Victorian Flower Oracle: Camellia

.traveller.

Camellia
A Hidden Romance

Image: A Camellia Lady, eyes veiled, standing amidst opulent surroundings, including sconces, draperies, and urns with flowers. I see what looks to be another camellia to the right, and possibly, foxgloves to the left.

Flower Meanings: depending on color "Admiration, Perfection, Good Luck Gift for a Man, Longing, You're a flame in my heart, Adoration, Loveliness"
I'm starting to see this as the "crush" card, someone has a crush on someone else. You feel something, but you keep it hidden... and maybe not all that well. Something felt but not said. Could represent a secret or not-so-secret admirer. I've also seen this card represent glasses or the need to see an eye doctor.

Ange

As the drawings were done in Victorian times, maybe their values are in here too. Hidden romances were very often happening in those times. And the lady has part of her face is shade, as if hiding.

Could also be the lad who the parents won't approve of.....the wife/husband having and affair....a gay relationship which is hidden from a family.....

I see this card as being exactly what is says on the label......:):)

Ang x

moderndayruth

This is on of the cards i went through on my own. ;)
My first association was of Alexandre Dumas fils', The Lady of the Camelias and of Marie Duplessis, who inspired the literature character - as Ange puts it: "Hidden romances were very often happening in those times. And the lady has part of her face is shade, as if hiding."

We are the Gypsies, come from afar
And in their hands
We can read fortunes of all
When we consult the stars
Nothing is hidden from us
And we can tell you all that fortune holds in store
If we consult the stars
Nothing is hidden from us...
Let us see
You, madam, do you have mny rivals?
Marquis, you are not a model of fidelity...
Come, come, whatever's happened
Shall be veiled by the past
What's been has been
Think only of the future...
Enjoy! (link to youtube video)
The title 'La Traviata' (opera is based on the novel ) means literally The Woman Who Strayed, or perhaps more figuratively, The Fallen one...
Needless to say - my favorite card so far! :D

Barbaras Ahajusts

Besides what everyone else has said, the only thing I get from this card is "The one who waits quietly & patiently."

Barbara

moderndayruth

Barbaras Ahajusts said:
"The one who waits quietly & patiently."

Barbara
It very much resonates with what i feel from the card too, thanks Barbara ! :thumbsup:

Sophie

I also thought of La Dame au Camélias, and Verdi's opera La Traviata. She dies in the story, but I can't help thinking that had she lived, love would have prevailed. The father would have been won over by her beautiful soul and face.

Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic :laugh:

"one who waits quietly and patiently" is beautiful :)

One thing I've learnt about camellias is that they impose themselves not through brilliance, but through sheer beauty that is enduring but dashing too: it's just a downright beautiful flower. This mix of beauty, discretion and hint of exotic adventure is very attractive - people often find themselves drawn to camellia bushes without even thinking about it until they are there, unable to take their eyes from these gorgeous flowers. They have little scent - hence the discretion.

A garden without camellias has something missing.

.traveller.

When I still worked at the nursery, one of my most surreal memories was walking through the cold house when it was filled with camellias. The air was cold and misty, and these gorgeous plants seemed to whisper amongst themselves. Standing in the midst of the camellias, I noticed I was being spied upon by one of the fellas who worked in Woody Plants... he always did have a crush on me. :laugh:

Those were the days, hidden romance indeed :D

WaterSong

.traveller. said:
When I still worked at the nursery, one of my most surreal memories was walking through the cold house when it was filled with camellias. The air was cold and misty, and these gorgeous plants seemed to whisper amongst themselves. Standing in the midst of the camellias, I noticed I was being spied upon by one of the fellas who worked in Woody Plants... he always did have a crush on me. :laugh:

:laugh: :D

Sophie

.traveller. said:

Love it!

ana luisa

.traveller. said:

You were probably the prettiest camellia to him :) Great story!

This card is NOT one of my favorites. Especially due to the fact that the lady seems to be in love with love itself. It's almost like she's waiting for the world, the loved or, someone, to make the move for her... The lady who waits in the coner of a ball room praying that the man she loves will "eventually" notice her and ask her to dance. Hidden romance it is. And a bit on the passive side too.