Nightvale

WhiteWolf66

I am wondering if anyone here listens to Welcome to Nightvale? If so, have you seen the tarot deck they just released?

violetdaisy

I don't listen but I looked it up, it's pretty unique but not my taste.

WhiteWolf66

The images are very Nightvale specific. I was hoping to find another fan to discuss them with. Thank you for looking violetdaisy. I appreciate that.

karen0205

Hi WhiteWolf66
I am not caught up but I do listen. Trying to catch up this weekend.
What do you think about the deck? Do you already have a copy?

WhiteWolf66

Yes, my copy arrived this morning. The cards are very thick, more so than my Morgan Greer deck that is my go to deck but, a bit shorter in length. The deck fits my hand well. Most of the imagery is very clear to me but there are a few that I am scratching my head over. Using the Man in the Tan Jacket for The Devil has me a bit confused. Overall I like them very much and am excited to use them.

karen0205

here's what Hannah Holloway had to say, they are the artist of the deck

TMitTJ is such a fascinating character, because as of writing, he is just -there-. He’s got all these characteristics surrounding him which paints him as a sort of devil/fallen angel figure; the flies, the subway association, the fact his name may start with E, and his possible connection to the angels. But outside of those, he never does anything. He’d be the perfect choice for Devil if only he did something that fit with the card’s meaning of maliciously-inclined temptation. That’s why as of now I chose the Condos, since the condos present temptation (temptations of perfection may I add, which adds the malicious element due to the aforementioned connections of perfection and the antagonist Strexcorp). I think that when TMitTJ makes an active or central move, I will be much more likely to place him somewhere. If that doesn’t happen anytime soon, I may just have to do a standalone picture of him because he is one of my favorite characters.

I am going to order the deck soon, with the holidays there's not much
money for decks right now, lol.

http://bonesnail.tumblr.com/post/78914229578/wtnv-tarot-card-masterpost

WhiteWolf66

Thank you for that. This helps me a lot with reconciling TMITJ. WTNV is currently sold out of the tarot decks. I guess I'm lucky I got mine when I did. The notice on their site says they will be able to offer them again in mid January.

EDIT: The cards I have in my hand are visually much darker than what I see on the Master Post. A fluke of my computer screen? I looked at the picture of Tamika Flynn and by comparison, the physical card doesn't show me the four symbols along with the infinity sign very clearly. Had I not just looked at the post and seen the brighter, clearer picture I would never have known they were there. I see that is the case with many of the cards.

Madame Squee

You are lucky, WW66!

My oldest son introduced me to "Welcome to Night Vale" at Thanksgiving. We listened to episode one together, and I have continued to listen avidly -- in order from the beginning. So, I didn't know about the cards until last Friday when I happened to hear part of a current episode... Too late! They were sold out! :bugeyed:

It's going to be okay, though. My daughter, who always orders me a tarot deck for Christmas, placed a preorder for the January release. That will give me more time to catch up on the series. (I know it's not for everybody, but it tickles me.) Plus (oh, joy!!!), WTNV will send her a random card from an incomplete deck for a stocking stuffer. I can't wait to see which one turns up Christmas morning!!! :D

Karen! Thank you for the link to Hannah's Masterpost!

DaughterOfDanu

I love WTNV, though I'm only about 20 episodes in. I'm very drawn to things that have a Twin Peaks/WTNV vibe to them.
I'm surprised at how affordable this deck is. I got a copy as I usually buy myself a deck for Yule each year. Can't wait to have it in my hands. I probably won't know all the characters featured but it'll be fun learning about them in the episodes and seeing how they fit into the card they're featured on.

WhiteWolf66

My wife and I jumped on the cards as soon as we heard about them and we both got a deck. Most of the images were recognizable to me but a few were not. I'm not certain that I agree with everything. The four suits are not visually distinct from each other and this gives me a dislocated sense of things even though they are named on each card. I am getting the idea that I may have to look at this as more of an oracle deck than an actual tarot deck. I guess time will tell. I'll work them for a while and see how things go.

Edit: The thickness of these cards make them very difficult to shuffle.