Portable Magic

Le Fanu

I would use my Tarot productions mini Albano Waite, when I get round to buying the book...

RunningWild

There's always the Pocket Universal Waite. The cards are big enough to see the pictures clearly and it comes in a sturdy box.

Carla

I have trimmed my new, trippy psychedelic Diamond Tarot of its white borders and am set to go. :)

Babalon Jones

Looks really interesting...on the wish list it goes!

Not sure how I feel about all the changes he makes to the ordering and signs of the trumps, though, noticed while looking through the pages of the book you can see.

Carla

Looks really interesting...on the wish list it goes!

Not sure how I feel about all the changes he makes to the ordering and signs of the trumps, though, noticed while looking through the pages of the book you can see.

The book is strictly Golden Dawn, Tyson includes his own personal system for interest as an appendix. :)

Babalon Jones

Thanks Carla, good to know! Probably will have to get one now :)

frac_ture

My copy of the book arrived in the mail yesterday! I hadn't realized that the recommendation was for small decks, which of course totally makes sense -- "portable" being an operative word/concept here ;) -- and not owning any, I took myself right out to my local shop to get all fixed up in that regard. The selection of miniature decks is...well...miniature, as compared to the regular-sized ones, but since they're having this huge going-out-of-business sale, I settled on two decks: a miniature Rider-Waite, as I don't own the grand old RWS and figured it might not be a bad deck to have on hand, and a miniature version of the Secret Tarot, which has a bit more nudity than I'd generally go for, but which is so very expressive! Seriously, most of the cards immediately conjure up the descriptions of them that I've been enjoying here in the Aeclectic "Card Meanings" section. Not sure yet which of the two I'll be using to work my way through "Portable Magic," but at least now I feel properly equipped and ready to begin!

Carla

I wonder if we could do a check-in or study group??

frac_ture

I wonder if we could do a check-in or study group??

Hi, Carla -- I'd be interested in trying this. It might keep me on point, and help curb my tendency to get lured away when distracted by shiny things...;) I really do want to work my way through the entire book and see what comes of it.

Richard

As Carla wrote, the book is Golden Dawn based, so an appropriate deck would be a small Rider-Waite or pocket Universal Waite (which has a very nice, sturdy box). The Waite deck is more or less based on the card descriptions in Book T, which is a Golden Dawn document.