Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles

Lady Eclipse

Hi Tom,

I think the size of the horses is perfect. He appears rather perplexed as if he's in the process of trying to figure out what to do/where to go next. I love his expression and the way he's dressed. Again, your colors are outstanding and I look forward to seeing your deck progress.

Joy to you,
Maralee

Major Tom

Lady Eclipse said:
I look forward to seeing your deck progress.

Thanks for this Maralee. :)

I have to own up that I've been a bit slow to make the alterations to the cards that I decided were needed according to the feedback everyone has been so kind to provide.

I have now done this and have put the cards up on my web host.

You can now see the cards, with their corrections here: www.majortom.biz/marseilles/deck.htm

M-Press

Hi Major Tom!
Just took a quick tour through your site...
Ina way, i like looking at the cards TOGETHER.
There is something about their relationship, escpecially in this deck, that is based on another, that makes the "uniqueness" stand out when you see more than one at a time... It's like one card helps the other to define their identity... The more I see, the better they become!
Good luck!

Major Tom

M-Press said:
The more I see, the better they become!

Thanks for this M-Press. :)

Let's hope you still feel that way after you see my Justice card which I've just uploaded to the website: http://www.majortom.biz/marseilles/deck.htm

I am still interested in all opinions whether good or bad. I'm especially interested in feedback concerning the symbology employed and whether I'm getting it correct in terms of the Marseilles traditions.

baba-prague

What to say? I think you are of course getting the symbols right in most ways - though of course I can also see what you are trying to do with them in terms of updating.

But I'm just not sure yet about whether this is going to work as a serious up-dating of the Marseilles, if that is your aim. As a fun, and appealing deck I think it does work - it's great fun, but I still can't quite imagine reading with it. Each image makes me smile, and that's great. But maybe they make me smile too much to take them very seriously? Not sure - I'd certainly like to see more of them together. I think M-press is right in saying that they work best together.

Does that help in any way? I'd guess not really. Maybe a truly expert Marseilles user could better comment than me. I usually use RWS type decks for reading.

Major Tom

baba-prague said:
But I'm just not sure yet about whether this is going to work as a serious up-dating of the Marseilles, if that is your aim. As a fun, and appealing deck I think it does work - it's great fun, but I still can't quite imagine reading with it. Each image makes me smile, and that's great. But maybe they make me smile too much to take them very seriously?

Thanks for this Baba-prague. :)

Serious update? Hmmm. I am drawing these images only after a week's worth of study for each card. Is that serious? It's certainly proving fun for me.

I want to be taken seriously but I want to have fun too. I want people who love the Marseilles to sit up and take notice. I really am trying to be true to tarot and I think I've come some way toward an understanding of what tarot is.

Who was it that said, "life is too serious to be taken seriously"?

I can imagine reading with this deck. Perhaps week by week as the cards emerge and people can see them together more people will be able to imagine using them. :)

Aoife

I think one of the critically important aspects of the Marseille figures are their facial features - particularly their eyes. I don't feel you've captured the subtlety of expression, Tom.

I think the best cartoon art is where exaggeration is used to convey meaning. For me, your work is falling somewhere between cartoon and naive art, and thereby perhaps missing out of the impact of both?

Major Tom

Aoife said:
I don't feel you've captured the subtlety of expression, Tom.

I think the best cartoon art is where exaggeration is used to convey meaning. For me, your work is falling somewhere between cartoon and naive art, and thereby perhaps missing out of the impact of both?

Thanks for this Aoife. :) I think you've captured the crux of the challenge to me as an artist. The subtlety of expression - especially the eyes.

Between cartoon and naive art is more or less where I've been aiming. :)

I find this really helpful feedback. I'm regarding these images as sketches, which can be revisited in light of feedback. They will certainly need work to prepare them for print. :laugh:

I've redrawn Justice's eyes - did I get any closer to the right expression? Which others don't have the right expression in the eyes?

Lady Eclipse

Hi Tom,

Just popped in to see how your deck is progressing. The Justice card looks really good. I like the expression. He looks firm but willing to extend mercy should it be needed.

After looking at all of the cards together, I must say that I want a copy when it is completed. You've made this deck serious, yet fun, and I think that will appeal to many. Personally, I don't think I'd have any trouble reading with it. It's not too busy, distracting, overdone, or anything else that might turn me off to a deck. It's bright, energetic, and fun. I think even a beginner would be able to jump right in and start reading with this deck.

Have you thought about a name yet?

Joy to you,
Maralee

Major Tom

Lady Eclipse said:
Have you thought about a name yet?

Thanks Maralee. :) Are you sure you're not just telling me what I want to hear? :laugh:

Actually I'm struggling to come up with a name. I'm open to suggestions.