Card 62-The Glanconer

Absynthe

To me, the tricky part about the Glanconer is that he appears to be something outside of us, doing things to us, making us believe things that aren't true. But even this perception of him is an illusion. He is just reflecting what's inside of us. We can buy into his drama by believing that others are doing it to us, or we can choose to realise the source of our own illusions which is of course ourselves.

Once we realise what the source of the trickery is, like smoke and mirrors he disappears from our lives. Most people think of seeing what you want to see as being seeing false promise. But it can also be false drama and disaster. Not everyone is addicted to the idea of great outcomes, many people are addicted to catastrophe just as much. Benign circumstances can look ominous just as dead ends can appear promising.

I was reminded of this recently, when the Glanconer paid me a visit and had me convinced that a situation was going to turn into a struggle. The only thing I was struggling with was my own inability to see that in fact, everything was alright. He's a projection of the movies we internally play inside of us. When we react to him we generally make things hard on ourselves and our situation worse than it would otherwise have been. The trick is, not to react. But to go away and examine our internal scripts to find out where these circumstances are coming from.