Aeclectic Tarot

Minderwiz

Yes it could, though if I were looking at Aeclectic from the members point of view I'd use the Flossmoor chart, where the eleventh House ruler is the Sun - which I think shows something of the members expressing their creativity through associating on Aeclectic.

I've also noticed that in the first post charts Mercury is Combust - within 8 degrees of the Sun. Literally this means that Mercury cannot be seen in the sky because of the brightness of the Sun.

Symbolically, if we take Mercury as the ruler of Aeclectic the site, it could mean that we as members don't really see the site, we see the community - ourselves and our discussions. For us Aeclectic is ourselves as a community, rather than the website.

starsongs

Minderwiz said:
Yes it could, though if I were looking at Aeclectic from the members point of view I'd use the Flossmoor chart, where the eleventh House ruler is the Sun - which I think shows something of the members expressing their creativity through associating on Aeclectic.

I've also noticed that in the first post charts Mercury is Combust - within 8 degrees of the Sun. Literally this means that Mercury cannot be seen in the sky because of the brightness of the Sun.

Symbolically, if we take Mercury as the ruler of Aeclectic the site, it could mean that we as members don't really see the site, we see the community - ourselves and our discussions. For us Aeclectic is ourselves as a community, rather than the website.

Hi Minderwiz,

Thanks for your response. I see what you are saying about the members point of view; good point. An interesting point also about Mercury being combust and how that might relate to how the community views itself!

I'm wondering If anyone could post the stats for both charts (month, day, year, time, place) you are currently using to compare? I know that must be contained within the posts someplace, but there has been so much back and forth that when I've tried to sort it, my head begins to spin...lol

I'm in a serious Pisces crisis here :D
HELP!
It would surely be appreciated...
:)
This is a very interesting topic. Thanx for the discussion.
Starsongs

Astraea

Minderwiz said:
In effect the choice of ruler is either to take the relevant House ruler or to take a planet that has affinity with the role to be played and I think we could take either, though one may well work better than the other
Yes, this is how such problems have always been approached in horary and mundane astrology. We need to experiment with each and see which one seems to work in the most apparent manner, and look to the secondary ruler as a "modifier."

The server seems to me to be the "nervous system" of Aeclectic (rather than its body, per se), whose origins lie in Solandia, creator of the site that contains and sustains the cyberfamily unit; as such, the server is simultaneously -- and paradoxically -- a focal mechanism, and analogous to the position of God in a theological structure. The server operates within limits, but its outreach is global. So my personal approach is not to be concerned with which planet(s) rules the server, but rather with overall electronic issues.

It seems to me that even if moderators are extensions of Solandia and operate under her auspices, they still have some degree of autonomy and they work within specified guidelines; and even though Aeclectic moderators are wonderfully tolerant and generous, the bottom line is that their function is to maintain order on the forum. Personally, I see that as a Saturnian function. Others may disagree, and inasmuch as astrology is a mantic art, what works for one might not work as well for another.

In answer to the question, "Who is Mars?" in the Flossmoor chart, I would say that Mars doesn't have to refer either to individuals or functions; he can also represent attitudes and propensities relative to third-house issues, especially as these relate to moderators (Mars opposing Saturn).

(Edited to add that since Mars rules the seventh house of partnerships, agents and open enemies in the Flossmoor chart, he might well govern individuals and corporate entities relevant to the functioning of the site and its rules of order, which may or may not be known to the membership.)

Astraea

starsongs said:
I'm wondering If anyone could post the stats for both charts (month, day, year, time, place) you are currently using to compare? I know that must be contained within the posts someplace, but there has been so much back and forth that when I've tried to sort it, my head begins to spin...lol
Here are the data, Starsongs, which Minderwiz was kind enough to collate:

Original Publication - 14 April 2000, 16:00 AEST
location Brisbane (Coorparoo) - 153 degrees 02 mins East; 27 degrees 28 mins South

First Post Flossmoor - 4th August 2001 11:21 CDT
location Flossmoor Illinois, 87 degrees 41 mins West; 41 degrees 32.5 mins North

First Post - Brisbane (Coorparoo)
5th August 2001 02:21 AEST same co-ordinates as above. NOTE there is a change in the date to 5th August because of the time difference - it was early in the morning for Solandia.

starsongs

Thanks so very much Astraea and Minderwiz...

