Proposed Comparative Study Group - Poll #2

How should the group be structured?

• Start with the Major Arcana and go in order.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Start with the Minors but still in some kind of order.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Jump around, but do it orderly.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Jump around - throw caution to the wind.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I have another idea!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

contrascarpe

OK, I spelled "comparative" correctly this time. Somewhere one of my Parochial School nuns is looking down at me with ruler in hand .......

This poll - where should we begin:

- Major Arcana
- One of the Minors
- Jump around but in some kind of order (such as The Fool first, followed by each of the Aces, then the Magician, the twos, etc.).
- Jump around randomly
- Other (again, please elaborate via post)

Thanks!

Mimers

I voted jump around, throw caution to the wind.

Honestly, though, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Mimi

Imagemaker

Just because I think a different approach than majors-first would be interesting, I'll vote for minors in order. But if the majority likes majors first, that's fine. Let the games begin!

mooncat2

Throw caution to the wind! Let's be different. Far more exciting when you don't know what's coming next!

miss_apples

I voted for the minors in order because...I dont know about everyone else but personally I find that the meanings for the majors are cut and dry and I think that focusing on the minors would be a lot more helpful.

contrascarpe

Well I think it is safe to say that people want to jump around a bit. That is fine by me. Initially I voted to go in order because I was thinking that jumping around may frustrate people, but the more I think about it, as along as we don't go too, too fast (or too, too slow) we should be fine.

So here is the plan (if everybody agrees) - I will post an outline in a separate thread listing what we want to accomplish in hopes we get our own thread to keep this organized. I will also use this post as a continuous edit listing the cards (with link) covered (such as being done in the Prague study). At reasonable intervals (on the average of once every week to 10 days), I will pull a card at random and that will be the one we will focus on at the moment. I will start the thread with my initial thoughts regarding the card, maybe reference traditional RWS interpretations. From there it will be a free-for-all! Post away - the only thing I ask is that in the Post Subject box, you type in the deck you are referencing and keep that one post on subject with that deck. By all means compare that card with the same in other decks, etc. If you are reacting or responding to someone else's post, please state that in the Post Subject box. In other words, something like "comments on the Golden Tarot". The reason for this is to provide a quick thumbnail for someone to see as they are scrolling down.

As time goes on, I will import comments from other threads as well.

The only thing we need is a name - suggestions are welcome. I can either choose a few to put up for poll or if you trust me I will pick one. Either is fine with me.

Get your decks out and ready to discuss the cards from all of them! I hope to have the first card posted within the next couple of days.

Thanks!
Dan

Imagemaker

Now that we've established that we're jumping around (fine with me) how about "The Frog Approach to Tarot"

Something to symbolise our lively study and not tie it to a mundane "identification of decks used" title.

lunalafey

hip-hop-hippity-hippity-hop

I say jump around- I call it more 'go with the flow' and let the cards decide. I like seeing what sort of undercurrent they have to pass along through 'randomness'.
but like mimers- again, extra strength or asprin free, it don't really matter to me....cuz in a little while, my troubles will be gone...that's right....shake that bottle

Strange2

contrascarpe96 said:
Well I think it is safe to say that people want to jump around a bit.

Get your decks out and ready to discuss the cards from all of them!

Just wanted to say I'm really looking forward to this study group, particularly to explore some neglected and unusual decks from my collection. And as my collection has really grown the last few years (up to 120!), I hope to hop from deck to deck to explore both the commonalites and the unique qualities of a particular card.

Centaur

I too voted to throw caution to the wind.