Journal Entries-For Beginners- The Fool

VerseJunkie

I can see that option as well, now that I think about it, that the cat is his feminine side but I also continue to feel that, while it is significant in many cards, in this card gender is only a minor issue; that the meaning of this card transcends that...

though, the more that I look at the card I can see the cat as a symbol of the fool's feminine side as well or at least his intuitive side... I wonder how thinking of the card in that respect would change my interpretation of the fool as symbolic of my boyfriend at home.

as for the fool walking to the right, it seems that if the fool were heading left, it would indicate some idea of return, of going back. Even if the right does indicate what you said, it is also the direction it seems to me he must walk to go upon his journey.

another thing I am realizing just now is that there is a certain amount of irresponsibility and selfishness concerned with the fool; he is some sort of libertine that does what he pleases and it seems as though any person or thing that becomes attached to him on his journey should be advised not to become attached.

call me a redneck, but it almost reminds me a little of lynyrd skynyrd's Freebird...

Indigo_lady

CARD NAME / DECK: Witches Tarot (I find it more appealing and less intimidating than the more *traditional* options, though the slow pace at which I'm becoming aware of the minor arcans is starting to frustrate me)

FIRST IMPRESSION: Very weird. The first card I saw when I opened the deck was obviously the fool and I was pretty much stunned. I have a friend, who happens to be more than a friend on certain periods (ranging from partner to the source of my misery -just kidding :p ) and the Fool card could not look more like him, not even a photograph could be more accurate, especially since a photograph does not convey much of ones personality. It might be shallow but this was my first perception of the card.

A person who is in a permament quest to discover, tripping and jumping naively over obstacles, but not being that aware of the consequences... to a certain degree selfish, but not consciously, just a consequence of lack of awareness of the consequences of their actions. Everything is new to them

CARD IMAGERY / INSIGHTS: I'm still trying to comprehend the kabbalah so I'll skip the spheres in the card. The fool is dressed in a green court entertainer costum, carrying his belongings with him, embarking on a trip of discovery, and at least in the witches tarot he has a piece of paper, blank at least on one side, which leads me to think he has a purpose in what he's doing, and it's his choice whether he wants to acknowledge that or not
the colors blue and green are quite cheerful and give u hope, and how the grass can be taken as his own shadow is quite a nice effect, considering how u can confuse things if you don't have certain knowledge yet

KEYWORDS: joyfull, naive, gullible, eagored, easy to impress, energetic, new beginning, a new chance, Peter Pan

NOTES/ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. I think just as the Fool says it, it stands for embarking on a new *trip* of any sort. You cannot go back now, you have all u need for ur new adventure (hence the bag, the proper clothing and the instructions, though u might not be aware of it just yet) but you have to be careful not to jump into things without understanding them

spunch

Originaly posted by VerseJunkie:
"another thing I am realizing just now is that there is a certain amount of irresponsibility and selfishness concerned with the fool; he is some sort of libertine that does what he pleases and it seems as though any person or thing that becomes attached to him on his journey should be advised not to become attached.

call me a redneck, but it almost reminds me a little of lynyrd skynyrd's Freebird..."

- And this Bird you cannot change! They also sing ;) And this is, I think so true for The Fool. I also wrote in my journal something about him leaving every place he visits. And my question was: Won't the people he meets miss him once he is gone? And that is so right - he/she couldn't care less. So maybe one way to interpret this card is selfishness?

Anyway, for all of you out there in this study group, it would be so nice if you could post the link (if you have it) where one can see images of your cards. This would be so helpful!

VerseJunkie

minor question: how does one post links?

Indigo_lady

spunch said:
Originaly posted by VerseJunkie:

- And this Bird you cannot change! They also sing ;) And this is, I think so true for The Fool. I also wrote in my journal something about him leaving every place he visits. And my question was: Won't the people he meets miss him once he is gone? And that is so right - he/she couldn't care less. So maybe one way to interpret this card is selfishness?

I was just thinking about it.. if the fool looked old we wouldn't be really thinking his selfish for leaving everything behind, we would say he's wise and learnt his purpose, but since he looks so young and aloof it's just logical for him to be selfish.

What I'm trying to say is that coz of his youth and his lack of experience he's selfish coz he doesn't really know the consequences of his acts and how they hurt / affect other people

Not that one form of selfishness is better than the other (not being aware of a law doesn't absolve you from a crime), but I think the fool deserves some slack.. hopefully he'll learn later on..

spunch

VerseJunkie said:
minor question: how does one post links?

The way to post links is - you copy it from your browser's adress field and paste it in your post. In front of your url you write url in square brackets, and you end your url with a slah and square brackets. I will now post one url and what you have to do, simply quote my post and you will see how it's done. It will be shown in the plain text ;)

http://web.vip.hr/davor.planinec.vip/

This is btw the page where you can se my newest hobby - creating tarot card deck (Oh God, people on this forum will start hating me. I've been braging about this deck lately too much!)

spunch

Indigo_lady, you are so right about the Fool deserving some slack. Yes, while reading your post it just occured to me - he is so young and innocent. He left his home in order to learn something. He does not know it all. He will learn in time. Yes. I don't think he is selfish. I guess that, by coming to the end of his journey, he will return home, stay for some time but then, he will repeat his journey again. He will visit his friends, tell them their stories and learn more. Because, once you embark on a journey, on the adventure of life, IT NEVER STOPS!

VerseJunkie

I believe he is selfish still, but it is a selfishness that he will learn from. The more I look at the card, the more I think about the selfishness aspect of the card (probably because there is great personal significance in the card for me, as I sort of think of it as the card I relate, oddly enough, to my love life over the last three years. Both myself and the boy I love are wanderers and probably selfish in our need to wander and see the world instead of settling down as we probably should) the more I realize that, at least for me, the fool is selfish and necessarily so. I like to associate the fool with the 10 of cups and think, maybe, that the completion and contentment of the 10 of cups is what he builds out of the wisdom he gains from the fact that his life once consisted of being in the state of constant exodus, of restlessness, of eagerness. I almost believe (and this is probably because I see so much of each card in the other, and I see so many of my own conflicting interests between the idea of journey and home) that some amount of selfish, libertine journeying is necessary to build a peaceful home later. Perhaps this is not necessary for everyone, but for me the ideas represented by the fool card and the ideas represented by the 10 of cups are inseparable; I believe that in my life home is not possible without a journey and a journey is not possible without the ultimate reward of home.

spunch

sweetscarlet - for your url to work properly, you have to delete one "l" from your last url. It says [urll] ;)