:)
starsongs

Minderwiz

Astraea,

Thanks for your observations on my rather meandering post above. You are right to point out that the server is rather more than just a container and operates in a wider 'electronic' context - I might have attributed the 'nervous system' of Aeclectic to it's programming rather than the server - but clearly it depends on what we define as a server and on reflection your wider definition seems to be a better approach as mine would lead to over-complicating the matter.

Yes, Mars could indeed play a number of roles, some of which the community of members are unaware of, though as ruler of the sixth and eleventh, these would seem to impinge on Aeclectic's membership in some way.

On the matter of combustion, it struck me that many of us have links to the forum page. That is we come directly to tarotforum.net rather than pass through the main page at aeclectic.net - in effect to us the main site is literally invisible, we don't see it because we don't pass through it.

Glad you're enjoying it Starsongs!

Astraea

Minderwiz said:
On the matter of combustion, it struck me that many of us have links to the forum page. That is we come directly to tarotforum.net rather than pass through the main page at aeclectic.net - in effect to us the main site is literally invisible, we don't see it because we don't pass through it.
That's an excellent point and is wonderfully illustrative of the ways ancient astrological principles apply to new situations. And the same with the server issue. There are so many components in the electronic realm that I personally prefer to understand its rulership in a unified manner; I would find it very cumbersome to try to assign different rulerships to server, software and hardware, as even though each performs distinct functions, all of them are so interdependent. In order to keep things manageable, my own approach (which I am not advocating, but explaining for clarity's sake) is to look for similarities and analogies between various entities and seek rulerships from that standpoint.

With regard to Mars, in my previous post I was referring to the Flossmoor First Post chart, and rereading your earlier post, I see that you were actually talking about the Brisbane First Post chart. Yes, now that I've got my brain straightened out, I agree with you that Mars as the ruler of the Brisbane sixth and eleventh houses would represent functional aspects of the membership -- particularly since the Brisbane chart seems to reflect the First Post from Solandia's perspective. I still think that the Moon is the overall significator of the membership, principally because of the constant flux and change within the group, and the Aquarian nature of our interactions.

Seeking out rulerships is so instructive and the insights gained through that process build so beautifully on one another. One thing I personally must guard against is a tendency to become endlessly reductive ("the shin bone's connected to the..."). There is a line by one of my favorite poets, Robert Creeley, that I love: "Everything is water if you look long enough." At some point, if we follow sound astrological principles in a reasoned way, combining solid learning, logic and intuition, each of us will arrive at similar answers -- perhaps via very different paths. I am reminded of the discrepancies between the techniques devised by Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson, the grande dame of horary astrology in the first half of the 20th century, and the instructions given by William Lilly, one of the greatest horary astrologers in history. Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson's methods never worked very well for me, and Lilly would have thrown up his hands at some of them, but she got excellent results. Once we have a firm grasp of established astrological principles, I think that our own clarity and confidence in our methods tend to open channels for answers to cross.

Moongold

Can I ask a basic question which probably shows how ignorant I am? If I was to do a synastry chart between myself and Aeclectic would I use the Flossmoor Chart as the "membership" partner and then my natal chart as the other partner data?

I wondered if I should use my natal chart or a chart based on my first post at Aeclectic.

Thanks ~

Moongold

Minderwiz

Moongold,

You would only treat Aeclectic (or yourself) as a 'partner' if you saw some sort of partnership relationship developing - for example Aeclectic as a business partner.

I think the most likely thing that you would be looking for is simply contacts between your chart and the Aeclectic one - and I would use Flossmoor for that exercise.

Instead of placing emphasis on the seventh House, take a good overall look. If you compare Flossmoor to your own chart then look what links there are between your eleventh House and your eleventh ruler and the Flossmoor eleventh and its eleventh ruler.

You might also look at the fifth if you treat Tarot as a hobby or pastime. However don't stop there, take a look at any significant contact patterns - and think how you and Aeclectic interrelate.

I'd use both your natal chart and your first post chart and see what differences and nuances you pick up. You might even compare your first post chart to your natal because this was a significant transit point (as you are now a well established and venerable member :) ).

Try and take a wide view and then follow up on anything that looks interesting.

tmgrl2

just another ty for this thread...it is so fascinating! I am trying to follow and learn...terri