Llewellyn's new card stock

Bluefeet

Llewellyn's card stock used to be really good and then slowly went into decline over the 2000s. Whichever printer they used for Victoria Regina, that card stock is GORGEOUS! Hope they can bring that back.

G6

Llewellyn's card stock used to be really good and then slowly went into decline over the 2000s. Whichever printer they used for Victoria Regina, that card stock is GORGEOUS! Hope they can bring that back.

AGREE! I have a Victora Regina from a generous trader here and that should be their benchmark! I don't have the box, so I can't say where it was printed, but it feels like my Made in Belgium for AGM vintage Rider only the cardstock is still slightly thinner on the VG. The recent Llewellyn Classic I got a few years ago was totally unacceptable. I had to trade it away and it's too bad because it is a new classic. I also got another Llewellyn box kit recently with $34.95 retail price, C'MON LLEWELLYN! Really, that's the best you can do? I bet the whole deck cost them .25 to manufacture in China. It's insulting to your customers and you should show this thread to your CFO.

G6

This is a Lo Scarabeo deck, Llewellyn is just distributing it.

I pre-ordered the Santa Muerte by Lo Scarabeo in the premium edition for $26.95 not because I have beef with LoScar's standard product (I don't), but because once I get it I am going to compare the quality of LoScar's premium edition product for $26.95 with Llewellyn's standard junk for $34.95. I won't be able to do this until October though, so hang tight... 😜😂

Rhinemaiden

If the Everyday Witch tarot is an example of Llewellyn's new card stock, I like it. It doesn't feel quite as durable as the Victoria Regina, but since I will never shuffle either deck, the new cardstock is fine for me. :)

G6

I'd like to know if they really are using a new cardstock across the board because I have two new Llewellyen decks here with two different cardstocks.

1. Beyond super cheap paper thin.

2. Cardboard coaster like.

Does anyone know for sure if it is a crap shoot which cardstock you will get or if Llewellyn really is changing their cardstock across the board?

AJ

I pre-ordered the Santa Muerte by Lo Scarabeo in the premium edition for $26.95 not because I have beef with LoScar's standard product (I don't), but because once I get it I am going to compare the quality of LoScar's premium edition product for $26.95 with Llewellyn's standard junk for $34.95. I won't be able to do this until October though, so hang tight... 😜😂

Premium decks from LoS..it used to mean it came with a nice drawstring bag
I think now it means a better box.
I'd stake my life that the same cardstock is used. Why would they put out an inferior deck?

On the other hand I've not ordered one of their decks for years. Someone here who knows better will speak up if I'm wrong.

G6

Premium decks from LoS..it used to mean it came with a nice drawstring bag
I think now it means a better box.
I'd stake my life that the same cardstock is used. Why would they put out an inferior deck?

On the other hand I've not ordered one of their decks for years. Someone here who knows better will speak up if I'm wrong.

Hey AJ, lol, I hope it doesn't just mean the coffin shaped box! Here's what the description of this special edition says:

"Includes a specially shaped box and cards printed on highest quality stock."

The regular edition doesn't say it is printed on "highest quality stock", which leads one to believe you are paying more for better cardstock otherwise why would they mention it if they were both the same?

If it is just marketing and both decks are equal that would be misleading.

Anybody on here know any answers to these q's? This one and the one above? Please, enlighten us. 😊

gregory

The LoS premium decks I have ARE on better stock - basically, thicker and kind of luxurious.

This one
, for instance.

(hope that links) - I attach a pic of the box - quite different to the regular one.

Attachments

• 1380-large_default.jpg
    1380-large_default.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 182

Penthasilia

The LoS premium decks I have ARE on better stock - basically, thicker and kind of luxurious.

This one
, for instance.

(hope that links) - I attach a pic of the box - quite different to the regular one.

As an aside- I love the idea and hope that LoS does more decks in this manner. Perhaps the other publishers will get on board too- I would not mind paying extra for a deck on better stock (and nicely boxed), and it would still leave the less expensive decks to those who don't have that much of a concern for it.

gregory

They've been doing them for ages - I have several :) But they seem to be limited in number - many of those I have are no longer in their store.

I never got the ones with bags that AJ mentions though. (Mind you, I wasn't trying, so...)