Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Playing cards ARE Tarot cards!

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Logiatrix

No bright ideas, I'm afraid...

Yaboot,
No, sorry, I must disappoint on the potential uniqueness of my playing card/tarot combo...it's really not unique at all, I'm afraid. I thought maybe so, for a little while, but I've since read in another thread that someone saw a professional reader use this poker deck/tarot majors system. So, it's been thunk of before...
*sigh*
I cannot claim any artistic originality, either. I simply acquired a majors-only deck from a fortune telling kit I found second-hand, and worked it into a system of reading with my favorite poker deck. Both card sets remain as is--I have not used drawings or any other means of individualizing them. I just wanted to be able to read this very unique deck of playing cards I liked so much, but the problem remained that I still missed having the tarot majors to work with. Finding the beautiful Grimaud Marseille majors has solved the problem, and the two decks now make an excellent partnership.
:)
Well, it looks like YOU, my dear Yaboot, must be the flagship on a truly one-of-a-kind playing card system. I am already intrigued with what you've posted, and it also sounds like you've got some more ideas stirring around in your creative synapses...
Tell us what you come up with, okay?
:D

Cerulean

I just received a Spirited Away 52 card deck

It's part of a collectors set of the English language books of a rather gentle anime, Spirited Away. Every card has an illustration, but sometimes it's a subtle repetition and sometimes the assignments are not fun. The giant turnip is the Queen of Spaces, so yes, storywise, it might do for a funny reading, not a deep one.

I have a small book of meanings for regular playing cards, so we'll see if this works out...I may try to make it a combined thing with the Spirited Away books as well, either English or Japanese.

Now I have a few of the Japanese language books and a complete set of the English books. I'm thinking of doing a card draw, then a version of bibliomancy by picking a scene from the Japanese book...and then I'll pull a card...and then I'll look it up in the English books to see if there is a phrase that seems interesting or appropriate.

At a very good conference this week, someone introduced the idea of bibliomancy with Calvin and Hobbe's and banana daquaris on a pleasant day in the backyard. Calvin and Hobbes though does seem to have a very intelligent and rather metaphysical bent to some people, so I thought of trying to do it a little differently.

I had wanted to use one of my anime tarots with its English language books coming out sometime this year...but actually it's a rather violent made-up epic. Maybe Spirited Away as a gentle tale...especially since the girl who ends up calling the so-called evil elderly twin woman in the woods, "Granny"...it could be one of those healing, silly things for me.

Mari Hoshizaki

BlueLotus

Reading with regular playing cards can be quite insightful.
Although I am not an expert in this, I consult this ancient Chinese devination tool -set, my favorite in this type of card readings, which proved to be very accurate comes with a lay out spread sheet for 32 cards out of the 54 cards in the regular deck, representing 32 Houses*
Cards from 2-6 are discarded, thus we are left with 32 cards.
After shuffling the deck 8 cards are layed out in 4 horizontal lines from left to right.
*Housese are :
Line 1: Compass, wishes, success, moon surprises, popularity, and abode.
Line 2: Papers, vocation, marriage, happiness, enjoyment, messages, relatives and health
Line 3: Money, seasons, friends, gifts, letters, trouble disappointment, and death.
Line 4: Undertaking, acievements, inheritance, callers gratitude inquirer, luck and the sun.
Of course, the catch is that you have to buy the whole package , i.e book and sheet - called Playing Board - Gong Hee Fot Choy Book of FORTUNE( you may use any deck of playing cards ), in order to read the interpretation of a card in any particular house.
There are other card reading books available, but this by far was the easiest for me and the most accurate as I mentioned.

Logiatrix

Re: No bright ideas, I'm afraid...

WolfyJames

Feebie said:
Reading with regular playing cards can be quite insightful.
Although I am not an expert in this, I consult this ancient Chinese devination tool -set, my favorite in this type of card readings, which proved to be very accurate comes with a lay out spread sheet for 32 cards out of the 54 cards in the regular deck, representing 32 Houses*
Cards from 2-6 are discarded, thus we are left with 32 cards.
After shuffling the deck 8 cards are layed out in 4 horizontal lines from left to right.
*Housese are :
Line 1: Compass, wishes, success, moon surprises, popularity, and abode.
Line 2: Papers, vocation, marriage, happiness, enjoyment, messages, relatives and health
Line 3: Money, seasons, friends, gifts, letters, trouble disappointment, and death.
Line 4: Undertaking, acievements, inheritance, callers gratitude inquirer, luck and the sun.
Of course, the catch is that you have to buy the whole package , i.e book and sheet - called Playing Board - Gong Hee Fot Choy Book of FORTUNE( you may use any deck of playing cards ), in order to read the interpretation of a card in any particular house.
There are other card reading books available, but this by far was the easiest for me and the most accurate as I mentioned.

