Five of Wands: Building A Pentacle?

Centaur

In her book Tarot Reversals, Mary Greer points to the Five of Wands, and states that it is almost as though the five men are building a pentacle.

I could not see this at first, but on further reflection it became very apparent. This would seem to be very significant if we view the pentacle as a sign of stability and well-being.

Any thoughts?

C

Rusty Neon

That's not a new take on the RWS 5 of Wands. David Allen Hulse wrote of this in his _Western Mysteries_. Waite's book doesn't mention this interpretation, but it's certainly a reasonable interpretation based on the imagery.

Lee

In Robin Wood's 5 of Wands, she specifically drew it with that in mind, and you can see very clearly that they're forming a pentacle.

-- Lee

Centaur

It's amazing that I missed such a thing. Amazing and good. It has brought a fresh perspective to this card for me.

C

Macavity

It's certainly an intriguing possibility that I hadn't particulary noticed... without this prompting. I also have a slight chuckle in that it makes me think too of self-assembly furniture or a bunch of (highly expert!) guys putting up a tent! })

Macavity

Centaur

Macavity said:
I also have a slight chuckle in that it makes me think too of self-assembly furniture or a bunch of (highly expert!) guys putting up a tent! })

Haha. Perhaps it could be renamed the DIY card? Or the frustrated with DIY card? ;)

C

Phoenix Rising

So having built a pentacle, what new light is shed on the meaning of that card? Stability through struggle?

HudsonGray

Maybe in spite of struggle, a group can work together to one purpose. OR everyone wants to work to one purpose yet the individual problems come to the fore & make the final product difficult to achieve.

Mostly it's a card that shows it's in transition & no final clear result of their intended struggle has yet emerged, even though we see where it's SUPPOSED to go.

tmgrl2

Just noticed the emerging "pentacle"...but the five as a number
that can be negative, this one seems more innocuous, like a competition, a fake battle....it also looks to me like they are "trying to get it right" but keep getting in each other's way...hassles?? terri

Imagemaker

With a husband who was in karate, I recognized these guys as being in martial arts stances, perhaps going through the kata (practice form) of the moves. And then I read Robin Wood's statement that she had a neighbor model martial moves for her drawings.

So it's a mock battle in that way, getting prepared "just in case."