Tree of Life - [c]Hockmah

AmounrA

qabalah [T.of L] [c]hockmah

These are a few corrospondances for [c]hockmah.

Coming down from kether the next sphere created[reached attained] is chockmah......sphere number 2. It is known as the sphere of wisdom..sphere of the zodiac, of fixed stars.

where kether was the point, chockmah is the line[2 points bridged]. (kether the point develops into a line on the way to chockmah, that line thickens and becomes 'a' plane on the way to binah......and that plane develops into the body)

The planet neptune is associated with it. It is sometimes refered to as the illuminating intelligence. In the Zohar, the first letter of tetragrammaton 'yod' is attributed to it.

Tarot attributations are the 4 twos and the knights/kings [this is in G.D/A:.A:. viewpoint] The egyptian 'god' Thoth is deeply associated with this sphere.

It is the top sphere on the pillar of mercy.

This is all basic and very much from a golden dawn tree of life viewpoint, I am sure JMD will be able to give a broader angle of this sphere.

jmd

This will have to be a reasonably quick post which I'll like to pick up again in a couple of weeks.

The Golden Dawn itself didn't link Hockmah to any planets, but rather to the sphere of the zodiac (hence, the eighth ptolemaic 'star' sphere). However, it does seem that many Golden Dawn derivatives did indeed make the association mentioned by AmounrA.

'cHockmah' means 'Wisdom', and as such is also connected to one of the four cardinal virtues which go back to ancient Greece.

Personally, I tend to see VIIII - The Hermit and XVIIII - The Sun within this sphere.

Alchemically on our path of return, it is the penultimate step, and the two people depicted on some (Marseilles and other) Sun cards are about to unite in alchemical wedlock. This will permit, following their consumation, for the integration to take place (and Kether to be reached, an integrated being, presenting its face to the world as a 'mere Fool').

cHockmah is also the top of the right-hand pillar of Mercy/Loving-Kindness, and is sometimes said to be the Higher Sun (and Binah, which we'll see later, the Higher Moon).

wetsheep1

Hmmm. Food for thought.

While I have to agree with jmd about the Sun, I have a hard time visualizing The Hermit within this sphere. Wierd, but I feel more of a pull towards the Hierophant....?

I have no idea why. Might be all that time I spend down there in Malkuth rubbing off on me (lol). But seriously....any ideas?

Thanks to all, and blessings!
-- k

AmounrA

I place the hierophant and justice within chockmah and place the sun card and the fool in tiphareth......the hermit and death I place in 'daath'. I balance the hierophant with priestess in binah [This though is through my own experiment].

saying this, I can see clearly how the hermit fits in with the sphere of chockmah. To be honest I don't believe there is a correct way for the tarot to be alligned with the spheres [although, as usual with the tree, they work beutifully within them;-)] , and see this role being more clearly assigned to the minor cards.

wetsheep1

AmounrA, pardon my ingorance, but....? How do you mean, more appropriate for the Minors?

Sorry, my head's a little fuzzy I guess and I'm having a time visualizing it. Kinda confusing for someone so new to the Tree, too -- I guess the real question is, how one comes to the conclusion that certain cards belong in certain spots, other than pure intuition.

If what I suspect is true and I'm going to have to start journalling this, too, then there's gonna be a bunch of squirrels looking for homes, if you know what I mean ;)

Blessings,
-- k

AmounrA

AmounrA, How do you mean, more appropriate for the Minors?

By this I mean, the forty minor cards, which are sub divided into 4 groups of ten, work suspiciously well with the tree of life map. The aces corrospond to kether, the two's with chockmah....and so on. [Daath is not acknowledged..but with trump allocation it must be]. The minor cards on the thoth deck illustrate this beautifully, and become full of meaning when the tree map is used in alliance with them.

If what I suspect is true and I'm going to have to start journalling this, too, then there's gonna be a bunch of squirrels looking for homes, if you know what I mean ;)

Do you mean your reality tunnel is on the march, and yesterdays beliefs and concepts , may have to find a new home:) ?

