1JJ Swiss - link to a 1870 deck

Freddie

I thought I would share this link I found on the net with everyone here. It states the deck scanned here is from 1870. I am not sure, but I have read that this deck dates back 1830. The deck depicted has a 'Le Pape' and a 'La Papesse' unlike the 'Junon' and 'Jupiter' of later editions. I must admit I perfer these over the traditional TDM trumps as I can relate more to them, especially 'Junon'. My least favourite TDM image is the female Pope or whatever she is all stiff, stern and buttoned up to the chin. I also perfer 'The Empress' in the Swiss 1JJ for the very same reasons.

I flip-flop between this deck and Conver styled TDMs as I feel both hit the mark in different ways. The scanned deck almost reminds me a bit of the 'Neoclassical Lombardy' deck, yet another favourite TDM deck that I keep on my flip-flop rotation.

Enjoy all,

http://www.tarot5.cn/photo/tarot/tarot_74_1.htm

Freddie

DeToX

Thanks for posting. I like the colour scheme. The replacement cards are interesting. Shame the scans are quite small. Would love to see a Facsimile version of this.

Sumada

Wow! Yes thanks for posting Freddie. I can see this site will take a lot of time to wade through as I can't read whatever language it is :)
Have you found any more antique gems on there?

Le Fanu

Beautiful! I have a hunch I might have seen it before then forgotten. But goodness, it's beautiful. And wouldn't it be amazing to have a copy of the deck without Juno & Jupiter? Thanks so much for posting. It's a real gem, absolutely gorgeous.

I would love to see a facsimilie of this!

DeToX

Wow! Yes thanks for posting Freddie. I can see this site will take a lot of time to wade through as I can't read whatever language it is :)
Have you found any more antique gems on there?

Whatever language it is? o_O Look at the domain extension. I used a translator, simple - standard procedure.

I already checked and it would seem that is the only vintage deck. Here is a link to the deck images.

http://www.tarot5.cn/photo/index.htm

Richard

It seems to me that I read somewhere that the Popess-Pope version came out after the Juno-Jupiter, due to popular demand.

Freddie

Well done Le Fanu! Looks to be a very cool deck.

Freddie

stephanie2211

I have this deck it's beautiful! The cards were given to my Mum in the 70s don't think she really used them so I have been practising with them, so amazing.
Let me know if you would like images :)