Light and Shadow by Goepferd & Williams

The Happy Squirrel

Does anyone have this deck?
Have the cards been always that thin.....?

Nemia

I have this deck, and bought it many years ago, so probably... yes, the cards ARE thin.

But they are beautiful and expressive, and while I don't read with it often, I love it and use it for in-depth exploration of the archetypes.

I see it as the "older brother" of the World Spirit, another lino-cut deck that I love. It's such an interesting technique - the energy transfers from the artist to the lino or wood, then via print to the paper - and the lino becomes superfluous after having absorbed the intense power and concentration of the knife's cut. In this process, negative and positive switch their places. It's always a surprise to see the result when you lift the paper from the print.

It's a fascinating process and the results IMO very powerful. No wonder Expressionist art re-discovered these "primitive" printing techniques and valued them higher than the more sophisticated techniques of etching or aquatint.

What a pity both men are no longer alive - I'd love to have seen what their development would have been. Williams' own artistic technique was so different, so delicate and neo-Classicist. It speaks volumes about him that he could appreciate Goepferd's art that's so different from his. He must have been such an interesting man.

The Happy Squirrel

I wish I have discovered them earlier but I only know they existed recently.
This is one of my favourite decks :)
I love the tiny book that comes with it.
Love the art. The haiku-like poems at the start of each card's write up :)
I am going to find out more about these guys :)

Thanks Nemia :)

FLizarraga

Does anyone have this deck?
Have the cards been always that thin.....?

Great deck. Bad cardstock, huge, awkward square cards. Great deck. Hard to trim, too --the majors are like twenty different sizes, and this was one of my first trim jobs. It almost drove me crazy. GREAT deck.

I see it as the "older brother" of the World Spirit, another lino-cut deck that I love.

That's a very interesting, very perceptive observation, Nemia.

What a pity both men are no longer alive - I'd love to have seen what their development would have been. Williams' own artistic technique was so different, so delicate and neo-Classicist. It speaks volumes about him that he could appreciate Goepferd's art that's so different from his. He must have been such an interesting man.

I love Williams' style, but for some reason his cards are for me more an object of contemplation and study.

The Light and Shadow, though, is a reader for me. I like Goepferd's art, its expressionistic "crudeness," less than I like Williams', but it speaks to me at a gut level, something Williams' doesn't.

I have been able to unearth very little about Williams. Yes, he must have been a truly exceptional individual.

The Happy Squirrel

Light and Shadow by Goepferd & Williams

Indeed it reminds me of the World Spirit :) I like that one too :)

The Happy Squirrel

Great deck. Bad cardstock, huge, awkward square cards. Great deck. Hard to trim, too --the majors are like twenty different sizes, and this was one of my first trim jobs. It almost drove me crazy. GREAT deck.

Agree. I don't think it can be trimmed properly.... If you managed, could you please show us please...? :)

The Happy Squirrel

I never thought about colouring them :) That is an interesting idea. But I don't think I ever would :p

FLizarraga

Agree. I don't think it can be trimmed properly.... If you managed, could you please show us please...? :)

Sorry, haven't had times to take pics and post them... :(

I promise I will soon.

The Happy Squirrel

Oh no rush Fliz :) I'll just bookmark this thread and I'll pop in when you post back :)