Housewives Tarot - Death

Gwynne

So what does everyone think of the Death card in this deck? It's a mayonnaise jar, with flies and other spoiling food surrounding it, and the label says "Everything Expires."

annik

It is one of my favorite card of the deck (with the knight and king of swords of course!). The idea of expiration date is quite fitting with the deck. The vigilant housewife is always careful with the expiration date. But those less vigilant are there for smelling and disgusting discovery!

*time to start up the 'living in the fridge' song...bwahaha!*

Red Kite

I think that this is a very positive approach to the death card. It's more open, and less intimidating for the querant. The keywords are; an unavoidable ending, loss and necessary change. It invites you to throw out all aspects of your life that are past their sell by date. This ending is necessary to make a fresh beginning and a tastier future. This means so much more to me than the usual illustrations of skeletons along with the rattling of chains and enslaved souls. Yet, at the same time, it, like so many of the cards in this deck, gets straight to the point in a no nonsense fashion without sacrificing the traditional meaning.

How I love this deck, it's just soooooo clever!

Eco74

So blunt, and yet so ... practical...

After all, what do you do when something in your fridge has gone bad?
Why, you get rid of it ofcourse, to prevent the decay from spreading.
- And this is just what you should do in other parts of life aswell.

This card seems to say;
Cut your losses, don't let little things lie, leaving them ignored, infectious and eager to cause problems for you. Time has come to remove and replace, or just plain remove. After all, if you keep buying mayonnaise and the mayonaise keeps going bad, maybe you should stop buying mayonnaise. Or atleast get it in smaller packages than that oversized jar.

bladeraven

the card reminds me of how my refrigerator usually looks like during the workweek...lol

KatRabbit

bladeraven said:
the card reminds me of how my refrigerator usually looks like during the workweek...lol

me too lol!! I could never be the perfect housewives on this deck :)

I love this card too - it is one where the image has really stuck in my mind. The images of out of date food really sum up the message of cycles ending, getting rid of the old and bad, moving on. And hey, if you throw out the bad stuff, what better excuse is there for going shopping and getting some new things LOL

Elektra

Red Kite said:
I think that this is a very positive approach to the death card. It's more open, and less intimidating for the querant. The keywords are; an unavoidable ending, loss and necessary change. It invites you to throw out all aspects of your life that are past their sell by date.

I couldn't agree more. And it's a reminder that if you insist upon holding onto things that have gone bad and try to use them as if they haven't, they'll make you sick.

bladeraven

Elektra said:
I couldn't agree more. And it's a reminder that if you insist upon holding onto things that have gone bad and try to use them as if they haven't, they'll make you sick.

*nod* exactly...I think the biggest cause for discontent is constantly holding on to the past past its prime and trying to recreate what can't be recreated...

We need to learn to accept things have gone bad *past it's prime* and move forward..not trying to recreate potato salad that taste great last summer with mayo that is now hosting a new lifeform...

sunflowr

This is probably my favorite Death card of any deck ever! I don't cringe when I get it. I just realize something in my life is getting moldy and stale and past it's due date and I need to "throw it out" and get something fresh! ;)

MercyMe

Yes, I agree it's a helpful image because our first reaction is not to hold dearly to the stinking rotton stuff but to quickly toss it and be rid of it as quickly as possible. If we begin to view the situation the death card is pointing to in that light, we will be better able to let go, and not just let go but TOSS!

~Mercy