Negative aspects of positive cards

ihcoyc

3 cups. The maturing or fruition of a new relationship is not always a good thing.
9 coins. Let them eat cake.

PageofWords

It's more than just negative/positive, it's an entire spectrum for each card. From negative to positive and positive to negative. So, you could say there's also a gray area there for each card. Not absolutely positive nor absolutely negative--a little of both.

The Sun: you've never been sunburned? ;) Too much sun isn't always good for you. And you'd get really annoyed by someone who always greeting your sad stories with: "look on the bright side!" Likewise with someone always rational when you wanted to be fanciful, or someone relentlessly logical when you wanted to be emotional. The Sun shines wakes you up and makes dreams go away. Good if you're having a nightmare. Not so good if you're in the middle of a really wonderful fantasy.

The Star: The Star is often seen as cold and distant. It offers hope and healing in the now, but that future is a ways off. That's the trick of the Star. This future can come true...but only eventually and if you stay on the path. You could easily get tired, discouraged, bored, or give up. And you might well think: "Thanks for nothing!" in regards to the Star. It was hope, but a distant hope. You might wish you hadn't been offered it at all.

10/Cups: this card promises you emotional happiness that you want to pass on to others, but not financial security. Or health. Or passion. Or success. Or fame. Great if your dream is to have a big family with lots of kids and so you can share all that, and who cares if you're poor, in bad health, and obscure. But if you want any of that other stuff...this might not be happily ever after.

Ace/Cups: All Aces are energy without direction and so are in those "gray" areas. Circumstance determines how positive or negative they are. For someone who hasn't been feeling anything, Ace/Cups (a wellspring of feeling) is good. For someone who feels too much already, not so good; this is one more gusher with no direction, and they're already drowning in water that isn't going anywhere. So, negative.

As for Court cards...why is it that you can't see them as negative? You can't see the King/Pents as someone who might only care for money and finances, not people? Or the Knight/Wands as hot tempered and impatient, trampling others in his race to win?

Thanks for your take on these! Definitely resonate with what you said. I especially like your take on the 10 of cups. And the Star too. Everyone makes the star seem like the best card for things happening so your take is refreshing.

As for the court cards, I can see a negative but I'm still new and learning so it helps to have insight from others. I tend to see a lot of the cards with rose-colored glasses I guess

PageofWords

3 cups. The maturing or fruition of a new relationship is not always a good thing.
9 coins. Let them eat cake.

What do you mean by 9 of coins?

I have seen 10 of Pentacles come out negative for couples, as in a "completion" stage. It's weird to me, because 10 of Pentacles seems so secure and permanent, but sometimes it comes right before a parting or breakup. I suppose 10 of Pentacles can simply refer to an event or happy time with family, but then it's over...

Barleywine

Both the 10 of Cups and the 10 of Pentacles can have a negative side simply because they represent the "last gasp" of the elemental energy before it rolls over into the next suit. The idea is that the situation is approaching a dormant state that has no room left to grow. Because the 10 of Wands and the 10 of Swords already have a difficult connotation, their opposite expression could be a sense of relief that the situation is drawing to a close.

PageofWords

9/Pentacles. In some decks they're called "coins."

Sorry I know what you mean by coins, I meant what's your meaning of "let them eat cake" how is that positive/negative

Mystica7

3 of Cups: A love triangle which will give you migraine headaches, confusion and regrets after a threesome.

Lovers: A love triangle again. Decisions to be made by another party, but those decisions may be quite against your expectations.

Hierophant: Positively it can signify a marriage to come, or hearing divine guidance right. Negatively it's all about things staying the same and boring, quite like the Hanged Man. It's also about rigidity or the rigid attitude of another party.

2 of Cups: It's there to stand for a relationship or a marriage utterly against your expectations, as an obstacle.

Devil: For me that was a positive card to get for relationships, since it signifies great passion, true that, but it's all about great danger and insanity. It actually scares me to see this card nowadays. It can also stand for someone unreliable and that you should definitely refrain from.

10 of Cups: It's really all there is to this, and all is well this way (even if it doesn't feel so to you), why do you ask?

ihcoyc

Sorry I know what you mean by coins, I meant what's your meaning of "let them eat cake" how is that positive/negative

"Let them eat cake" (qu'ils mangent de la brioche) is famously and probably apocryphally attributed to Marie Antoinette, after being told that the masses in Paris are revolting because they have no bread to eat. The idea is of a clueless wealthy person who fails to properly grasp other people's problems because their wealth has isolated them. And that's one potentially negative meaning of 9 Coins.

Aeon418

Feed me!!!

Negative 10 of Cups - Satiety.

An attempt to find fulfilment in material things. A deeper, non-material need is not being met and substitutes are sought in an effort to numb the pain. Ultimately this course of action is unsatisfactory. The underlying problem still remains and the 'hunger' will return.

Examples might include binge eating 'comfort foods'. Or maybe the darker side of modern consumer culture.
"Buying things makes you happy ..... for a little while. })