. This is not accomplished by going to readers (or anyone else) who tells people what to do. Those who tell others what to do are the fear and control merchants, not I. How could you possible be so mistaken? Unless, perhaps you are a reader who enjoys telling others what to do.

I don’t enjoy telling my clients what to do. That is just part of the role they consult me (or my mother, or my aunts and cousins in Romania, France and Italy) for.

Saying a reader that does that is coming from a place of fear, ego or control is, at least, ignorance of other people’s culture and or beliefs and the varied roles of fortune telling, et cetera.

And I do believe in personal responsibility. But that does not mean a client cannot be told what to do or what is going to happen to them.

Amanaki

I am totally agree with AndyBC here.

Amanaki

Izzydunne

Anyone who tells people what to do is not encouraging personal responsibility, they are encouraging the opposite. Evidently those who despise this concept, do so because they specialize in controlling others.

In addition, if you tell someone what to do, you are partially responsible for the outcome. If it goes badly, it is partially on your shoulders.

Folks this is not a new concept i am presenting, and it is widely accepted in groups where personal responsibility is not only encouraged it is required. However, since some of you folks like telling your clients, friends, partners, etc., what to do, I will step off, and take the show somewhere else.

andybc

Anyone who tells people what to do is not encouraging personal responsibility, they are encouraging the opposite. Evidently those who despise this concept, do so because they specialize in controlling others.

In addition, if you tell someone what to do, you are partially responsible for the outcome. If it goes badly, it is partially on your shoulders.

Folks this is not a new concept i am presenting, and it is widely accepted in groups where personal responsibility is not only encouraged it is required. However, since some of you folks like telling your clients, friends, partners, etc., what to do, I will step off, and take the show somewhere else.

No, it’s just fulfilling the role that a reader occupies in some cultures and some clients' expectations.

Teheuti

Anyone who tells people what to do is not encouraging personal responsibility, they are encouraging the opposite.
Let me get this straight: Are you telling us that card readers should not tell people what to do? Forgive me, but isn't this telling us what we should and should not do? I'm confused. I understand your making this principle the basis of your own practice and I personally find it admirable, although not always applicable for everyone (as Andy pointed out).

I'm not saying that the principle is a bad one. It's one that I generally adhere to in my own practice. It is rather that broad condemnation of *anyone* (your word) who doesn't do what you believe and say.

I got my comeupance upon reading many years ago an article by an anthropologist on card reading as folk-therapy in the poorest barrios of South America. When dealing with disenfranchised people who really don't have the range of choices that most of us have, a different attitude toward the role of divination and fortune-telling emerges than what is found among the more affluent in developed countries. From that I learned to be a little more flexible in my thinking and to consider broader perspectives than just my own priviledged one.

Nina*

I totally agree, Izzydunne.

Amanaki

I thought that for someone who seek help from a reader they kind of expect or hope that the reader can tell them what to do with the problem they want to have solved.

If a reader can not tell what to do in a difficult situation, what is then the reason people seek help from readers then? They want guidence and help. so they want to be told what to do or they want a guideline :)

I would not go to a reader who did not want to tell me what to do next.
but they can also say that, things will go as the card say as long the customer actually follow the advice that is given. if not then the card reading will not be as effective.

Amanaki

Teheuti

I thought that for someone who seek help from a reader they kind of expect or hope that the reader can tell them what to do with the problem they want to have solved.
Yes, readers are sometimes called 'advisors' and usually go further than does a therapist in telling someone what the cards advise.

An acquaintance who used to read at a resort would always have clients clarify their questions by asking them what kind of reading they wanted:
* Descriptive
* Predictive
* Prescriptive (advisory)
(I've added a few more like Proprioceptive and Pedagogical)

For instance, many positional spreads have an advice position. If the 5 of Cups comes up in an advice position in Tarot, I see it as advising the person to grieve (to do what the figures on the card are doing). I don't use positional spreads in Lenormand, but for simplicity's sake, if I did and Fox came up, I might say it was telling the person to be cunning and wily, perhaps even sneaky.

It doesn't mean that this is what the person "should" do, but is rather is the response to advice asked of the cards - a perspective to consider. If circumstances or one's attitude changes the advice could change.