Tarot's Digital Evolution. Call for Ideas, Suggestions, Likes & Dislikes

Celtictarot

Screen shot of what? Bear in mind I use android as opposed to ios

Callanish

Screen shot of what? Bear in mind I use android as opposed to ios

If you are looking at a spread on the screen that you wish to share you can take a snapshot photo of that screen (Screen shot) and post that picture to FB.
Quick Google search for "android take a screenshot", returns the answer to how that's achieved on Android.

Callanish

Celtictarot

This is the first suggestion I have. I am all happy doing my app thing and then the app does this. Now I am not sure if this is my tablet or the programmer, but, this is when I am trying to share my reading to facebook. (It is share this reading off screen).

http://youtu.be/LNn6vWr5b90

My first suggestion is to maybe not have this happen in an app.

My second suggestion is to have more apps allowing linking to facebook, I have a video of what you get when you try and share, but, I do a lot of readings using my app, and it would be better functionality to share the reading to facebook on whatever app company you are using.

http://youtu.be/jDeHvucYEnk

These matters are important with the general rise in therapists / readers being encouraged to use social media more for readings and it would be worthwhile to have all app companies post to facebook, which allows the cards to have their meanings as well. It is all well and good saying about taking a screenshot of the spread, but in the spreads you generally get what the cards mean in the spread also.

Maybe I am being picky, but, Galaxy Tone with their apps in general, you can add your own meanings and have the app generated card meanings on the facebook without the screen shots, then you have to look through the deck book then you have to type it in. It is a lot better for the querant to see everything in context without having to look here there and everywhere.

I have tried in some apps to take a video of the card and the meaning and add my own. As I said with the use of social media being more of an integrative experience for both parties.

Callanish

This is the first suggestion I have. I am all happy doing my app thing and then the app does this. Now I am not sure if this is my tablet or the programmer, but, this is when I am trying to share my reading to facebook. (It is share this reading off screen).

http://youtu.be/LNn6vWr5b90

My first suggestion is to maybe not have this happen in an app.

My second suggestion is to have more apps allowing linking to facebook, I have a video of what you get when you try and share, but, I do a lot of readings using my app, and it would be better functionality to share the reading to facebook on whatever app company you are using.

http://youtu.be/jDeHvucYEnk

These matters are important with the general rise in therapists / readers being encouraged to use social media more for readings and it would be worthwhile to have all app companies post to facebook, which allows the cards to have their meanings as well. It is all well and good saying about taking a screenshot of the spread, but in the spreads you generally get what the cards mean in the spread also.

Maybe I am being picky, but, Galaxy Tone with their apps in general, you can add your own meanings and have the app generated card meanings on the facebook without the screen shots, then you have to look through the deck book then you have to type it in. It is a lot better for the querant to see everything in context without having to look here there and everywhere.

I have tried in some apps to take a video of the card and the meaning and add my own. As I said with the use of social media being more of an integrative experience for both parties.

So within the context of this thread I think what Celtictarot is asking for is a method for sharing spreads created in-app.

This is on-topic so I'm happy to encourage its perpetuation.

Incidentally, just to be of help. The first video is a software bug. The App closing at the end of the video is the App crashing.
My earlier suggestion of photographing that screen will avoid this and act as a workaround in the meantime.
(On Android "press and hold your smartphone's power and volume down button at the same time for 1- to 2 seconds."
On iOS press home button and power off together at the same time. You should see the screen flash and hear a click sound)

Back on topic - I don't see any need for anything other than a picture of the spread to be handled by the App. Once the App hands over to Facebook, SMS, Twitter, etc you are usually given the opportunity to add comment text around the photo. This is just basic functionality of these services.
Or is there something that you think the App should be adding into that photo for you? Or maybe creating pre-prepared text speed things up?