If you are new to the tree, I would advise drawing it several times, filling it the classic attributations, and then making another where you add all your own thoughts to. Drawing the tree and colouring it in also is a great thing to do, sometimes whilst doing this, your fore-head starts to heat up and new ideas flood in.[ drawing highly geometrical 'mandalla' and colouring them in also has a similar effect. :)

Ravenswing

da'ath or not...

hi again--

when hanging the tarot on the frameworkof the tree of life, there is one crutial point that may determine what may or may not be 'valid'.

this point is what one consider da'ath to be. when we go back to the sefer yetzrah, it clearly states: 'ten and not nine, ten and not eleven'.

by this reasoning, the da'ath should not be considered in the same vien as the sephiroth. to me that means one does not place the trumps at da'ath-- that would more or less amount to counting it as a sephiroth.

so what is da'ath? it is oft times refered to as the da'ath (note the 'the') when refefing to the sephiroth we don't call it THE kether or THE chesed...

i use a varient of the tree which has paths from chokmah to geburah and from binah to chesed, and eliminates all paths to malkuth except from yesod.

this gives us a cross point in the center of the top hexagon of the tree ( sephirah 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) i consider this point to be da'ath. note: da'ath is not a sphere, neither is it a path. it is a crossway. a point of intersection where three path come into critical proximity. no where else on the tree ( and by the way, this version was used by the ari, and is delineated in the bahir) do three paths cross. it is a black hole, connected to the white hole of kether.

this is the importance, imo of the da'ath.

okay, so we have 10 sephirah. 22 doesn't go on that neatly, but 4 sets of ten do. there's four worlds, four suits; ten sephrah, 10 cards. there's 22 letters, trumps, paths.

so our best isomorphic one-to-one direct corrospondence modeling has the suits, ace through 10 in the sephiroth, the 22 trumps one to a path, designated by a letter.

unless you wish to disregard the sepher yetzrah.

i hope this clears things up a bit. any questions, please ask. all pm's invited

LVX
steve

AmounrA

Looks like our posts synchronized there steve :)...and Daath came up with both.

My thoughts on daath are that one path goes through it, gimel, the path where the high priestess is located.

I did a meditation many years ago, which left its mark. In it, I was at tiphareth, and was in a temple to Ra, it was a long golden majestic hall, which I had to walk up. Ra was upon a golden thrown ,getting before him, he moved aside, and my path streched into an limitless, ever greying infinitaty. I walked into this abyss, and was aware of the 'high-priestess' being with me [i.e, I was not alone].....as I walked, on either side of my path horrid looking and freaky looking cretures where appearing. I just focused ahead, and kept walking.I decided not to fear them, and they all stared to be friendly-ugly but not 'evil' as they appeared. I then saw a black sphere, which as I approched, it started to 'ripple' into spectrums of colours. On stepping into the sphere, It became clear this was a temple to amoun-ra [hidden sun/star/light]...I got no further in the meditation and came out.

This all left quite a profound effect in me , and the more I played with the idea of 'hidden star' , the more connections I could get out of it. The babe in the abyss......hidden star as stars within conciousness, stars reached from inside.....and more.... these are the types of connection I now have with daath. I think of it a hidden force within the womb of the abyss..a gateway on a bridge.......very much like -is a black hole. I am not so sure about kether being the white hole, in the sense that I think matter/energy materialized/was ejected from daath...daath to me is the place where physical reality of the universe shows up [ the abyss I see as space]....this is why I use the name amoun-ra....to me its a concept more than a name.:)

Ravenswing

what a trip

AmounrA--

that must have been some experience! my visualization/pathworkings have not been nearly as intense as you have described yours.

i guess i see the da'ath as the testing ground for form-- either going up or down.

a little digression here to define terms: i see minimum form as triangle, and minimum structure as tetrahedron, octahedron defines 'reality'-- three space in motion.

form is emitted from the supernals. any 'thing' that drops from these echoes their threeness. da'ath is the testing ground for forms integrity. any 'thing' that doesn't meet da'ath's tests is re-cycled-- into the black hole it goes.

structure come up to da'ath from below. if the structure cannot be simplified into its 'primitive form' it too goes to be re-cycled.

note: re-cycled-- placed into the cycle again. energy re-claimed. da'ath may be the place of emergence of physical reality, but i see kether as the well spring of primal energy. unfocused, unformed, and as is, unusable. chokmah and binah refine the energies. da'ath tests them.

so, when formed energy does not meet the testing of da'ath it is handed back to kether to be re-formed.

hope this makes sense to you...

LVX
steve

AmounrA

I agree about a triangle giving form, but it would be a flat form, the forth point would allow 3 dimensional space.

The tetrahedron, is not a triangle, and does not involve 3 points in reality, although it could be seen as a collection of triangles.

To me , this qabalistically would hint that it is in the abyss, that 3 dimensional space shows up, and therefore everything contained within it. The supernals , [I see] as being certainly primers, and attainable from inside only . i.e they are beyond the range of astronomy and quite possibly physics. [although, there is a new theory called 'm-theory' which looks set to evolutionize superstrings , which seems to get deeper and pre-'big bang [if there was a big bang]..I admit though, I don't have my head round it yet!]

Daath then to me is a gateway, and beyond it is beyond [the] universe

Some people think quazars are white hole, although, I am not so sure.