Could it be possible it might be Gong Hee Fot Choy? I've seen this asiatic cartomancy before and it seems similar to yours, with the houses and all. You can be read here with this method: http://www.mancie.com/futurini/jeu32/index.shtml

The website is in French, but most of the meanings of the cards are in English, simply click on "Cliquez ICI", and you will be read. Once the cards appear, simply click on one card and the meaning will appear on your right. I took the time once to copy and paste all the meanings of the cards at all the positions, because the position of the cards is important. I use this kind of reading once in a while, but not often. Besides, on the site, they say it's the kind of reading you do two three times a year.

I do cartomancy as well, following my mother's footsteps in that domain, I use the same book she used, an old french book based on french traditions of reading cards. I got recently Le jeu du destin antique by Pianik and the meanings of this deck are identical to the method I use, except that, unlike Le jeu du destin antique, I use 53 cards (with the Joker as a wild card) instead of 32 cards, my method is more complete.

BlueLotus

I quote:
"Could it be possible it might be Gong Hee Fot Choy? I've seen this asiatic cartomancy before and it seems similar to yours, with the houses and all. You can be read here with this method....."

This is definitely it ;when I clicked on any card, the interpretation came in both English and French. This is a cool way to do a quick and nice reading with the GHFC for a change.

The English book version can be found here if anyone is interested
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1587611120/ref=nosim/aeclectic/
;)

tatsi

Gong Hee Fot Choy reading at e-Tarocchi.com

WolfyJames said:
Could it be possible it might be Gong Hee Fot Choy? I've seen this asiatic cartomancy before and it seems similar to yours, with the houses and all. You can be read here with this method: http://www.mancie.com/futurini/jeu32/index.shtml

The website is in French, but most of the meanings of the cards are in English, simply click on "Cliquez ICI", and you will be read. Once the cards appear, simply click on one card and the meaning will appear on your right. I took the time once to copy and paste all the meanings of the cards at all the positions, because the position of the cards is important. I use this kind of reading once in a while, but not often. Besides, on the site, they say it's the kind of reading you do two three times a year.

I do cartomancy as well, following my mother's footsteps in that domain, I use the same book she used, an old french book based on french traditions of reading cards. I got recently Le jeu du destin antique by Pianik and the meanings of this deck are identical to the method I use, except that, unlike Le jeu du destin antique, I use 53 cards (with the Joker as a wild card) instead of 32 cards, my method is more complete.

I couldn't view this link, but you can check out this site for a reading and card placement meanings: http://www.e-tarocchi.com

tatsi

contradiction

better late than never

i hate the poll was closed before i found it. i would have voted sometimes. the first time i did this, i was at a friends house when, for some reason she told me about this reading she had done a few days earlier, by a friend who had just bought a deck, and still had to look up all the meanings, (nothing wrong with that, she was just that new), anyway she told me what the outcome card and a few more were, and there was no way the reading matched the outcome, not having my cards with me i grabbed a set of cards, pulled out the face cards, jack's through ace. and read with them. all i used were the face cards. it was one of the most accurate readings i have ever done. i actually had to concentrate on the card, not the picture, not the suit, but the energy in the card. it was AMAZING. what a rush, it had been a long time since i had had that rush, that excitment, that energy, when doing a reading. but, honestly it exhausted me. that much concentration, focus, and energy exchange, drained me. but it was worth it.

contradiction

mandi

Im sorry i have not read all the replies, But i thought i would reply to this post, I always read Playing Cards, the Reading of them were taught to me by my Great Aunt, and sometimes My Gran-Mother at an very early age, as my Family Members always used them for Readings, I found them easier than Tarots even though the meanings are quite simlar, But with the playing cards I found it easy to give dates, descriptions, maybe it is because i was taught at an early age and it was the way of my familys life i do not know, I also found that with Tarot cards the sitter would look at the picture on them and start to feel negative at the time of the reading ,but with the playing cards a majority of sitters do not see what you see and are more at ease, For an example The death card in a Tarot can be some frightening for a sitter they could think "OMG Death" But if the Ace of Spades appears in a playing deck, Death would not enter their mind, And so you say you have many new changes ahead for you etc and the surrounding cards will tell you what they are. So really if i am totally honest with myself Tarots or Playing cards? I would say Playing cards. Also if anyone is considering learning the Playing cards, please do try.
Mandi.

mandi

So sorry to repost, but i remembered a game i use to play as a child with playing cards, i use to call it "ask a question"
i would shuffle my cards and ask out loud my question i wanted an answer to, mine at the time was always about Exams or Boys,
So after i had asked the question 3 times i would count out 13 cards face down, it was the 13th card that i took as my answer, so i would turn it over to see what was revealed.
Spade.......No
Clubs.........Maybe
Diamonds.....Doubtful
Hearts........Yes
maybe you could try this and see how much fun it could be, but i do know i was always told by my great aunt NEVER let another handle your playing cards that you use to read, also to see if a reverse meaning is exposed the surrounding cards would guide you to that. sorry i do go on a bit.
Mandi