I'm surprised that App makers aren't making more of this feature as it does offer a marketing opportunity for the App.
In the "Tarot & Numerology" App I include, in fine print, my website URL in the shared image.
However it takes a fair bit of development effort to support and keep it working (as is probably the case with the crash you are seeing in your App Celtictarot). Facebook and the others change their posting code regularly leaving developers always having to catchup.

Callanish

Celtictarot

That was me manually turning it off in the first video.

Callanish

So within the context of this thread I think what Celtictarot is asking for is a method for sharing spreads created in-app.

There is another possibility for sharing spreads online

I recently responded to another thread in this category entitled "tarot software?"
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=230274
The point I raised there was that today the preferable way to offer applications is via a web page.
A web page works in any browser on any computer which is preferable to desktop software or even Apps.

I have created a hidden function in my own App to download my spreads onto the website.
I can then view my spread on a web page and share a link to that page with others.
The web version has some advantage over just posting a screen photo of the spread.
- It has a Facebook powered comment section where you can have people leave comments on your spread.
- The cards have pop up guides as well as links to wikipedia, biddy & aeclectic just as the app does.

Would a feature like this be of interest to anyone for sharing spreads create on Apps?

Callanish

Wendywu

It would be useful if things link to more than Facebook. Some of us hate Facebook with a passion and wouldn't use it if it was the last program available.

Unitarot sends images of spreads to Dropbox, email or the gallery and I like that. I don't want to add the book meanings to spreads. I read the cards and all I need is the images, so anything else is pretty extraneous and if incorporated as a feature I couldn't switch off, would be a deal breaker in terms of my using an app.

rwcarter

I read the cards and all I need is the images, so anything else is pretty extraneous and if incorporated as a feature I couldn't switch off, would be a deal breaker in terms of my using an app.
I don't use tarot apps, but I do have other apps on my iPhone and one of my major gripes about them is "features" that can't be turned off. I finally get fed up with the Facebook integration in a slot app that couldn't be turned off that I stopped using it. (The company's response to my inquiry that Facebook integration was a feature that they weren't interested in turning off didn't help.)

So developers should realize that there isn't going to be any feature that everyone likes, so as many of them should have on/off toggles in the preferences as possible. I'm pretty sure it's much easier to build that in at the beginning than it is to retro-program the change after the code is finalized.

Callanish

I don't use tarot apps, but I do have other apps on my iPhone and one of my major gripes about them is "features" that can't be turned off. I finally get fed up with the Facebook integration in a slot app that couldn't be turned off that I stopped using it. (The company's response to my inquiry that Facebook integration was a feature that they weren't interested in turning off didn't help.)

So developers should realize that there isn't going to be any feature that everyone likes, so as many of them should have on/off toggles in the preferences as possible. I'm pretty sure it's much easier to build that in at the beginning than it is to retro-program the change after the code is finalized.

I agree with this, can't stand Apps that insist that you "sign-in" with Facebook before they let you proceed. I delete them and find others.
For some Facebook's "intimacy" with your personal life is too much to surrender to unknown entities.

The sharing function of my "Tarot & Numerology" App has a list of services that are all optional for sharing with (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Email, SMS, etc, etc).
You need to cover all tastes and channels when offering a sharing option which is probably why not all Tarot App developers are including this feature.
It's a lot of work to cover all those bases.

The public comments on my website and App are run by Facebook.
Each Tarot reader on the website (&App) has a "testimonials" section at the bottom of their profile page using FB comments.
The problem with using an anonymous commenting system is that it is potentially open to abuse & fraud.
Most visitors are smart enough to realise that the great reviews they are reading aren't verified real people.
What Facebook provides, isn't software, but the verification of real people.
You don't need a FB account to leave a comment, it accepts user accounts from hotmail, yahoo & AOL.

Love FB, or hate it, it does have it's uses but it should be entirely optional.

I'm curious to know what digital mediums people like to share their spreads on? (Twitter, FB, Email, website, etc?)

Callanish

Celtictarot

Mainly facebook but I would like to see more twitter.