Tarot Mucha

agviz

I'm trying to understand too. As EarthAngel pointed out, there are two release dates with two different prices. And there are two different backs? Does anyone know details about the differences?

gregory

I was just wondering about this the other day. It certainly looks like that. I wonder what is going on with this deck? Are there really two almost identical Mucha decks ? :bugeyed:
I like the more decorative backs more, though.
Maybe gregory could tell us about the card backs in the LoS deck? Do they look like the picture on the box cover or are they of the more decorative kind?
I've been away. I will get to this over the weekend, but am very swamped just now. I will get it ALL clarified for y'all.

Hemera

Great,thanks gregory :thumbsup: and how about a few scans while you're at it :cool2:

Le Fanu

I'm trying to understand too. As EarthAngel pointed out, there are two release dates with two different prices. And there are two different backs? Does anyone know details about the differences?
There have been a quite a few decks where I suspect the back design was changed after images had been submitted to the press. The Nicoletta Ciccolli is one.

I'd bet 99.9% there won't be two back designs - no, make that 100%. They'll have changed their minds at the last minute.

ETA; Oh and gregory - can I nominate some cards to be scanned? I want to see the unlikely ones - you know, cards where you really can't work into the card design a supine, wafting, diaphanous nymphette with head tilted.

Show me the Emperor. Or the Tower. Or a male Court card.

agviz

What about that cost difference and the two release dates (on Amazon)? Might it be one listing was created with one price, then the price and date were changed but they forgot to axe the old listing?

Hemera

The Sun. And a few of your personal likes and dislikes please gregory.

gregory

OK - so - on a quick trawl I have found a whole THREE naked breasts. Lovers, Devil (included in scans an I think it's a rather neat take, myself) and another one which I actually can't even remember so I can't pretend it bothered me !

All cards requested are attached. Leffy - you can see how far off beam you are. I hope... :) There is maleness aplenty :D

The backs are here too - this is the back I have - it's like the box image. The prices often differ depending on where you buy, of course.

I don't actually DISLIKE any of the cards, but I regret the heart in the 3 Swords, as it looks sort of out of tune with the rest of the image, tome.

The box on the amazon link looks odd to me - mine opens - as you might say - MUCH further UP - just above her head - like all the other ones in two part boxes I have from LoS.

There is only one version listed on the LoS site, and oddly that shows the box split like the one on amazon is. Llewellyn are the US distributor for LoS decks, and I can't believe they have a different type of box. And their site also only shows the one. Why it says January 2015 as well as November 2014 I have no idea - but US decks are always delayed - and the ones Llewellyn will be distributing clearly say January. I am GUESSING amazon have ordered some from a European place, as it is available there. The ISBNs are always different for Europe and the US.

@ EarthAngel2911: I've no idea where this "Romantic tarot" having the same images thing came from but the only listing for the Mucha style images coming out in Jan 2015 I can find is the Llewellyn site one. The Romantic one listed there for January 2015 is VERY different.

The Victorian era scenes in The Romantic Tarot are charged with the powerful energy of passion. Use the cards in this deck to seek answers to all your questions—about love, life, relationships, and families. The power of love is so deep, you can even use it to gain unique perspectives on careers and personal finance.
Set in Vienna, Paris, Venice, and London, these stunning images of ardor appeal to the amorous yearnings within us all.​

If there are more "practical" questions I will try and summon Ric .... But I think basically this is one edition of one of their art decks with the nice boxes, and the prices quoted all over are - as usual - all over the place !

Attachments

• mucha 1.jpg
    mucha 1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 266
  • mucha 2.jpg
    mucha 2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 256
  • mucha 3.jpg
    mucha 3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 244

agviz

Thanks for posting the cards and the helpful information! I like them. Sure beats the Art Nouveau Tarot, which I wasn't able to connect with. I think I might get this one.

Are the cards similar to other Lo Scarabeo decks in terms of surface sheen and stock?

gregory

Good stock, as always from LoS IMNVHO ! - though they do feel somehow slightly thicker. I will get out another LoS deck later and lay them down to see if they match in height... Shiny laminate - Now that I wish they hadn't done, now that I think about it !

ETA I just did. Yes, it's thicker. Not OMG Schiffer thicker, but a bit thicker stock, as it felt to be in the hand.