celtic cross spread

LeaRay

I have tried in the past to use the celtic cross spread, but have found it very difficult to use. I find it confusing. Ihave only been reading tarot for a little over a year. Is it my lack of skill that makes this spread hard to undrstand?

I have started using a 9 card spread. 3 groups of 3 cards, layed out in three lines. I find it much esier to use. Maybe I just need a more linear layout? or maybe just more practice?

Im just concerned because the celtic cross is such a popular spread....

Blessings!
LeaRay

allibee

The CC is not popular with beginners, I think I can promise you that *LOL*

The layout for the CC in particular encourages the novice to see cards individually, without being able to see the 'big picture', and this is because of the up here, down there, over there type of placements IMHO anyway.

Whilst I don't want to blind you with science as it were, and spoil you for too much choice, here is a site that is choc full of spreads. Just save to my favourites on your computer, and it'll be there when you need it :D

http://www.tarotspreads.com/

allibee

lunalafey

OOH, I would not say that the CC is popular, just old and common. The deck I started with many years ago had no CC in the lwb. I did not know it existed for a long time. I was very familiar with my cards when I did finally learn of the CC...I too found it confussing and hard. It took alot of practice to get comfortable with the CC. I have never been fond of it. We discussed this before, not sure where, but I think there are quite a few of us here that use other spreads because of the undesireable dynamics of the CC.
You are not alone and it's not your lack of skill.

Keslynn

There's no reason at all why you should use a spread that you don't feel completely comfortable with. There are jillions of spreads so you're sure to find at least a few that you like and want to use. No need to feel bad if you don't like the CC. In fact, if you search under Celtic Cross, you'll find a lot of threads in which people complain about this spread and do not recommend it to beginners. I personally like it, but to each their own. I'm sure you might like spreads that I'm not comfortable with.

:) Kes

paradoxx

the celtic cross is also known as the shield and staff, the cross is the sheid the line of cards is the staff. the cross is not always the best spread (and i have subsequently have created more than 100 spreads of my own) especially for questions of a more general nature. Although any type cross spread is symbolic of a crossroads or decision making, and the meanings of the positions are not set in stone any more than the meaning of the cards(those would be runes :) )

lawguy51

Learay: The CC spread really polarizes readers along love it/hate it lines. And most will agree that it's not a great place for beginners to start, and yet, for some, the spread is a comfortable place to start. Whether you use it or not, one of the best explanations of how to approach the spread came in a previous thread initiated by Isthmus Nekoi. Check it out:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8145

Lawguy51

zander770

the sword spread

here's another "classic" which i find similar to the c.c. (*note: the "4, 1, and 3" should be in a line w/the "2" to the left...see "the sword"?):

2 1 5 6 7

1 = the heart of the matter

2 = where you (or querent) started

3 = what wilol support you (or querent)

4 = "your chance" / what will aid you

5 = resolution of the problem

6 = a desire to be fulfilled

7 = new information and insights

~Z~770
:T2P