Page of Cups

rcb30872

I have no idea why I even started thinking about it, I was not doing anything related to tarot, for all I know I could have been doing something mundane like housework!

So, the other day, I thought about the fish in the cup. It just seemed odd to me that the fish in the cup, the fish seemed to be too big to be in the cup of that size. The other thing that seemed odd to me that it has got his head out of the cup. I mean, we all know that fish don't breathe air, they have gills so they can take in oxygen, and the whole thing, to do that in the water. They don't have the capacity to breathe air.

Then I started thinking of phrases, like fish out of water (the most likely reason why I was thinking of that is my mum's next door neighbours have children and they have a swimming pool, and they play Marco Polo, and one of the things that is said a lot is "fish out of water") and then being out of one's depth.

So, in the end I just thought of being out of one's comfort zone. Doing something that you want to do, but don't want to do at the same time, because you feel nervous, you don't want to be rejected, or you don't want to be embarrassed. We sort of associate that with school crushes, and the whole teenager thing, but in reality we all face that, even in adulthood. If you are in a steady relationship, married, or whatever, then you are not likely to feel that so much keenly to those of us that are single.

Well, look at the boy, he looks awkward!

Does anyone else have any ideas on this, or anything else, for the Page of Cups?

Teheuti

I think you haven't gotten much response to this because the topic has come up fairly often, both here and in other sections. If you search on Cups and fish then you should find all kinds of ideas about the fish. For instance, here's one thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=21512

WalesWoman

Back to cliches... big fish in a little pond.

Fish, salmon in particular are associated with wisdom, which science has now proven isn't only symbolic but an actual fact. The oils in salmon contain Omega 3, which is excellent for your brain function and mental agility. Perhaps it greases those spinning wheels.

But back to the fish in this cup... I think I first learned that the fish emerges from the cup, just as we gain wisdom through experience. The Page is just beginning to learn life's lessons and develop emotional maturity, but is not quite ready to go out into the world. He still needs a limited, contained, structured environment and like most adolescents, thinks he's a whole lot smarter than everyone gives him credit for... especially those in authority, like his parents, the King and Queen (of whom he has driven into their cups... or out of the palace for some peace and quiet.)

rcb30872

Teheuti said:
I think you haven't gotten much response to this because the topic has come up fairly often, both here and in other sections. If you search on Cups and fish then you should find all kinds of ideas about the fish. For instance, here's one thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=21512
Thanks, I really I will look into that later. I just thought that I would share my observations, not really caring if I got any responses!
WalesWoman said:
and like most adolescents, thinks he's a whole lot smarter than everyone gives him credit for... especially those in authority, like his parents
A very good point. Well, for me that would be very much a decade plus for me, I can't remember exactly what I was like, no doubt that I was like the typical teenager, who thought that they knew everything that they needed to know. It is not until you get into the Knight/Queen/King of Cups do you realise that you knew very little when you were a teenager!

phoenixblu

hmm i dont own the deck but have seen the card... what unusual thinking for you but as from any page of cups... definetly something to think about... but with any big fish in a little pond I would say that its time to find a new pond... :D

great thing to make you think about something ... i love threads like this.. gets the brain going!