Housewives- The Empress II

FallynRaiyn

This Empress is a perfectly coiffed lady, with perfect clothes and perfect nails and perfect posture. She has a book of Recipes for Success in her hands held up above a fold away card table spread with all manner of dairy products. The background behind her is old recipes printed on the card.

She reminds me of my great aunts. My grandmothers sisters. They would iron their sheets and pillowcases, they would do everything JUST RIGHT and kind of put my grandma down because she'd rather be outside with her outside projects or inside writing. This is definitely a lady that irons her sheets. She has it all together and wants to show you how you can have it altogether too. But do I have to iron my sheets to be like her?

and why are there only dairy products laid out on the table? maybe because traditionally the empress is pregnant, which would lead to nursing which is milk? I don't know. curious.

annik

I know a bit the feeling. My mom is a bit like that but mainly in the maintenance of the home. At least, she have a reason: allergy. What bugs me the most is about "her way or the highway". She learned in a certain manner and won't really change it.

Returning to the Empress, she gives me more the impression of a seller or those old tv ads. She gives me the impression that I have to buy something. It is more her personal secret recipe for her version of perfection. I am starting to think of a old version of Martha Steward while seeing this card.

FallynRaiyn

I know a bit the feeling. My mom is a bit like that but mainly in the maintenance of the home. At least, she have a reason: allergy. What bugs me the most is about "her way or the highway". She learned in a certain manner and won't really change it.

Returning to the Empress, she gives me more the impression of a seller or those old tv ads. She gives me the impression that I have to buy something. It is more her personal secret recipe for her version of perfection. I am starting to think of a old version of Martha Steward while seeing this card.

i didn't think of it that way, but i can really see it now. ....maybe someone on one of those cooking demonstration shows that's trying to sell you a cooker/ steamer/ fryer/ griller thing. Uggg.

Nemia

She might be the older neighbor, mother in law or mother, the woman who has already reached the pinnacle of housewifely glories and now rules a world of perfect recipes, perfectly permed hair and perfectly manicured fingernails.

This Empress is not the cozy, all-loving sweet mother of many other decks - she's the demanding, judging and teaching mother figure. If you perform according to her standards, she's proud of you and you feel great. If not, well, try again.

She gives us the illusion that housework is NOT sisyphical. Which of course it is. Even the most gleaming perfect kitchen has to be cleaned every day, otherwise chaos reigns. The Empress rules an empire that doesn't exist but teaches us to strive for it. We, the little Fools, housewives on their way to eternal perfection with our own recipes for success.

I love this tougher take on the Empress.

In Germany, where I was born and grew up, there used to be a professional title called Meisterhausfrau, Master housewife. A master housewife had the right to train apprentice housewives in cooking, sewing, laundry, economics etc. There was an exam and it was like a profession. One of my aunts was a Meisterhausfrau and her house was perfection itself. She ruled this house with kindness but had exacting standards. The young girls who learned and worked at her house left it as perfect housewives :) Aunt Gisela, this card is for you! (my aunt even looked a bit like this Empress)