death as relationship outcome with 4 of cups as clearifier

traversee

this is going to be my first post, so hello everyone!

I always feel some kinda difficulty to interpret 4 of cups, especially if we consider the luxury card in thoth deck (and I'm using thoth deck) has slightly better meaning than the rider waite one. and now, it combined with death card, I don't know what to think.

this is someone I know that confuses my mind but there's no relationship or any kind of flirt for now. I'm very sure that he has some kind of interest in me but we are not living in the same country and we both messed up our chance to see each other when I was in his town for two days. when I returned, I spread my cards and three of disks with fortune card appeared in immediate future, it was quite obvious for me to see him again in a work situation and yesterday, one of my friends told me that we were going to attend to the same event in the early months of next year.

when I saw death and 4 of cups together as outcome, I thought my confusion -or feelings, whatever it is- was going to end soon peacefully and I would be totally fine. but since I heard the "news" I started to feel overexcited again and I don't think this feeling is going to disappear soon.

so, what do you think? how would you interpret death and 4 of cups together? how do they look like to you?

thanks in advance.

AriesVirgoAscending

this is going to be my first post, so hello everyone!

I always feel some kinda difficulty to interpret 4 of cups, especially if we consider the luxury card in thoth deck (and I'm using thoth deck) has slightly better meaning than the rider waite one. and now, it combined with death card, I don't know what to think.

this is someone I know that confuses my mind but there's no relationship or any kind of flirt for now. I'm very sure that he has some kind of interest in me but we are not living in the same country and we both messed up our chance to see each other when I was in his town for two days. when I returned, I spread my cards and three of disks with fortune card appeared in immediate future, it was quite obvious for me to see him again in a work situation and yesterday, one of my friends told me that we were going to attend to the same event in the early months of next year.

when I saw death and 4 of cups together as outcome, I thought my confusion -or feelings, whatever it is- was going to end soon peacefully and I would be totally fine. but since I heard the "news" I started to feel overexcited again and I don't think this feeling is going to disappear soon.

so, what do you think? how would you interpret death and 4 of cups together? how do they look like to you?

thanks in advance.

How did you ask the question ?
That helps to understand the interpretation .

To me 4 of Cups is a wishful thinking card about clinging to people or things excessively .
Without knowing the question it's really hard to answer , but at face value. These two together suggest whatever it was is over and you're clinging to hope for renewal .

AriesVirgoAscending

I do want to add Death card is about transformation . So without knowing the nature of the question it's hard to interpret

traversee

I do want to add Death card is about transformation . So without knowing the nature of the question it's hard to interpret
the question was "how's the relationship between me and him going to be like?". it was a very general question about the relationship.

traversee

and thank you btw, I was thinking nobody would answer this :)

AriesVirgoAscending

and thank you btw, I was thinking nobody would answer this :)

You're welcome .I was hoping others would chime in. I've only been reading for a little over a year. I do read extensively though. For myself and others.

With that said in my opinion and interpretation I see the cards are suggesting that this relationship is over. 10 of swords is about ending a cycle and beginning a new one. Had the next card been positive, like 2 of cups, I would interpret it as a reconciliation .

4 of cups is about wishful thinking and clinging to people and things.

I'm sorry I don't feel positive about your reading .I suspect it's Why others are leaving it.

Keep in mind......with 10 of swords you get a new cycle in life......be open to meeting someone else.
Consult the cards later to see how things might change.

rwcarter

Death suggests that the relationship will be transformative in some way while the 4C clarifier suggests that you won't be able to see what that change is because you'll be too preoccupied with other thoughts. Put together I'd say the relationship is going to change you in a way that you'll only be able to see in retrospect.

AriesVirgoAscending

Death suggests that the relationship will be transformative in some way while the 4C clarifier suggests that you won't be able to see what that change is because you'll be too preoccupied with other thoughts. Put together I'd say the relationship is going to change you in a way that you'll only be able to see in retrospect.
Thank you for coming to the rescue with your experience . I have been thinking a lot on expanded meanings of cards , the less obvious meanings. Like interpreting Pentacles in relationship readings when their traditional meaning refers to career and finances.

Can you explain more how 4/cups in this reading denotes preoccupation and hindsight ?

bluelagune

Four of cups has few posibilities but this all depends on the current state of your relationship... so
Option1: A person has three cups. They have a specific idea of what they must have and they know what the fourth cup should be. They are set in their ways and have no desire for anything new. For example, a person has a set idea what their partner should be and do. All a, b, c ... of the stuff they want. They wont budge on the "requirements" so anything/anyone new/different is discarted or not accepted.
Option 2: A person in the card is not happy with what he/she has and is dreaming about the fourth cup. As an example a person who is in relationship but dreaming of their theoretical oulmate. Not fair to their current partner but its sometimes life.
Option 3: A person is absolutely not happy with what is offered. For example, a man is in love with a woman. He has all their life planned out in advanced to the place where they both retire. However, the girl would not date him and have him only as a friend. So the guy feels friendzoned.
So depending on the current status of your relationship, the options in the above scenerious will change/transform. In Option 1, the person will change to accept imperfections of others. In option 2, one of the partners might suddenly realize that they are with their soulmate. In option 3, the friendzone is over ... well ... or the friendship will die and they will not be friends anymore. But they will be free too.

rwcarter

Thank you for coming to the rescue with your experience . I have been thinking a lot on expanded meanings of cards , the less obvious meanings. Like interpreting Pentacles in relationship readings when their traditional meaning refers to career and finances.

Can you explain more how 4/cups in this reading denotes preoccupation and hindsight ?
Of course it's deck specific, but in the RWS deck, the man is preoccupied such that he doesn't see the hand coming from the sky offering the 4th cup. And as the 4 was clarifying the meaning of Death, which I saw as transformation, the transformation wouldn't be seen at the time it was happening.

There's no solid basis in either of those cards for the hindsight interpretation, but experience has shown me that lots of experiences only make sense in hindsight. So I didn't think that was too far a leap.

Rodney