Is Justice male or female?

Summersnowflake

For a long time I thought that Justice was a male figure. Maybe because the robe reminded me of the Hierophant and even the Emperor. Later I found that Justice is traditionally represented by a female figure and I see that the figure on this card is in fact a woman. In any event she strikes me as a very masculine looking Justice. Not to mention a cold and austere one. Also troubling me is the rigid posture, unlike some other representations of Justice I've seen which look graceful or triumphant. I'd like to think of this card as "justice prevailing" but for me it's got an unnerving hint of "might makes right".

Does anyone else get an impression like that from this card?

floracove

Bea Aurthur makes me think of the justice card.

Yes, female understanding with masculine determination.

Sophie

Female. All the Virtues are, traditionally. But one thing I really like about the RWS deck is how genderless so many of the figures are. Justice could be either sex, and that's far more in tune with our modern sensibility.

Summersnowflake

Fudugazi said:
But one thing I really like about the RWS deck is how genderless so many of the figures are.

I like this, too. The Fool especially is somewhat youthfully effeminate, could be a young woman just as well as a young man. Kind of an invitation to everyone to identify with the cards and the experience.

After being puzzled by Justice, I'm looking again at this aspect of the artwork throughout the deck and thinking about the extra meaning it gives to certain cards...

FlyingWitch

Female, at least in my mind

poivre

Justice feels to me the same as of the Queen of Swords.

Different cards, different meanings, same feeling. :confused:

Justice would see both sides of a situation where I feel the Queen
has a lot of one sided thoughts. :laugh:

I always thought of Justice being female...don't know why???

ros
:)

tarot4fun

If you're not looking for a female, she does look a little mannish in this image~

She is associated with Themis, Goddess of Justice.

:heart:

Summersnowflake

I looked at Justice in some of my other decks. In the Zerner-Farber Tarot, Justice is clearly female, a very elegant looking angel. I think it's interesting that she holds her spear high and the scales slightly behind her, as though defending justice. In the Chinese Tarot Deck (Jui Guoliang) Justice appears in armor, it's not clear whether this figure is male or female, it's an amazing card visually. The aspect of defending principles and acting in accord with ones principles appeals to me.

inuzrule

I heard that Justice was represented by Athena, so it always made sense to me for her to look so...masculine. After all, she was the goddess of intellect and battle. :D

I kind of find it fitting for her to be genderless, to be honest. It's more balanced that way, and Justice represents that above all else.

Andalucia

Rachel pollack, in her book '78 degrees of wisdom', refers to her as a woman, with the latin name 'justitia'.That's a cool name I think! Until I read this book, I had taken her for a man, but I now like her as a woman.