Haindl Study- To Get To Grip With the Cards

Tail Of The Moon

I know there has been this study group before but it is now abandoned since 2006. The Haindl deck is hard and I thought discussing the symbology and other aspects with other people will benefit lots!
Please come! It'd be sad if no one joined...

Sulis

Hi Tail of the Moon,

Welcome to Tarot Study Groups :).

You may find this thread useful: Thinking of starting a study group - guidelines

Good luck with re-starting the group and please let me know by private message when a new thread is started.

If you need help with anything to do with study groups just drop me a line.

Sulis - Tarot Study Groups moderator

Moonbow

Just wanted to say that the study group isn't abandoned. I added to it in January 09 and periodically probably will again. I agree that its better to have a buddy though.

bohemiangelnoire

I just bought this deck after seeing it on Facade.net. The imagery is so powerful and beautiful, but you're right I had such a hard time reading with it.

I hope this group gets started as I'd love to start working with this deck after I finish going through the 21 Steps group.

Tail Of The Moon

Welcome

Thank you for joining! Hopefully other people will join soon also and them we can start. :0)

Noir

Having been involved with two other study groups, I just wanted to suggest that you just jump in and start posting your thoughts about the cards, in whatever order makes sense to you. People's interest in these groups wax and wane fairly significantly, so if you are beholden to their interest, the momentum necessary to keep the group going might never happen. Everybody waits for everyone else and then, before you know it, the whole thing kind of fades away...

Tail Of The Moon

Okay, I think the group should begin with some of the Major Arcana to help get into the flow and then we see which ones we want to do. I suggest we start with The High Priestess because at the moment it's the one easiest for me at least to understand. Any thoughts, feelings that come into your head when you look at the card? Post them! They're all important. Now who goes first?

Lised

I'm in the middle of a big transition with work and a move, but after this week I would love to start working with this deck!
I just did a reading on my life situation (Rider Waite) that was really exceptionally helpful - as a side effect I seem to have suddenly gotten over my worry about "what's the right deck for me" and gained new understanding as to how Tarot interpretation "happens" for me.

Now I'm feeling really enthusiastic about tackling the Haindl Deck, which I've had for a little while now but am intimidated by...

One suggestion, Can we add onto the existing thread for High Priestess (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=45651) and do each card in it's own thread, as has worked so well for other study groups?

I'm excited to get started. I'll spend a little time with this card over the next few days and then post my thoughts ....

Nachtigall

I received this deck last week, and it certainly feels good already to work with it - the images are really powerful. I am planning to spend some time with this deck exclusively, putting my other decks aside for a while, and I would love to join this study group.

olarte

Since the study group seems to not have taken off, may I suggest the 3 excellent books that Rachel Pollack wrote? you can find them at reasonable prices on ebay..

I picked up all 3 for about $45.

These books really give the depth to this deck that it deserves.

The Haindl Tarot - A Readers Handbook is great for day to day use.

And the Minor and Major arcana books are excellent for indepth study.

I first dismissed this deck because of the "muddiness" of the scans but I'm so glad I picked up the smaller deck on a whim, up close and now with the books I'm finding that this is one of the best decks for meditative\contemplative personal use.

My interest in tarot started out of my own practice in engaged Buddhism, and mindful living, and in looking for Mediation type cards I found Tarot.... well many decks later, and having walked through the wonderful door into the world that Tarot is. The Haindl seems to be one of the few special decks that have resonated with me in that it merges both practices into a beautiful, complex useful whole.

By the way Another deck that I hold very dear in this respect is one called The Game of You, by Lynn Zavaro. While she uses the structure of Tarot, and many wonderful Budhhist teachings, she never mentions either and so because of this it is an incredible powerful tool and open to those who are unfamiliar with either discipline.

I'm also waiting for the large german edition and plan to trim the titles and white borders to make it the wonderful borderless deck that it should be.

I have the regular size with english titles to use and the large one will be mainly to study along with the book and see all the subtle details on each card.