Minchiate - Temperance (VI)

full deck

(A foreword - mind you, we want to focus on the use and study of minchiate but I'm also throwing in more of the historical and artistic background so as to add a bit more to the postings so I apologize if all this seems a bit pedantic.)

Historic Background

The "Temperance" of the minchiate is a very traditional depiction of temerance or of "temperantia"Lat. or symbol of moderation that evolved from the Greek "Sophrosyne", The cardinal virtue of moderation, self-knowledge, and self-restraint. The Delphic code with its cautionary maxims, “Know thyself,” “Nothing in excess,” “Think mortal thoughts,” expressed the chief implications of "sophrosyne" in the archaic age. (see Temperance and the Canon of the Cardinal Virtues

In the earliest extant example, the Vivian Bible (843-51), all four virtues are half-figures (two male, two female), holding palm branches and stretching out their hands towards the central figure, King David. In other manuscripts of the ninth century Prudentia invariably holds a book, Fortitudo arms and armor, Iustitia a set of scales, and Temperantia a torch and jug. The early ideas of "temperance" seem to refer to a more mundane habit of adding water to one's wine, so as to not get drunk and to encourage a personal sense of moderation.

Previous to the Italian artist Giotto, the cardinal virtues had been depicted only rarely in Italian art, although Romanesque mosaic pavements in Pavia and Cremona show scenes of the psychomachia (depiction of vices being triumphed over by a corresponding virtue) involving other sets of virtues. Very nearly unique is a portrayal of the cardinal virtues through genre-scenes, in the choir mosaics of San Savino in Piacenza (1107), where a duel suggests Fortitude; a king pronouncing judgment, Justice; a game of chess, Prudence; and a scene of revelry, Tem- perance. The mosaic in the Cupola of the Ascension in St. Mark's, Venice, dating from ca. 1200, includes the cardinal virtues in a group of sixteen, which reflect the influence of Byzantine processional scenes by way of Ravenna. The cardinal virtues display attributes popular in twelfth-century French manuscripts: Prudence. two serpents; Justice, scales; Fortitude, a lion whose jaws she tears apart; and Temperance, a pitcher from which she pours water into a bowl.

Early examples of temperance also include a woman with a bridle, as if to rein in one's complusions but, as time passed, it seems that many of the more static depictions of the virtues gave way to symbols that involve some sort of action, thus the action of pouring water from a container into a bowl, as per the attached painting by Vittore Carpaccio (Italian), ca.1460-ca. 1526

temperance.jpg

firecatpickles

"Temperances"

Temperances.jpg

firecatpickles

Of all the virtue cards, I think this one is the easiest to interpret. I mean, what's not to get: take it easy, slow down, don't get ahead of yourself. The list goes on.

But why is this one after the Love card? If we follow the life's path progression, the Fool has just gotten betrothed or married and has started a new life with his and hers. Is this the point at which the Fool (aka the querent, or you or me, or John Q. Public) needs to take stock in one's actions and proceed with caution?

Because of the vessels Temperance is holding, I often interpret this card as centering around the emotions, but the actual history of the card seems to be more indicative of the physical state (earth-pentacles) and therefore I am not so sure: Temper thine wine with water; be chaste (in marriage/monogamous); a penny saved is a penny earned, etc.

KK

Dwaas

kilts_knave said:
Because of the vessels Temperance is holding, I often interpret this card as centering around the emotions, but the actual history of the card seems to be more indicative of the physical state (earth-pentacles) and therefore I am not so sure: Temper thine wine with water; be chaste (in marriage/monogamous); a penny saved is a penny earned, etc.

So perhaps it is both of them, getting emotions on the same balanced track with the physical state? Especially when falling in love (after the love card) it may be hard to keep things balanced. Emotions may overflow, but also we may feel encouraged to do things (to impress the other one?) which can lead to excessive money spending, or taking physical risks. It is a good thing for people to enjoy love but we must not forget about other fun or obligations. Something like that. Well, that's what I thought.

And another Temperance (Etruria)

Attachments

• Temperance.jpg
    Temperance.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 215

DoctorArcanus

Full Deck,
your introduction and the article you quoted are excellent.

I would like to add these two points:

* Temperance pouring water possibly is more effective that Temperance with bridle because it fits the literal (non-metaphorical) meaning of "Temprare" (to dilute). As the Webster says about "to temper":

Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): tem·pered; tem·per·ing /-p(&-)ri[ng]/
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English & Old French; Old English temprian & Old French temprer, from Latin temperare to moderate, mix, temper; probably akin to Latin tempor-, tempus time
1 : to dilute, qualify, or soften by the addition or influence of something else : MODERATE <temper justice with mercy>

* The version of Temperance as a woman with a bridle did not disappear after the XV Century. We still find it in Raphael's Stanza della Segnatura (XVI Century), in Ripa's Iconologia (this edition is from 1764) and also in baroque paitings (e.g. Vermeer and Tiepolo).

Marco

kwaw

full deck said:
In the earliest extant example, the Vivian Bible (843-51), all four virtues are half-figures (two male, two female), holding palm branches and stretching out their hands towards the central figure, King David.

Coincidentally this image has come up in another thread. The image can be found online here:

http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/byt...ey/0001/114.JPG

Kwaw

full deck

DoctorArcanus said:
. . . 1 : to dilute, qualify, or soften by the addition or influence of something else : MODERATE <temper justice with mercy>
Could we not describe this symbol as one of transformative action, by the combination of two opposites, so as to create a balance. Temperance then, being a state of active discernment that can be applied to all things.

In some minchiate, the lady doing the pouring has one breast uncovered. Of that, I am uncertain why they might have depicted such, unless the artist was being cheeky :)

firecatpickles

The exposed breast is a sign of submissiveness. Fluffy pointed out months ago in our Minchiate Reading Exchange that:

fluffy said:
In history bared breasts were often a plea for compassion and mercy...

Is it possible that the Temperance in this case could also be interpreted as a plea for mercy on the part of the querent or subject of the spread? An attempt to ask for the powers-at-be to approach us with caution and temperance, as it were?

KK
:spade:

firecatpickles

full deck said:
I don't know about bare breasts other than Janet Jackson.
ROFLMFAS!

As a gay man I must say that bare breasts confuse me.

But I do see them as a source of power. Perhaps the bare breasts indicate a temperance of the male power with the female? They do hold a mysterious allure to men. What is the old joke that a male's IQ decreases proportionately to the female's bra size? There is a ring of truth to this.

Other reasons for the bare female breast in allegory and art? Vulnerablity, mercy, power...?

[In fact, did you know that it is actually legal for a woman to go topless in NYC? Of course there are certain conditions that have to be met --one has to be on a subway train without AC and the temperature has to be above a certain level, etc. And there may be AC on all trains now so the law may be now moot, who knowsThat is empowerment].

KK
:spade: